Subwoofer Stokes

Thinking of a 6th for custom Q18

I have a Fi Q motor with cooling option with a 6 spoke 18 basket, single layer nomex spiders, tall roll surround, and dual 2. Recone made by spl audio. I have it in a box thats 39.75x 42.5 x 13.5 with a 10"x12"X42" portThe sub and port are both forward firing. I can tell the port needs to be shrunk but i was thinking of doing a 6th for it instead. Any ideas?

Model both designs and post plots on here and we can help you decide what will better suite your needs...

I can say with a good amount of confidence that the Q is not best choice for a 6th order bandpass.  Also unless you plan on giving up a TON of space for a 6th order bandpass for an 18, I wouldn't do it. my 6th order Zcon wall with 4 15's is almost 50 cubes.

Yeah i have about 15-18 cubes to play with. And i ive heard guys say they are more 6th order friendly than 4th but idk.

Yeah i have about 15-18 cubes to play with. And i ive heard guys say they are more 6th order friendly than 4th but idk.

TYPICALLY subwoofers with higher motor force tend to do better in 6th orders and subwoofers with lower motor force tend to work better in 4th order bandpass boxes.

It is more about overall driver Q.  

Lower Q drivers need more augmentation because they self dampen, that is why vented works better for them...

Higher Q drivers need less augmentation due to the fact that they are under-dampened...  Sealed and 4th order band-pass lend well to this.

Also, a 6th order vented bandpass has a lot of variables to screw up...