Ruchab91

Sub Choice SQ/SPL ???

Hey guys New to the Forum so dont hate if this is in the Wrong section :P. Alright to the point Im doin an install this comming spring The front stage is

Focal Utopia Tweeters/Mid/Mid bass (1inch,3" and 6.5")

No Rear stage.

This is being installed in a 1991 BMW 850i (This is a Daily Driver)

The truck space i have doesnt allow for a 13"  or 15"sub

So im planning to go with 2 12 inch subs ( Sealed Enclosure? )

This is my first install so i do not have a prefference yet to if i want a lot of bass or a little nor do i have much listening experience to other setups/speakers.

What im looking for from my subs is bass that i can feel in my chest and to have clarity i dont need a sub for a competition or one that can be heard 3 blocks away (At this time :P)

I still wish to have a sub that can get loud at times.

I Currently am looking at the IA Flatlyne 12's but cannot find many reviews i realise this is a sub geared towards "SQ"

BUT wounder if i should get 2 Death Row or Death Penalty 12's just incase i find the flatlyne isnt enough.

Was a JL fan but cant find myself spending that kinda money on 1 sub when i can get 2 subs for the price.(Forums helped me get over the JL name)

Also Open to Other Subs

Thanks for the help :)

Have you invested in any equipment yet?

Have you invested in any equipment yet?

Currently I have the Front stage got it for a litteral steal as i knew the shops owner and couldnt say no LOL.

The HeadUnit i have is a Kenwood KDC-X997

And the front stage Amplifier I have is a Focal FPS 4160 (Class A/B 4*125@4ohm 4*200@2ohm)

Other then that i have not Purchased anything

What is your budget for the sub/subs, amp, and enclosure? 

What is your budget for the sub/subs, amp, and enclosure? 

This will sound odd but budget isnt to much of a concern as long as i dont go into the 5 thousand dollar marks lol im fine but would also like to maintain a bang for buck proportion

Ive seen some expensive things that i just cant seem to justify. and yes i know the Focal are expensive sets but i got them cheap.

Edited by Ruchab91

What are your maximum usable dimensions in your trunk? Ultimately what do you want to achieve? 

What are your maximum usable dimensions in your trunk? Ultimately what do you want to achieve? 

Trunk Diemsions Available are 

Hight 15.5inches

Wide 24 inces

Depth 24 inches could go to 28 on depth.

Looking for Tight clean bass that you can feel and get loud.

thats why im aiming towards closed enclousre as both space and from what i understand better response from the subs with loss of SPL are factors

Edited by Ruchab91

Three subs that do well sealed that I have had great experiences with are the SSA Gcon, Icon, and Xcon. Any of the three will get you what you want, but the higher in the line you go the more power they will take. Another option that I would consider is a single ported 12.

Yea a single 12 ported is what I would do. I have a gcon 12 for sale with a box. I see you're in Detroit, I'm from mi too.

I had this 12 on 200 rms and was so blown away. It sounded as good as a sealed setup too

Three subs that do well sealed that I have had great experiences with are the SSA Gcon, Icon, and Xcon. Any of the three will get you what you want, but the higher in the line you go the more power they will take. Another option that I would consider is a single ported 12.

Thanks for the help Im looking into the SSA subs atm is there a Big difference From the SSA subs to IA Subs or others ?

Also going ported single is an option but waying pro's and cons i came to find 2 12's would work better.

The Trunk in BMW's are very sound constricting so i need the sub to be able to get loud to be heard but still need it to sound good which im sure they all do but would like to kno i got one that does.

Single 12" Ported = Louder Bass(Boomier)

Single 12 sealed = Faster response with loss of Loudness

2 12" Sealed = Faster response with 2 subs :P

2 12" Ported = NOT ENOUGH SIZE :P

Correct me if im wrong, another thing i didnt mention the music i listen to is mainly R&B,Electro,Hip Hop.

So maybe im wrong on the way precieve ported vs sealed

There is no correlation between ported and boominess unless you suck at box design.

I also don't see how you are going to install those Focal's in an 850, not really the right space IMO. You may be much better off selling them since you bought them for a steal and buying something optimal for the car. Location is always the first thing to determine before shopping.

Yea it's typical for a new person in car audio to learn that sealed boxes have a faster response and ported is boomer. But it's not true. If the box design is designed well the ported can have a fast response and sound just as good.

I would do a single 12 ported no matter what sub you choose. Also you spend less money on subs and can put that budget towards a better amp.

I have no Problem with the speakers going in the car i made damn sure i could fit them in the car the car currently still has its stock 12 speaker system and when i do the install I'm taking out the rear stage out (for the time being). as for the "Big 3"  Alt,Bat,Wiring ill have that taken care of when the system is being done. Again loudness Isn't my main as much as it sounding good. I have this thing stuck in my head that sealed is gonna have a flat response across most freq were as a Ported would have more peaks and valleys even when tuned down to the 30hz area. Another factor was as this is my first install Building a Sealed is 10 fold easier then building a ported so I'd made rational that 2 Sealed would generally = the output of 1 Ported with some added SQ does that make sense ?

You would think that's true but it isn't. I would rather go 1 12 ported instead of 2 sealed.

You would think that's true but it isn't. I would rather go 1 12 ported instead of 2 sealed.

Assuming i go single 12 how well do the Upper line of SSA subs do for sound SQ like a Xcon or Zcon vs a lower line like the Icon or the other sub i looked at IA Flatlyne i kno the flat lyne is a diff sub because its under hung but is there a large noticeable difference in SQ I say SQ in the way of reproducing the sound of the original some people have diff Deffinitions of SQ im not to concerned with Transparency id like to know i have a sub :P

Assuming i go single 12 how well do the Upper line of SSA subs do for sound SQ like a Xcon or Zcon vs a lower line like the Icon or the other sub i looked at IA Flatlyne i kno the flat lyne is a diff sub because its under hung but is there a large noticeable difference in SQ I say SQ in the way of reproducing the sound of the original some people have diff Deffinitions of SQ im not to concerned with Transparency id like to know i have a sub :P

I've had the gcon, Xcon and Zcon. They all sound amazing. It's hard to believe that such a loud sub can sound so good. Let me know if you choose the gcon or xcon. I have both for sale in 12" version.

Well its funny that i was originally going to go with 2 12's sealed and am now deciding to go with a single 12 ported talk about complete 180. Anyways my final 2 subs that I'm deciding between is the SSA 12" ICON or the 12" Xcon. I was thinking about the Zcon but from some of the video's out there i think that was a little too much. How much of a difference is there Between the ICON and XCON ? as there is only a 500 wat rms diff

Where are you mounting the Focals in that car? I've almost bought one about 10 times including a couple weeks ago.

The 6.5" Is goin into the kicker panel , the 3" Mid range is going into the Door were the 5"1/2 and 1 inch tweeter is mounted im removing the Stock Housing and making a custom one for both the kicker and door and the tweeter can either go in the door along with the 3" or ill have it mounted into the A pillars i actually took the car to a shop to check if it was possible to mount the speakers in these manners cause i like you was worried some people has stuck 8" speakers in the kicker heaven knows why.  And just to let you know if you do buy an 8 series i wouldnt worry about the stereo until owning the care a year or 2 lol just cause they tend to have there issues :P The speakers will take fabrication to fit no matter what you buy the car came with a screwed up one of stereo system. Hope that helps

If I buy one it'll get a motor swap nearly right away wink.png

That set works WAY better if all the drivers are mounted very close together. Passive and 3 way in a car generally speaking is not a good idea. Personally I think you would be better off with a 2 way if that is your mounting locations.

Love the cars though. We need pics!!

not running them passive :P and i would upload pictures if it wasn't in winter storage atm when the projects done tho i will be posting pics. Really you'd swap the 12 in there what would u put in the car ways so much i mean the only option I'm even thinking of is putting a turbo on it since its low compression engine :P

If you are running them active then buy just normal DIY drivers. WAY, WAY, WAY better than that set for less than you have invested. WAY.

I'd buy the v8 car and make purists mad. Wouldn't be putting the 12 in or probably any BM'er motor. I just LOVE the chassis and ride.

edit: typed passive instead of active Doh.gif

i plan on running a BIT ONE DSP so not worried there soo i think im gonna end up going with a single Xcon Ported that way i have headroom if i feel i need more :P