Sign in to follow this  
Rivers

RL-P 12"

I am contemplating on getting a RL-P 12" sub and was wondering if I should be going the Dual 4-ohm or Dual 2-ohm way? I understand the Dual 4-ohm runs at 2ohms and Dual 2-ohm runs at 1ohm?

Amp is going to be a Audison LRX1.400

# RMS Output 1 x 350 Watts @ 4 Ohms

# RMS Output 1 x 650 Watts @ 2 Ohms

# RMS Output 1 x 900 Watts @ 1 Ohm

So does that mean if I were to get the Dual 4-ohm version, I'd be pushing 650w to it? Or is it still going to be 350w?

Which one would you guys recommended? This is going to be in a sealed box for SQ (tight/accurate). Not really into output.

Thanks!

Edited by Rivers

Dual 4 ohm

Wired in parallel = 2 ohm load

Wired in series = 8 ohm load

Dual 2 ohm

Wired in parallel = 1 ohm load

Wired in series = 4 ohm load

I would get the Dual 2 version, which theoretically would be 900W from the amp, but with impedance rise in a sealed enclosure, you won't see that much power.

Dual 4 ohm

Wired in parallel = 2 ohm load

Wired in series = 8 ohm load

Dual 2 ohm

Wired in parallel = 1 ohm load

Wired in series = 4 ohm load

I would get the Dual 2 version, which theoretically would be 900W from the amp, but with impedance rise in a sealed enclosure, you won't see that much power.

Thanks. Would running the dual 2 ohm version increase chances of distortion despite the extra output? I read somewhere about the pros and cons of running stuff at a higher ohm.

Distortion would be neglible on the substage. If you can hear it, you would need to be donated to science :bigok:

Folks, let me side-step a little from the original post. When deciding on wiring a dual 4-ohm sub in parallel (or in series) to achieve a 2 ohm load, where would this parallel wiring be done? from the rear end of the sub itself? If that is the case, that would probably have to be done before it goes into the sealed box?

As you can tell, I'm a complete noob!

You can either do it right at the sub, or at the amp, doesn't matter.

I do it at the sub so I only have a single run of wiring to the amp.

Positive to Positive

Negative to Negative

You can either do it right at the sub, or at the amp, doesn't matter.

I do it at the sub so I only have a single run of wiring to the amp.

Positive to Positive

Negative to Negative

Darn, I can't get a hold of him anymore. How can I tell if the guy that did the install for me had it done at the amp or at the sub? I just went through the amp manual and it does not seem to provide any information.

I do know that there are two cables from the amp to the subwoofer. Would that be an indication?

Thanks.