E-Dogg

Mids and Highs placement w/ current amp

Hi all! My first post and got hip to this site from a fellow car club member here in Phoenix, AZ. My question is pretty basic and applies to my 1995 Chevrolet Impala SS.

Here it goes: *cut and paste*

* Mids & tweets in the stock location or mids in stock location and tweeter higher up?

* Coaxials vs. Seperates? Advantages/disadvantages?

* Rears: 6 x 9 in stock location or ??? <--I'm thinking medium grade just for fill in hopes of saving money and focusing it towards the fronts.

* Front mid range size. 6.5 seems to be the favorite but can we go bigger? Perhaps 8"? Anybody do that?

My expectations are easy. Clarity that won't break the bank. Hope that's not an oxymoron.

I've had MB Quart's in the cabin of all of my cars and willing to look outside the box especially if the price is right for equal or better sound.

Let me have it! Don't hold back to tell me if I'm doing something wrong. I'd like to do this and be good with it for longer than 2-3 years.

Amp running the mids & highs is [url="http://jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=PX300.4&cat=AMP&ser=POS&language=ENG&country=US

Edited by E-Dogg

glad to see you found your way over E

good group of guys here

Hi all!  My first post and got hip to this site from a fellow car club member here in Phoenix, AZ.  My question is pretty basic and applies to my 1995 Chevrolet Impala SS. 

Here it goes:  *cut and paste*

*  Mids & tweets in the stock location or mids in stock location and tweeter higher up? 

*  Coaxials vs. Seperates?  Advantages/disadvantages?

*  Rears:  6 x 9 in stock location or ???  <--I'm thinking medium grade just for fill in hopes of saving money and focusing it towards the fronts. 

*  Front mid range size.  6.5 seems to be the favorite but can we go bigger?  Perhaps 8"?  Anybody do that? 

My expectations are easy.  Clarity that won't break the bank.  Hope that's not an oxymoron. 

I've had MB Quart's in the cabin of all of my cars and willing to look outside the box especially if the price is right for equal or better sound.

Let me have it!  Don't hold back to tell me if I'm doing something wrong.  I'd like to do this and be good with it for longer than 2-3 years. 

Amp running the mids & highs is  [url="http://jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=PX300.4&cat=AMP&ser=POS&language=ENG&country=US

Good recommendations. ^

And, deaden those doors, it makes a world of difference. Want a brand that sounds great & is affordable? Look into CDT, I really liked the sound of their 3 way system.

i agree with most of what rag has posted, but will still drop a couple of opinions...

1) mid angled on axis with tweeter up a bit higher is definitely the best for imaging. however, depending upon your deck, you might be able to run all in stock location and "enhance" the staging higher. a good example, sony's DSO. it works, and works very well.

2) componets defintely off more install flexibilty, and in most cases, better sound. what we have discovered here lately at work, with coaxils with swivel mount tweeters (like all of memphis' line), if you angle the tweeter too far, the woofer will slap against it. plus componets are just way cooler.

3)here i disagree with rag. i like rear fill, and i've ran my truck both ways. yes, a strong front fill is usually way more then enough, and bad rear fill will throw off the image, but in most daily drivers, that isn't much of an issue. your idea of a midline 6x9 or even a 6.5 coaxil, would/should work out just fine.

4) that depends upon what you are after. and how much you want to stick into the install. look into memphis msync 8's...would be a sweet and pretty damn easy option...for both your front and rears....

5) brand preference...you need to listen to as many brands as you can. let your ears do the talking, so to speak. i currently run memphis sq's in my fronts and mclass in the rear. and love it. but i'm changing up for giggles and will be running kicker ss's up front and undecided about the rear as of yet. i'll also be using kicker rmb 8's up front. kinda custom 3 way set up..lol..

good luck and welcome to the forum!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

:WELCOME:

Alot of the component systems on the market right now are optimized for an excellent off-axis response, or have crossovers that you can adjust phasing for a better off-axis response (my Alpine Type X comps do). Great benefit to those that want to keep using the stock door locations, without compromising the soundstage nearly as much.

glad to see you found your way over E

good group of guys here

Thanks Tom!

WOW! First off, big thanks to "rag", "neonrider", "mrray" & "denim" for the warm welcome and info.

I have the first generation of Clarion's flip out/touch/screen/dvd/cd/mp3 player. Not exact on the model number - my guess is the VRX935VD. Kinda oldie but I'm thinking it should still be a goodie?

The speakers I'm leaning towards are JL products including the subs (12W6's). <----*I can get a pretty good pricing through a friend* Mainly the series JL XR650-CXi coaxials or JL XR650-CSi seperates for the fronts and the JL VR690-CXi in the rear. FWIW, the tweeter is adjustable on the XR coaxials.

I know what you mean "mrray" when you say, let your ears do the talking. Demo'ing as many speakers as possible but hearing them on a board in an open area (store) don't do it's justice. I'm thinking if they sound good to me, it's all that matters. That's what's wonderful about mobile and home audio. If one's ears are happy with a set of Klipsch vs. 90k Grand Utopia's, great!

Now just because I'm a newbie, don't be easy on me. If the products I mentioned aren't rated or have negative reviews, by all means don't be shy. The main reason I'm leaning towards JL is because of the friendly price. I've heard the XR's and I like them. Similar to MB Quart with it's brightness. The ability to tone down the brightness vs. not being bright at all is my thinking. Correct me if I'm wrong.

"neon" - yes, I have all the intentions to prep the cabin as well as the trunk prior to install. The deadening material (Dynamat) can also be had through my JL hook up. He has the same car as me and he went through just over two of the 36 square foot box.

Again, thank you for the warm welcome and don't be shy - I'm here to learn.

E

Err, you pay way too much for what you get with Dynamat.

I am installing around 200 sq. ft. of B-Quiet in my project car, and comes to $125US/100 sq. ft.

Another great brand of deadener is Second Skin. www.secondskinaudio.com

E, just so you know, 60 sq ft of deadener covered 95% of my trunk in 1 layer

and i have 15 - 20 sq ft in each of my front doors

e-dogg,

are you going to compete with your system or do you want to upgrade from stock? if you don't plan on competing sound quality, you should be fine by purchasing rear fill speakers. if you are going to compete sound quality, i would not get the rear fill. the equipment that you are purchasing looks good. i have never heard those components, but jl is a good company so as long as you do a good install, you should be very pleased. let us see some pics of the finished product :)

The one thing you can sort of audition on a board are tweeters. It will at least let you know if you have a metal/silk preference. If it weren't for the friendly pricing, I'd say that JL is generically a safe recommendation but significantly overpriced. If your deal eliminates the overpriced then they should work out well for you.

For dampening, Neon's rec'd are good but you could also look at Raamat. I am right with Tom on the 15-20 per door, plus two layers in the trunk, and at least one on the floor pan.

Since you have a 4 channel amp for the fronts, you could get a crossover and run them active. It would open up some options for running an 8" like you asked about, or at least let you really choose your drivers...but if you think you have choices now, LOL.

Oh, and nice car. Please be sure to post pics and let us know how/what you decide.

Good info Tom on the doors. I think there's a template floating around for our front doors to fit 6.5" mids.

I've been window shopping on e-bay for deadner and looks like some of these "E-Stores" have pretty good pricing. Anyone have experience with these vendors? I've been reading reviews of other deadner mfg's about smell/odor. Also in my findings, other companies that compete with Dynamat are cheaper because the mil count is less than Dynamat's. Can anyone confirm this?

e-dogg,

are you going to compete with your system or do you want to upgrade from stock? 

No-sir, I honestly don't think I'll be in any competitions. Although, I'd like to have a good sounding vehicle with equivelant installation/workmanship.

I do have an existing set up in the car with MB Quarts (5 1/4") in the cabin and 3 older model 10" JL subs powered by an older PPI amp and a Zapco running the cabin speakers.

///M5: <---- great input!

For dampening, Neon's rec'd are good but you could also look at Raamat. I am right with Tom on the 15-20 per door, plus two layers in the trunk, and at least one on the floor pan

Thanks for the link - more reading to do.

Keep 'em coming fellahs! :thanx:

Edward