Sign in to follow this  
hdrox88

Sub near port?

Right now my box is set up with sub and port firing to the rear. I am considering cutting a hole in the top for the sub and plugging the rear hole to see what it does to the sound while keeping same box size and tuning. Due to box dimensions, the only way to do it would put the sub right at the port opening in the box. It's a typical slot port so it won't be blocking the port. I remember reading somewhere that it's not ideal to have the sub close to the port if you can help it. How big of a deal is it and how much would it affect what I am trying to do? Depending on what the sound difference is will be deciding on how I build my next box.

It can make the sub unload into the port not utilizing all the airspace inside and would be noticeable on the lows. Just depends on the layout but if your saying the sub would be right beside the port opening inside this could happen easily. 

This is a basic sketch of the box from the top view if I were to do what I am trying to accomplish. From what you are saying, it would probably not be in my best interest to change this current box.

boxtop_zpsdfa55235.jpg

Yeah I would think that could cause a problem. Only one way to find out but I honestly wouldnt even try it

I won't be doing it. I don't want to ruin a perfectly good box just to hear the sound difference of something that has a large chance of failure. Thanks for the input swift.