bdawson72

2 12RL-s's vs 3 Si Mag 12's

Which setup should i use  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which setup should i use

• 2 RL-S 12's
    • 3 SI Mag 12's

hopefully it wont be much more than a 2500D

people have claimed something in the range of 300+ amps at full tilt, but you wont be running at full tilt all the time

3 mags 12s ported or sealed? vs the 2 RL-S sealed or ported?

the Rl-S proform decently ported. there peaky and very inefficent. they don't have the proper dampning for ported aligments and they def need alot more power than the mags.

the mags on the other hand are much more ideal ported and need about 1K to get loud(each). They have the proper dampning both mechinal and electrical as well as have enough surface area to keep extremely cool even with 1200 RMS. the mags would have about 60in^2 of cone area and about 1000 watts MORE power handling before compression. they need smaller boxes and have just as much displacment.

both will be ported......and i will either have 1 hifonics cyclops or 3 jl 1000/1's powering them......it just depends on how much money i have but i was looking at the rl-s because i heard that it was a low end monster

the Rl-S proform decently ported. there peaky and very inefficent. they don't have the proper dampning for ported aligments and they def need alot more power than the mags.

???? the rl-s perform awesomely ported and with very little power. as in a 136.6 legal at 34hz with just 1200wrms off a factory gm head unit. and that's a 12 in 2.5ft^3 tuned to 28hz and 32in^2 of port.

are they as efficient as a mag? no. but i ran the new proto 15 mag as well. and output was very, very close to the rl-s 12. across the board. but i'll say this, they were in pretty identical boxes (2.5 cubes, though the mag box was tuned to 34hz and 50in^2 of port) so i belive the mag was handicapped a bit.

all in all, it's a budget decision IMO. i'd love to throw two 15 rl-s against 3 15 mags just for kicks. both are great subs backed by great people. would be an awesome h2h...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

???? the rl-s perform awesomely ported and with very little power. as in a 136.6 legal at 34hz with just 1200wrms off a factory gm head unit. and that's a 12 in 2.5ft^3 tuned to 28hz and 32in^2 of port.

are they as efficient as a mag? no. but i ran the new proto 15 mag as well. and output was very, very close to the rl-s 12. across the board. but i'll say this, they were in pretty identical boxes (2.5 cubes, though the mag box was tuned to 34hz and 50in^2 of port) so i belive the mag was handicapped a bit.

all in all, it's a budget decision IMO. i'd love to throw two 15 rl-s against 3 15 mags just for kicks. both are great subs backed by great people. would be an awesome h2h...

let me explain. how much a woofer moves with a given input and how much output with the input is different.

dampning is a different matter at hand. you know how much dampning is suggested for ported aligments? both mechinal and electrical dampning as well as BL is important in a ported aligment.

you could do what you like, i don't really care. I know for a fact that Mags are ideal both ported and sealed. while the RL-s isn't. im not doubting the RL-s or saying its bad or anything, jsut that the Mag is much more ideal ported and it will be louder with the given input.

i made 2 punch HE2 10s do mid 140s @ 36hz on the TL with 1k, so whats your point? oh an it Was a daily install.

Edited by dirtysouthboss

let me explain. how much a woofer moves with a given input and how much output with the input is different.

dampning is a different matter at hand. you know how much dampning is suggested for ported aligments? both mechinal and electrical dampning as well as BL is important in a ported aligment.

you could do what you like, i don't really care. I know for a fact that Mags are ideal both ported and sealed. while the RL-s isn't. im not doubting the RL-s or saying its bad or anything, jsut that the Mag is much more ideal ported and it will be louder with the given input.

i made 2 punch HE2 10s do mid 140s @ 36hz on the TL with 1k, so whats your point? oh an it Was a daily install.

nice...my point was the rl-s isn't as inefficient as everyone is saying. it's not the most efficient sub, sure. but it doesn't need a ton of power to move either. and movement equals output.

and i'm not sure the mag will be louder with the given input. maybe way low power levels, say under 1kwrms, but after that, i'm not so sure.what i do know as a fact is that the 12" rls ported more then held it's own against the 15" mag ported, neither sub in the box it was supposed to be in. maybe the mag was a bit more handicapped in it's enclosure then the rl-s and i'm sure vehicle played a role...but i'm saying this, what's on paper doesn't always happen in car. i can care less what the t/s parpameters say each sub will do h2h, but rather, i care what happens in car h2h. everything changes when it's installed.

and your mid 40's is nice...but try that with a h/u that attenuates bass as you turn it up. you know, the more volume knob, the less signal the amp is given. and mine is a daily install as well...saying the amp and box are still in truck. not too mention, this was a drop and play score..no testing, no moving box, nothing....run a sweep, find a frequency and burp it.

and like you, i'm not dogging either sub. both have their pro's and con's, both are excellent choices and both are backed by great people. but i've played with both, have you?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

and movement equals output.

Kent, how dare you make a NooB statement! :pow:

I'll let you slide on that as I know what you're getting at.

thanks..lol..

i've been doing all my posting at the wifey's work...and i can't stay online very long..so things are said quickly...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

thanks..lol..

i've been doing all my posting at the wifey's work...and i can't stay online very long..so things are said quickly...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

if you think output is soely dependant on displacment you have learning to do. SPL is really a measure of efficiency and loudness. if the woofers actualy efficiency is lower than anothers(not 1w1m like its done currently) with the same displacment the more efficient unit will be louder. with that being said the RL-P S are very efficent below 50 hz and drop off fast after that. while the mags are efficent wo about 40 and has the dampning for great efficiency well beyond its usable range. if you would use the proper power and boxes you will see with 1200 watts the mag is a better choice. also the 3 mags will have more efficenty and displacment than 2 RL-Ss.

well......i kno its been a while since i posed this but i just want 2 kno how big a ported bux i should build and what frequency i should tune it 2...thanx

whoa nick....you almost got me to make a really long reply to somthing said above!! holy old threads batman!!!

lol

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Ha Ha! You must've run into the same thing I did this morning. Woke up, checked the board, and all the recent posts were from 06. I almost replied as well until I saw the date. :D

Ha Ha! You must've run into the same thing I did this morning. Woke up, checked the board, and all the recent posts were from 06. I almost replied as well until I saw the date. :D

yeah. i was midway through typing when something made me double check the date. i was like, damn! glad i checked, lol

and ryan, if you still want that memphis belle, it's just sitting here in it's box doing nothing.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

LOL! Haha, I didn't even check the date. So who brought this thing up from the dead anyway? I swear it was at the top!

Someone must have voted and kicked it back up.

yeah. i was midway through typing when something made me double check the date. i was like, damn! glad i checked, lol

and ryan, if you still want that memphis belle, it's just sitting here in it's box doing nothing.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I would love to take the Memphis, but with everything I own breaking in the past two months, I have no cash right now. I just paid my car insurance yesterday and now I have to make $100 stretch for this week. Hope nothing else breaks. Sorry man!