///M5

Mmm, Paris

Had some requests for pictures of my trip to Paris. This is incomplete, but a sampling. Sorry for all being cell phone pics, but you get the idea. And yes, super yummy.

20151012_201707_zpswsv417dj.jpg

20151012_221639_zps2vge6hs3.jpg

20151012_215830_zpsziu3xb7v.jpg

20151012_210422_zps1dzambsb.jpg

20151012_204048_zpsftm0xhns.jpg

20151012_204041_zpsjaopobde.jpg

20151012_140710_zpsw4j0l9b5.jpg

20151012_140657_zpsfxbisw3b.jpg

20151012_134341_zpses12op9g.jpg

20151012_134332_zpsni4tdaii.jpg

I did some other things besides eating, but that was one of my main goals.

Just realized looking at those that I didn't have a single piece of beef all week. So many great alternative proteins offered there it never crossed my mind.

That's absolutely awesome! Would love to take my wife over there one of these days.

Very yummy looking.

If anyone goes and needs recommendations I'd be glad to help.

I have two foodie friends that live there, one being a food critic/writer, the other my wives bosses direct colleague; I have traveled there a ton, subscribe to Saveur and scour the internet regularly for food options. Also rather familiar with the sights, the backdoors and how to skip lines for all the museums etc.

It's my favorite city in the world, but I love to eat so it fits.

The presentation of the food looks perfect but it doesnt look appetizing to me, that's why I'm scared to travel overseas. Maybe one day I can experience this, great pictures Sean.

The presentation of the food looks perfect but it doesnt look appetizing to me, that's why I'm scared to travel overseas. Maybe one day I can experience this, great pictures Sean.

That is probably because I didn't order a single "Western" protein the whole time I was there. I didn't have any beef, chicken or pork*. The asterisks is because in the pictures you will see pork liver, a veal cheek, a thalmus gland, and some other organs, but no actual "steaks" or the like.

The closest is probably the grouse, but that was stuffed with goose liver.

I understand the fact that those products may not sound appetizing, but that is only the confusion of the history of what you've eaten throughout your life. I grew up in Fargo ND and outside of a hot dish and ruined meat knew no better at one point as well. The day I expanded my culinary tastes was the single most important day in my life for increasing my happiness. I'd encourage you all to do the same. You have to get beyond thinking about what the food is and instead use your nose and mouth to taste it. Going to Asia helps this as well since you can't get anything translated anyways.

My theory on food is rather simple. If there are any people anywhere on the globe that REALLY like some sort of food I want to try it no matter what it is.

Looks yummy, but way to fancy for me Sean. :)

It's amazing how you can see culture through dinner. 

Certainly not a hallmark of ours.  Odd since we're a country of immigrants.

I think population density and educated tourists help the cultural aspects. Of course, they have art museums that are nearly as old as our country and have made all their conquests of the past open for all to see. That was a ton of fun too, but those pics will have to go in another thread if I ever get around to downloading, editing, and uploading. The food was easy as those are raw crap photos off my cell phone.

I watch a show every week on PBS called,"I'll have what Phil's having." The last two episodes he went to Japan and Italy and it was mind-blowing to see the passion within the people and their cultures.  Italy is just too beautiful!

Paris is next/this week. I hadn't heard of it and had to Google and found that out.

Japan is my second favorite food destination. Real close to Paris.

Sean believe me I know what you mean about the smell of some culture's food as my girlfriend is Vietnamese and till this day some stuff she cooks or her family cooks its hard for me to stomach the smell. But talking to her has opened up my pallet some just not that much, plus I have been a picky eater all my life. So if smell and looks are not there then I will avoid it, but I know that is not the best way to judge food.

<-- addicted to fish sauce

....which I am sure you find stinks like bloody hell. I'll refrain from explaining how it is made, lol.

Haha fish sauce and oyster sauce...

That is probably because I didn't order a single "Western" protein the whole time I was there. I didn't have any beef, chicken or pork*. The asterisks is because in the pictures you will see pork liver, a veal cheek, a thalmus gland, and some other organs, but no actual "steaks" or the like.The closest is probably the grouse, but that was stuffed with goose liver.I understand the fact that those products may not sound appetizing, but that is only the confusion of the history of what you've eaten throughout your life. I grew up in Fargo ND and outside of a hot dish and ruined meat knew no better at one point as well. The day I expanded my culinary tastes was the single most important day in my life for increasing my happiness. I'd encourage you all to do the same. You have to get beyond thinking about what the food is and instead use your nose and mouth to taste it. Going to Asia helps this as well since you can't get anything translated anyways.My theory on food is rather simple. If there are any people anywhere on the globe that REALLY like some sort of food I want to try it no matter what it is.

Honestly, the sense of smell is one thing that really limits what I try. If it does not smell appetising to me, I will not eat it. If sewer rat smelled good, I'd eat it. I could care less what it is, as long as it smells good I will try it.

J

That is probably because I didn't order a single "Western" protein the whole time I was there. I didn't have any beef, chicken or pork*. The asterisks is because in the pictures you will see pork liver, a veal cheek, a thalmus gland, and some other organs, but no actual "steaks" or the like.The closest is probably the grouse, but that was stuffed with goose liver.I understand the fact that those products may not sound appetizing, but that is only the confusion of the history of what you've eaten throughout your life. I grew up in Fargo ND and outside of a hot dish and ruined meat knew no better at one point as well. The day I expanded my culinary tastes was the single most important day in my life for increasing my happiness. I'd encourage you all to do the same. You have to get beyond thinking about what the food is and instead use your nose and mouth to taste it. Going to Asia helps this as well since you can't get anything translated anyways.My theory on food is rather simple. If there are any people anywhere on the globe that REALLY like some sort of food I want to try it no matter what it is.
Honestly, the sense of smell is one thing that really limits what I try. If it does not smell appetising to me, I will not eat it. If sewer rat smelled good, I'd eat it. I could care less what it is, as long as it smells good I will try it.

J

everything smelled heavenly

J

everything smelled heavenly

And I take that back, I have one other limiting factor. Creamy sauces (cream based soups, ranch/bleu cheese dressing) is another thing that I have ZERO interest in.

J