cyris69

HDS212-D4 Power Handling

Ok, I recently made the jump to buy some new gear to replace my old dual 15" old school Kicker Infuse subs. Mainly due to I needed my trunk back as the box took up the ENTIRE trunk of my 2008 Focus SE.

I went ahead trying to budget and got a good deal on a Power Acoustik RZ1-1500D. Its stable at 900RMS at 2ohm which the single sub will be wired up as. 

Now, I know it states 600 RMS & 1200 watt burst for the HDS woofer. My main concern is, do I run a large risk of blowing the speaker using this amp?

The box it will be going in is a single 12" ported enclosure: Belva Sub Box 1SV12G (Gray) with a air volume of 1.8 Cubic Ft. tuned to 36hz. Mainly due to cost, size, and space I'm willing to use up in the trunk.

I'd also like some amp settings help on the proper levels of the available knobs featured on the amp itself to be the best for the setup.

rz11500d.jpg

Thanks in advanced!

Edited by cyris69

Zero risk.  Could be ten times the size and you could be okay.  It has a gain knob and you have a volume control.  Use your ears and your brain.

Zero risk.  Could be ten times the size and you could be okay.  It has a gain knob and you have a volume control.  Use your ears and your brain.

Thank man that makes me feel quite a bit better :)

Have any pointers or tips on where to adjust the Subsonic and LPF? Since the speaker is at a 33hz should the subsonic be set to that or the capabilities of 36hz that the box is tuned for. Also my head unit can be set for woofer filter 80, 120, or 160 hz Which is best for the LPF? Or do I just do it by ear and not exactly by numbers?

Also, since the knobs dont really have exact numbers to go to is there anyway you could take that image of the amp and use MSPAINT to kind guide me to the right adjust area?

I know this is asking a lot but this will be my first real sub setup that i want to be decent. Thanks ahead of time!

The LPF you'll adjust to your tastes.  Typically it will be close to what you have the HPF for your highs set to.  You can use the LPF in the HU instead of the one on the amp, the only real difference is the one on the amp has more adjustability than the one in the HU.

As for the SSF (subsonic), it should be adjusted to 2hz to 3hz below the tuning of the enclosure.  The best way to adjust it is to play some tones that range several hz above and below the tuning of your enclosure.  Turn the volume up enough to get the sub moving and watch it as you go through each of the tones.  Believe it or not the frequency at which the sub moves the LEAST is the tuning frequency of the enclosure.  Subtract the 2 or 3 hertz from that frequency and play that tone.  Then turn up the SSF until the sub is moving about HALF of it's throw from where you started and that will safely set the SSF.

Don't go by the numbers on the faceplate, they're typically not even close to right.  Do the method above for the SSF and use your HU if possible for the LPF, then you'll know exactly where you're at.