DeafByDoubleDs

Not Happy with Front Stage, Time for 3 Way setup

I'm Currently doing a rebuild for 2015 and I'm looking into upgrading my front stage to a 3 Way component set and just wondering if anyone would have any recommendations around the $500-700 maybe a little more if its well worth it

so far my 2 choices are the CDT Audio HD-642 and the Hertz HSK 163 Hi Energy Line. But im open to suggestions if you think there is better out there for the price smile.gif

Links to the two 3 way setups I'm talking about below:

http://www.wooferset...t-speakers.aspx

http://www.wooferset...ent-system.aspx

any help will be appreciated guys :D

What was wrong with your 2-way?

I don't have good advice except to include more information. What vehicle? Goals? Placement options? Anything else that may help these guys help you.

Well i live in Australia so you guys wouldn't really know he car its a Ford FG XR6, its a Sedan Very Similar to a Ford Fusion,

Custom A Pillars will be built for the Mid and tweeter and the Woofer will be in custom door trims, my goal is "SQL"

power for the 3 way setup will be whatever is needed to power them properly as i'll be buying an amp to match 

does anybody know what the Quality of CDT audio is like ? the pictures make them look really good but pictures can be decieving, i dont want to spend the $700 on them if they are garbage lol

and 95 Honda, the 2 way set i have now is just way to Harsh tweeter on -3db it just hurts and the midbass is hollow sounding i dont know how to explain it really

What are you currently using? What equipment and how is it installed? Any sort of T/A or EQ? What are your tuning capabilities and experience? It sounds like you are running a passive 2way set. Making a -3db adjustment on a passive crossover isn't necessarily going to eliminate a harsh sound. It might not even be your tweeter, could be the mid. Made the mistake myself before.

Do you know what "SQL" actually stands for?  I don't mean that in a negative way, it's just that a lot of people use the term incorrectly on the internet as they have been misinformed in other places.

The component set I'm using at the moment is the Mercury MCR 188z, they are installed in a custom made pod by me to fit the door, and the doors are completly sealed with 6mm mdf over all the access holes and than Murder Mat Sound deadening on the inside skin and outside skin over the mdf, with a layer of Acoustic Liner over the Sound Deadening. and the Tweeters are in my A Pillars

Headunit is a Pioneer DEH 80prs and no eq.

as far as i know "SQL" stands for Sound Quality Level ? correct me if I'm wrong I'm always happy to learn :)

Sounds like you put in some good amount of work on the doors. I'm not familiar with Mercury, but I run the same headunit. Great unit and if you decide to switch to an active setup it can do that as well. The eq in it is pretty good as it is.

As for the "SQL" thing, I was just checking to see if you weren't going to go along the lines of, "I want SQ and still get loud." wink.png

3 way passive systems generally blow donkey dick.

You NEED to start telling us about what you have and what is wrong with it otherwise no one can help.  A 3 way has a very good chance of just being a lot worse otherwise.

SQL isn't a term we use on this site as it is the combination of two dire opposites in the sub domain so by default the term is useless.  

Sounds like you put in some good amount of work on the doors. I'm not familiar with Mercury, but I run the same headunit. Great unit and if you decide to switch to an active setup it can do that as well. The eq in it is pretty good as it is.

As for the SQL thing, I was just checking to see if you weren't going to go along the lines of, "I want SQ and still get loud." wink.png

I think what he wants is a louder front stage with sound quality. You need to give us as to what you want.

"Louder" is relative. In what way?

yeah pretty much what i want is a Front Stage that's capable of getting very loud while still sounding nice and clear because atm i have put in a lot of effort into getting the ones i have now sounding nice (read a few posts up to see what i have done to my doors) but it just wont happen and they do not keep up with my sub stage at all  (146db)

And i have heard a fair few 3 way setups and they have all done what im looking for which is why i thought of upgrading to a 3 way setup

But like I said if you guys have any recommendations for me for maybe a 2 way setup that will do what im after or a 3 way im happy to listen and take the Advice

Passive 3 way isn't going to help that.

Are the pods you made sealed or ported? Or just IB right into the door? Depending on the answer here, that can have a big impact on the mid bass department. What are they attached to? And how? Maybe some photos of the install as well? Details on how your system is tuned might be helpful in determining what, if anything, can be improved in your current setup before just throwing money at it.

I was ready to replace the tweeters in my setup at one point, come to find the problem was actually my mids. Played with tuning and it helped a ton. Having a plan of attack and figuring out exactly what the problem is in your current equipment or tuning might save you some money.