hatrix

Question about remote gain knob setting...

I have a pretty simple question regarding use of the remote gain knob for my SAX-1200D.

Say I turn the gain on my amp all the way up to max. Obviously not recommended. However, if my remote gain is only set to... lets say 1/4 of the way up, would my sub still be at risk of high clipping and bad distortion ?

From what I've read, the remote gain is just what it's name implies, a quick and easy way to turn up or down the gain without having to fiddle with the amp itself.

So if that's the case, even if the amps gain is set to max but the remote only 1/4 the way up, it should be the same as running the amp itself at 1/4 gain, correct ?

Now I've been testing this out lately, running the amps gain at max but keeping the remote gain very low. My SSD 18" seems to handle it perfectly fine, though around my max volume it seems as though the sub has veryyy slight distortion. I have yet to smell any burning coil even after extended use at high volumes. It does not sound like it's reaching its mechanical limit either.

What confuses me though is how much louder it is compared to my previous gain setting. I had the amps gain set around 3/4 of the way up. Remote gain was always kept up all the way unless I needed to turn it down (however it had a dead zone slightly past half way where my sub no longer increased in volume, which seems to confirm that it can never EXCEED the amps set gain, only allowing adjustment equal to or lower than the amps gain setting).

What am I not understanding here ?.....

Edited by hatrix

the distortion you're hearing is probably clipping. but that doesn't mean its damaging the subwoofer. if you were pushing the sub too hard you would bottom it out mechanically or the coil would get smelly.

from you description, it sounds like you figured out how it works. the amp sets the maximum and the remote adjusts between 0 and that point. 

i'm guessing different amps have different implementations of remote gain.  if you can find the manual it should explain how it works.... hopefully it does work how you've described it. 

Edited by lithium

unplug your remote gain.... set your amp where you need it... then plug the remote in...

the remote will then work like this..

max on the remote. means  you max  that you have already set on the amp.. no higher... and low on the remote gain will be just that.. low.

the remote will not exceed the master gain on the amp.. only go up to it.

What confuses me though is how much louder it is compared to my previous gain setting. I had the amps gain set around 3/4 of the way up. Remote gain was always kept up all the way unless I needed to turn it down (however it had a dead zone slightly past half way where my sub no longer increased in volume, which seems to confirm that it can never EXCEED the amps set gain, only allowing adjustment equal to or lower than the amps gain setting).

What am I not understanding here ?.....

that dead zone as you called it is where the amplifier is producing its maximum (for the given signal). turn the gain past that is just clipping the signal, which is why it is not louder past that point. 

Edited by lithium

As I figured. Thanks for the replies.

I know this isn't the proper way to run gains, I was just curious about it after having tested it.

I also know clipping can be perfectly harmless... as long as it can thermally handle it.

I really must say, the SSD can take some serious abuse. I never knew it could get this loud. Louder than my friends old Sundown Zv.3 18" on the same exact amp (the SAX-1200D used to be his). I still plan to eventually run two of the 18" SSDs. I'm sure it'll blow me away.

Edited by hatrix