jj_spike

RL-i8's are installed!

I installed the subs tonight and wired them to my MMATS class D amp. I must say these play quite LOW for 8's! I did not have much of a chance to adjust parametric EQ settings or gain. I figure that I was able to only feed 1/3 to 1/2 of total power into the subs tonight. At this level they played quite loud and tight.

I was also made aware that the electrical system in my Toyota Matrix is not up to the task as my lights dimmed during the hard hits. I could only imagine what will happen when I set the system up properly!

As a recap, I am running a pair of RL-i8's in a sealed enclosure with a total volume of .828 cu^f after sub displacement. I added 1 pound of polyfill to bring up the volume a bit for a lower response. I may remove some of the polyfill in hopes of bringing up the 60-80Hz region.

These subs play MUCH better than the high-end 10's and 12" Eclipse aluminium sub that I had in the past. Simply amazing! I will attempt to run a single 8" later this summer. I am building a second setup for times when I reqiure more cargo area.

Cheers to Mike!

Thanks

JJ

Sorry for the lack of pics. I will attempt to score a digital camera and take some pics of the install. Will camera phone pics be OK for this weekend?

Thanks

JJ

why do people not have digi cams? its like they are 20 bucks now hehe

jk man ;)

sorry we are picture whores here, even if the picture has nothing to do with audio

No, not yet. I am afraid if I do I will like the results too much. I built the enclosure to fit partially under the floor. The box actually sits 5 inches under the floor. I prefer it this way as it does not look as large. I will try it rear-firing tomorrow. I bet it will rattle the hell out of my rear hatch.

I played some old-school hip-hop tonight for the kids. They loved the way the rear view mirror went into a total blur! My wife could not take the booooooooooom.

I think I will be doing the "big 3" shortly in order to maximize the potential of my setup.

Thanks

JJ

Have you tried it rear firing ?

Bah, who cares about rattles, you wont hear them over the bass anyways

Rear firing in hatch's sounds best

Any comments on the setup - beside crappy color matching on the carpet? All of the abuse I took for not having pics and no feedback apart from the rear-firing thing. I figure I did a half decent job for a I.T. guy that has little to no clue when it comes to power tools.

Thanks!!

JJ

Its nice ?

Whats to hate

DLS components

Alpine 9861

SS RL-i 8 subs

I wouldnt mind trading you :D

Any comments on the setup - beside crappy color matching on the carpet? All of the abuse I took for not having pics and no feedback apart from the rear-firing thing. I figure I did a half decent job for a I.T. guy that has little to no clue when it comes to power tools.

Thanks!!

JJ

I think it is a great set up.

Thanks!!

JJ

i thought it was pretty damn clean. nice job...

and like eldo said..what's not to like? real nice choice of equipment.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

here is a good review >> Rl-i 8 review

:OhYeah: