Sign in to follow this  
slim142

Sub enclosure questions (definition of terms). Please help.

Ok so I'm trying to answer the following questions

What is it? What does it do? Does it benefit the subwoofer and/or sound? Should I get it in my enclosure?

For the following terms:

Flush Mount, Double Baffle & Kerft Port

Can someone please clearly answer those questions for each term and explain them to me? I'm completely lost.

Thanks!

Flush mount is just an extra piece of wood on the front of your box with a slightly bigger circle cut. Makes the sub appear even with the wood (flush)

Double baffle is double front also. More meat to screw the sub into. Stronger box.

Kerf is usually a rounded port edge.

Something like this

E317B0FA-F415-4AE4-AA8A-CBD564DF9633.jpg

Flush mount is just an extra piece of wood on the front of your box with a slightly bigger circle cut. Makes the sub appear even with the wood (flush)

Double baffle is double front also. More meat to screw the sub into. Stronger box.

Kerf is usually a rounded port edge.

Something like this

I see! That was clearly explained. Thank you!

So if you get the flush mount option in your enclosure, that means you are technically getting the double baffle automatically, right?

Also, besides the looks, how exactly does the flush mount/double baffle help/hurt the subwoofer?

Should be a double baffle if it's a flush mount. Although I can think of ways to do a flush mount without a true double baffle. The benifit is the baffle is more rigid, which in return helps the sub play more faithful.

Should be a double baffle if it's a flush mount. Although I can think of ways to do a flush mount without a true double baffle. The benifit is the baffle is more rigid, which in return helps the sub play more faithful.

Yea you are right, I guess a small circular piece of wood underneath the front baffle could allow you to have a flush mount without necessarily having a double baffle all around the front.

Ok so it looks like flush mount is something I would want (looks nice I think) and double baffle to reinforce the front side of the enclosure which will hold the sub.

About the kerf port, I think I heard long time ago that it benefits the sound coming out from the enclosure and makes it "smoother" since it is not straight angles. Any input on kerf ports?

The kerfed port will help with air flow. This will help minimize any added artificial sound created by air leaving the port. That's the theory anyways.