Sign in to follow this  
ExclusiveRA

Subs are peaking high

I have noticed that my subs (2 12 inch pioneer champs) are peaking high.  I think my tune may be messed up but I just cant get it right.  It will get real low and then attempt to hit a few high notes.  The amp itself should be tuned with lpf at around 35 and ssf at around 20.  Any suggestions?

Did you build the box yourself to the specs that pioneer recommends? Chances are your box isn't tuned to what you want/think.

Also why is your lpf set at 35 hz?

I want it at 32. 35 is a rough estimate because the hifonics amp goes 30 to 250 so im not really sure spot is correct.  Just try to get as close as possible.

Did you build the box yourself to the specs that pioneer recommends? Chances are your box isn't tuned to what you want/think.

I did build the box to the specs.  The thing is the first few days it was good.  Getting really low and the high peak was non existent.  Then yesterday I started to notice that the it was peaking.

Check the bass boost on your amp. I had mine turned up and my subs would go crazy on higher frequencies.

I want it at 32. 35 is a rough estimate because the hifonics amp goes 30 to 250 so im not really sure spot is correct.  Just try to get as close as possible.

I have a hifonics amp and mine is tuned around 100hz for my 12" Fi BL. On my amp that is between the 11 and 12 o clock positions it hits both highs AND lows very nicely.  My enclosure is tuned at 32hz, most people run their amps between 80-100 or 120 max for lpf

Edit: correct, make sure you don't have bass boost/loudness etc. turned on in your H/U or turned up on your amp, that will help for sure especially if your gains are set to match the H/U's voltage output.

Edited by THX_Elite

You clearly dont have a clue what your doing. First you need to educate yourself as to what the settings are for on an amp before messing with them. The LPF means it shuts off all frequencies above that setting. So if you did set it at 32 it will not play any bass at 35, 40, 45hz etc. You need to turn the LPF dial to between 80 and 100. The SSF will not let the sub play anything below what its set to. So generally you would want to set it around 25 or so unless your box is tuned higher.

You clearly dont have a clue what your doing. First you need to educate yourself as to what the settings are for on an amp before messing with them. The LPF means it shuts off all frequencies above that setting. So if you did set it at 32 it will not play any bass at 35, 40, 45hz etc. You need to turn the LPF dial to between 80 and 100. The SSF will not let the sub play anything below what its set to. So generally you would want to set it around 25 or so unless your box is tuned higher.

Thanks I will do that today.  

Edited by ExclusiveRA

I want it at 32. 35 is a rough estimate because the hifonics amp goes 30 to 250 so im not really sure spot is correct. Just try to get as close as possible.

They roll off, not cut off. The subs will still play those frequencies above, or below, that set point, but it rolls off until it is inaudible.

given its a hifonics ill bet its a 6 or 12 db slope made with bailing wire...