hondakilla98

10" sub for sealed box .5-.7cu ft, 5.25" deep or less.

I'm going to be mounting subs in the quarter panels of my 06 GTO. I'm looking for 10's to go in sealed boxes .7cu ft or less and no deeper then 5.25". This has been done with success by other gto owners. I'm not looking to hear the downsides of the placement.

Here's a pic of where they are going.

My%20rear%20si_SubInstall.jpg

My%20rear%20si_subdimensions-1.jpg

Any suggestions are welcome, I'd like to keep the price under $350 for the pair of subs.

Edited by hondakilla98

cant do ib off the rear deck? 

I am sure the OP can correct me if I am wrong- but I think trunk/rear deck in GTO is limited by the placement of the gas tank.  They moved it to behind the rear seat to meet our crash standards. 

Edit found this pic... There does appear to be room to work with...These are 8's...I'd thin you cound make 10's work.  Though the Quarter panels boxes are more common.

lC8WP.jpg

Edited by Leedogg

if the sub has a pole vent than you would need something with even less depth. maybe shallow mounts are in order. 

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27183_Alpine-SWR-T12.html

I'm trying to stay away from shallow mount. Another option I've found is the Dayton HO at 5" depth. It's happy in .7 cu ft.

IB off the rear deck is possible, but not with much output. There's room for shallow 8's, which isn't enough cone area for me.

if the sub has a pole vent than you would need something with even less depth. maybe shallow mounts are in order. 

I'm trying to stay away from shallow mount. Another option I've found is the Dayton HO at 5" depth. It's happy in .7 cu ft.

IB off the rear deck is possible, but not with much output. There's room for shallow 8's, which isn't enough cone area for me.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss265ho-4-10-reference-ho-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-462

that dayton? maybe you ment the 8"?  5.37" depth and has a pole vent. maybe with some fiberglass work you could make it work. 

the only point in favor of the shallow mount is that you could go with a 12" so you might not loose much displacement. try modeling them. 

what about pairs of 8s for each side? dayton ho 8, jbl gto804, shit like that? 

I am sure the OP can correct me if I am wrong- but I think trunk/rear deck in GTO is limited by the placement of the gas tank.  They moved it to behind the rear seat to meet our crash standards. 

Edit found this pic... There does appear to be room to work with...These are 8's...I'd thin you cound make 10's work.  Though the Quarter panels boxes are more common.

lC8WP.jpg

ya that wont work.. 

I've done dual 15s sealed in the spare tire well before

In a GTO? If I had fiberglass skills I might do that.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss265ho-4-10-reference-ho-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-462

that dayton? maybe you ment the 8"? 5.37" depth and has a pole vent. maybe with some fiberglass work you could make it work.

the only point in favor of the shallow mount is that you could go with a 12" so you might not loose much displacement. try modeling them.

what about pairs of 8s for each side? dayton ho 8, jbl gto804, shit like that?

I hadn't looked at the specs. Just saw it listed on a forum as 5", obviously that was wrong. I'll look into shallow 12's that work in .7

In a GTO? If I had fiberglass skills I might do that.

Its not hard really, very easy you could do it.

4-8's have been suggested instead of 2-10's. While exploring that option, I found the Tang Band W8-740P. They are 8's that are 4.75" deep, 12mm xmax, only need .11 cu ft sealed,  and if I buy 4 they are $74 each at parts express. http://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w8-740p-8-subwoofer--264-854  I could run 4 of these sealed in a very small box, have more cone area than 2-10's, and similar power handling. TB says they will handle 300 watts on music, not that they would see that much on a regular basis. I'm only going to run 45 watts per channel for my front stage.

Edited by hondakilla98

I still say model them up and compare a few options

Finding another set of IDQ10V2 is going to be a pain, mark that off the list. I modeled the TB 8's. I'm not impressed with the low end sealed, and I'm not going ported. Looked around at some other 8's, and I'm too cheap to pay for 4 quality 8's that work well sealed. So back to shallow 10's. Surprisingly I find sundown makes a "shallow" 10 that works sealed and likes small boxes. The SD-2 looks decent, but still a little lacking on the bottom end. Of course this is the first time I've modeled sealed subs, and I'm hoping I'm using WINISD correctly. Here's the graph.

SUNDOWNSD-210WINISD.png

go to the "spl" graph and compare a few options with the amount of power they're would get. you can knock down the high end to flatten response. cabin gain will help as well. 

go to the "spl" graph and compare a few options with the amount of power they're would get. you can knock down the high end to flatten response. cabin gain will help as well. 

I'm wondering if I put the sub in properly. So I used a tutorial from an HT forum and put the info in again. My first problem is Sundown doesn't list SD. Everything else seems fine except VAS, for some reason it calculates it at .06 L. 

Second problem is I'm not sure which type of crossover to select for the lowpass filter. Butterworth, linkwitz? I'm assuming I'll want to select 4th order.

Third, how much of a difference will cabin gain make?

I'm looking at .45-.5 cu ft net for each SD-2 10 D4. These will have as much power as they need, with 1500 rms available.

Here's the graph with both input methods and thiele listed. And 4th order Butterworth @80hz filter on both.

sd2windisd.png

Edited by hondakilla98

I'm wondering if I put the sub in properly. So I used a tutorial from an HT forum and put the info in again. My first problem is Sundown doesn't list SD. Everything else seems fine except VAS, for some reason it calculates it at .06 L. 

Second problem is I'm not sure which type of crossover to select for the lowpass filter. Butterworth, linkwitz? I'm assuming I'll want to select 4th order.

Third, how much of a difference will cabin gain make?

I'm looking at .45-.5 cu ft net for each SD-2 10 D4. These will have as much power as they need, with 1500 rms available.

Here's the graph with both input methods and thiele listed. And 4th order Butterworth @80hz filter on both.

sd2windisd.png

vas is given, so if you have xmax it can calculate sd.  

cabin gain is basically an effect produced by relative small size of the car's interior which boost frequencies below a certain point by about 12db/octave. 

http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/xferfunct.html

i plugged some subs into winisd. i'll post them for you in a min. 

Edited by lithium

this is what i ment by going to the spl display. 

7thyb7t.png

i threw in that shallow alpine type r, which isn't that great it seems, and a dcon 10 in a ported box. when you include cabin gain the frequency response of the ported sub will have a hugely exaggerated low end (so people enjoy this). while the sealed systems will be closer to a flat response. 

i modeled the jbl gto 8" (2 per box) vs the sundown and its pretty much a wash.  less than 1db difference isn't audible. 
ZGuVo4S.png

someone mentioned a 15" sealed in the spare tire well. here is a xcon 15" on 1500wrms in 2.2cuft  VS 2 sd10-2 on 1000wrms

BRYxxGk.png

the strength of the xcon 15 is that you could tailor the response to your liking and still have spl to spare compared to the 10" options. 

this is what i ment by going to the spl display.

7thyb7t.png

i threw in that shallow alpine type r, which isn't that great it seems, and a dcon 10 in a ported box. when you include cabin gain the frequency response of the ported sub will have a hugely exaggerated low end (so people enjoy this). while the sealed systems will be closer to a flat response.

i modeled the jbl gto 8" (2 per box) vs the sundown and its pretty much a wash. less than 1db difference isn't audible.

ZGuVo4S.png

someone mentioned a 15" sealed in the spare tire well. here is a xcon 15" on 1500wrms in 2.2cuft VS 2 sd10-2 on 1000wrms

BRYxxGk.png

the strength of the xcon 15 is that you could tailor the response to your liking and still have spl to spare compared to the 10" options.

Thanks for the help. It looks like I'll be ordering a pair of SD-2 10 D4. My previous two setups were ported with a flat response. They were a little too heavy on the bottom end. Lately I've been enjoying the JL 12W6V2 sealed setup in my jeep. So I think I'll be happy with a sealed pair of tens in the GTO. Maybe I won't have fight trunk rattle for once!

sounds good. i would pick up some CCF to decouple all the panels around the sub enclosures. i assume they'll be prone to rattle the most. 

sounds good. i would pick up some CCF to decouple all the panels around the sub enclosures. i assume they'll be prone to rattle the most.

I have ccf, and deadener for that area. Any panels that get pulled will get ccf, the doors will get full treatment. Edited by hondakilla98