EddieC

Need some electrical advice for my first big (to me) build

Auto Zone?

My bad....it's an Autocraft Gold from Advance Auto. Only thing they list as having now is the silver.

Auto Zone?

My bad....it's an Autocraft Gold from Advance Auto. Only thing they list as having now is the silver.

They don't show their platinum series. Those are agm.

Ok I have a battery question. Went and bought a Platinum Group 31M for the rear but the Group 35 had the posts reversed. Needed a Group 34 but they didn't have one anywhere nearby in stock. Will the battery I have up front now work or be sufficient? It's a Duralast Gold Group 25 that I bought March of last year. They don't sell that model any longer, and the only thing I can find is that it has 640 cca. Not sure if it's AGM or not, but I'm guessing not. If I need something different I'm looking at an Optima Red Top now. Suggestions?

You purchased a second battery for the rear yesterday and are going to leave the front one where it is. What was the question again? 

You see any issues with trying this combo first to see where I'm at? I truly don't see myself pushing any more than 2700 rms to begin with.

I think he is worried about mixing battery types.

Or the power needed.

Use what you have.

Edited by pmureika

Ok I have a battery question. Went and bought a Platinum Group 31M for the rear but the Group 35 had the posts reversed. Needed a Group 34 but they didn't have one anywhere nearby in stock. Will the battery I have up front now work or be sufficient? It's a Duralast Gold Group 25 that I bought March of last year. They don't sell that model any longer, and the only thing I can find is that it has 640 cca. Not sure if it's AGM or not, but I'm guessing not. If I need something different I'm looking at an Optima Red Top now. Suggestions?

You purchased a second battery for the rear yesterday and are going to leave the front one where it is. What was the question again?

Didn't know if this was an AGM or not and if I needed another AGM or isolator or what??

I think he is worried about mixing battery types.

Or the power needed.

Exactly....both! Edited by EddieC

They are both lead acid batteries so you are good there. With a 220amp alt you should be good on power.

If you have the money then get an AGM for underhood when you can. Right now you should be fine but usually its better to have the same type of batteries (ie. AGM) used together.

Your right, the Diehard is an AGM. MY bad. Is ideal to have matching tech for optimum results. 

If you have the money then get an AGM for underhood when you can. Right now you should be fine but usually its better to have the same type of batteries (ie. AGM) used together.

I have the money now. If it's something that could cause problems anywhere down the road I'd like to go ahead and do it now before the money gets spent elsewhere.

Well go ahead and get the battery now, a stout electrical is always a great thing.

Have you tried Sears for a group 34 agm battery?

Have you tried Sears for a group 34 agm battery?

That was my problem at Sears. There were no stores nearby with one in stock. Plus I'm not quite sure the length will work. It's about an inch longer than what I have. The Group 35 was a perfect fit other than the reversed posts.

Ideally battery's from the same manufacturer will play nicest with each other due to being closest in design. Then again I may just be overly anal. 

Can you not just install the 35 180%. Will put the posts on the correct sides. May need longer cables, but if your reworking the wiring anyways shouldn't be a problem.

If ya look at the pic I posted of my setup you will see thats the way it worked out.

Can you not just install the 35 180%. Will put the posts on the correct sides. May need longer cables, but if your reworking the wiring anyways shouldn't be a problem.

If ya look at the pic I posted of my setup you will see thats the way it worked out.

It puts them on the correct side, but reverses the pos and neg orientation. My problem is this large red fuse block attached to the positive terminal which cannot be moved from it's location. I wish I could post a pic. I think I see a way around it by wiring a ring terminal to both ends on a 1/0 and connecting it that way. I bought battery terminals with dual 1/0 and 4 and 8 guage inputs to support the run from front to rear. Edited by EddieC

A pic would help. From your description I would think you would want to remove the fuse block thats built into the factory terminal and install inline fuses. That would give you extra length and you can use your new terminals to clean up the install. 

A pic would help. From your description I would think you would want to remove the fuse block thats built into the factory terminal and install inline fuses. That would give you extra length and you can use your new terminals to clean up the install.

Here's a link showing a pic. First one you'll see the box.

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/scion-xb-engine-tech-performance/11589-grounding-wires.html#/forumsite/20479/topics/11589

Here is what the terminal itself looks like.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/181230469225?nav=SEARCH

That's why I was thinking that a ring terminal on 2 ends of a cable would connect the 2. A bolt through the fuse block terminal and new wire terminal ring, other one of wire ring to my new battery terminal. Which is here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HFHBLEA?cache=f3ea23b15211e2121a28c3cd32cfd2b5π=SY200_QL40&qid=1411321969&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

Sound reasonable?

That will work brother. I have done that before on a few other ppls rides. That looks about how everyone I found on google was done also. Not much room under that hood. lol

Looks good to me, but everyone has their way of doing things.

I think you would be fine doing it your way.

That will work brother. I have done that before on a few other ppls rides. That looks about how everyone I found on google was done also. Not much room under that hood. lol

Thanks again man. Yeah these cars are definitely not space friendly under the hood. Lol Now to find a battery that will fit the space. There's only 9.25-9.5 length that I can fit. The Optima Group 25 fits the bill but it's only 80 cca higher than what I have now. Reserve time and amp hours are probably better but I can't find any specs to mine anywhere. An XS d3400 would work but that's probably gonna be overkill, not to mention the extra $.

Looks good to me, but everyone has their way of doing things.

I think you would be fine doing it your way.

Thanks man!