RandyJ

12w6 vs 13w6

I have a buddy who is about to make a purchase and would like a w6. He's wondering if the 13w6 is worth the extra $90 on egay. I don't have any personal experience with them, so what do yall say? Were going to go with either the JL spec sealed or ported, whichever sounds better on the amp he bought. What do yall with experience have to say?

Any help is appreciated.

Randy

Also, what size boxes are yall using for LSQ with the 13 and 12? Any comparisons as far as the JL spec boxes?

go bigger then jl recommended for best all around performance...

took a 12w6 outa the 1.75 recommend ported box, put it in 2.5 cubes, twice as much port area and it came alive!

is the 13 worth the extra $90? up to your friends wallet

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

well you need to figure out if the minor difference in cone advantage is worth it

go bigger then jl recommended for best all around performance...

took a 12w6 outa the 1.75 recommend ported box, put it in 2.5 cubes, twice as much port area and it came alive!

is the 13 worth the extra $90? up to your friends wallet

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

We did some ignorant plotting/testing in winISD alpha and noticed similar results. Only worry is that it would be a little too loose/sloppy for what he wants. We'll try it and see what he thinks.

And Denim, the reason I was asking was simply to see if users had noticed a significant gain in performance simply by goin with the 13w6. With the minor increase in Sd, the Vas seems to increase quite a bit, giving me the impression that the increase probably is worth a bit extra.

Winisd will only give you a rough estimate of how the subs will play, the program bases their graphs on a perfect world with infinite space. In the real world, your gonna have cabin gain and stuff. What you can do to determine the difference in displacement in the two is to do the follow formula.

SD(in cm^2) * XMAX(in cm) * 2 / 1000 equals the displacement in liters.

This will give you an idea of which will have more potential and by how much.

Winisd will only give you a rough estimate of how the subs will play, the program bases their graphs on a perfect world with infinite space.  In the real world, your gonna have cabin gain and stuff.  What you can do to determine the difference in displacement in the two is to do the follow formula. 

SD(in cm^2) * XMAX(in cm) * 2 / 1000 equals the displacement in liters. 

This will give you an idea of which will have more potential and by how much.

I am aware of what winISD does. I said ignorant because I am unfamiliar with actual useage of the program.

And I need not apply your formulas, Vas is given by JL.

With the minor increase in Sd, the Vas seems to increase quite a bit, giving me the impression that the increase probably is worth a bit extra.

there is your answer :bump: