stratusrt01

Choices for my 8" RL-i setup

Because of airspace requirements, I have to make a choice, and I'm not doing very well at it.

My amplifier is a Memphis Belle, running 1100 watts rms @ 1 ohm to the subwoofer side of the house.

My debate is between 2 RL-i's ported, getting about 550rms each, or 4 sealed getting 250rms each.

I'm looking for LSQ, I need a good mix, and want people to say:

"What kind of 12's are you running".... :wacky:

Based on what I have been told, 250WRMS is not enough for these subs in a sealed enclosure. People have told me that 2 of these subs in a sealed enclosure are incredible! Ported will surele provide more output but at the expense of a slight decrease in SQ (depending on ported setup).

I am working on my dual 8 setup right now. My box is built and I will be carpeting and installing the drivers tomorrow night. I will test them in a small room first and let you all know what the results are.

Thanks

I had 100W ported to mine, it got plenty loud.

The 4 8's is cool, but rather espensive

The 2 ported should yeild the same output for 1/2 the cost

If I were you, I'd sell me your M.Belle cheap. Or just go with 2 ported.

I am working on my dual 8 setup right now. My box is built and I will be carpeting and installing the drivers tomorrow night. I will test them in a small room first and let you all know what the results are.

Thanks

What size box are you going with for you 8s and what kind of power ?

:thanx:

but 4 sealed would be sweet to my ears

Denim, I keep thinking about running 3 sealed but I could only give them about 266w each but I can give 2 400w each not sure what to do.

I have to make up my mind soon a guy at work wants my box with the RE SE12 I had in it. What to do.

Denim,  I keep thinking about running 3 sealed but I could only give them about 266w each but I can give 2 400w each not sure what to do.

I have to make up my mind soon a guy at work wants my box with the RE SE12 I had in it.  What to do.

personally I have always loved the sound of a TC sub sealed,

I would just prefer the sound from more drivers sealed than less drivers ported.

Thanks

Mike recommended .65 tuned at 25hz, which I'm trying to design for now. We'll see how that works out, because that's going to be a loooong port.

43 seems a little too high for me, but I was thinking about 35 so that I didn't have a port 3.25x12.5 and 90+ inches long just to get the tuning down low.

How does 1.4cubes shared chamber, 35 hz with 37.5 square inches of port, 53.75 inches long sound?

Edited by stratusrt01

mine is tuned to 24hz... i don't think i would go that low if i were to do it all over again unless i used cannon round ports... possibly 30ish Hz (and yes this is for in - home use)

I know about the port length. The box I've got on paper is 33" long, but only 19" of it is actual airspace, the rest is port.

I used .414 cu^3 per driver and will be running 375 WRMS per sub. Mike had told me to use up to 450 WRMS if I really wanted to get the 8's to play to their fullest. I should have the box carpeted with sub installed tonight. I'll let you know how it plays as soon as this is done.

Thanks

Thanks

Can't wait to hear how you like it.

If I go sealed it will be about the same as you. 400w each but I might go up to .6cu ft per sub.

I have not EQ'ed the setup yet and I love the quality of the response! Nice low, tight shots! Marvin Gaye's "Sexual Healing" sounds really sweet! For a set of 8's, they sure as hell play quite low. These play better than a single Eclipse 12" aluminium driver that I had back in 2001. Once dialed in, this will be the best car audio system that I have had.

Very impressive for $150 drivers. To think that I was going to go for the JL 8w7 at $500 CDN!!!! What a joke! See the pics in my other post.

Thanks

JJ

If I go sealed it will be about the same as you. 400w each but I might go up to .6cu ft per sub.

Stick to the specs on the site.

SS woofers dont need big enclosures

Stick to the specs on the site.

SS woofers dont need big enclosures

hey now....

specs on site are a great starting point. but, what happens on paper, including LEAP, isn't necessarily what happens in car. trial and error leads to some wonderful findings, including in some cases the specs were dead on.

but i've ran my 8 in as big as 1.25ft^3 tuned to 28hz....and it was a monster! ran at 8 ohm on my 2500d, it saw roughly 600wrms and was an absolute beast on the lows! optimum box? no, it was a little muddy and not the loudest i had heard, but performed very well indeed.

it's currently in .17ft^3 sealed, and while very clean and pretty loud, i know there is much more potential in that sub.

IMHO, i think one should play around (with enclosure volume) until the right combination (of sq and spl) is discovered for that person. and yeah, the specs onsite are a great starting point.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I put my 2 8s in today. They sound good but I think I should of built a ported box. I have it sealed at .40 per sub. It does hit the lows good but it is a big step down from the RL-p 12 ported :wacko: . Well back to the drawing board. I will try and get some pics up soon.

I think If it would of been sealed to sealed I would of been ok. But going from 12 ported to 8s sealed is what screwed me up. The 8s are real nice They get loud, maybe more power would help. Might try and port what I have.

Are you looking for SPL or SQ? I love the way my 2 8's perform in the sealed box. Plenty loud loud for me at this point. I would love to sap more out of them however a good ported box for these would be larger than what I have now.

I can get more output from my setup if I rear-fire them in my hatch. I am sure I can pick up at least a couple of DB's if I do this.

I put my 2 8s in today. They sound good but I think I should of built a ported box. I have it sealed at .40 per sub. It does hit the lows good but it is a big step down from the RL-p 12 ported  :wacko: . Well back to the drawing board. I will try and get some pics up soon.