Sign in to follow this  
2kchevy

Eclipse 8053 + h701?

Is it possible to hook up an alpine h701 to an eclipse 8053 say, through the aux input? Or anyway for that matter. I love my 8053 and really don't want to part with it if it's possible. At the same time though, I want an EQ at my finger tips via the h701 and c701. If I could hook that combo up to my 8053 and it work it'd be all good. :fing34:

thoughts?

whats wrong with the promode eq?

Nothing really, that's only 10 bands though. 5 for mids/lows 5 for highs. Isn't it harder to get the response flat with a paramatric eq vs a graphic? I mean I know like a paramatric doesn't effect the other bands or something like that I'm not sure I haven't read up on this chit in a long time.

So to sum, there isn't anything wrong, it's just if I'm going to EQ, I want my setup to sound the best it possibly can and I want to have the availability of 30 bands whenever I do this.

Edited by 2kchevy

Have you thought about an outboard EQ?

yeah, I had two audio control EQT's and a 4xs but I sold those a while back wanting to go p9 or h701 way. What's on your mind though :OhYeah:

I always prefer parametrics, the adjustable Q alone is worth its weight in gold when taming inconsistencies in your response of course as long as there is enough gain/damping in each bin. Graphic eq's are easier to understand, but I don't think the results are as good. A lot of others will disagree with me here perhaps, but I'd prefer the para. On the same note the extra tools you get with the H701 would be sweet as well.

Well you see, there isn't anything really that close where I can use an RTA. I really wish I would have had everything installed when jntar made his way through fort smith so we could have messed around with it but things don't work out like that. I'll most likely end up driving to dallas just to RTA. :(

But you guys are saying that it's better to have 10 bands of para vs 31 bands of graphic? I'm not looking to win any type of SQ competitions by anymeans I'm just wanting something that sounds amazing.

edit: Plus it'd look sweet as hell to have the 8053 and the c701 sitting together :woot::wacky:

Edited by 2kchevy

More responses plz. ^_^

yeah, I had two audio control EQT's and a 4xs but I sold those a while back wanting to go p9 or h701 way.

The 8053 and h701 will work just fine together. I am contemplating doing this to keep the 24bit deck. I dont like alpine decks.

You dont really have to drive here for the RTA...I make teips to little rock one a month remember. I will be in Little Rock area August 9th-13th. So that is a month for you to decide and a week for you to find me :)

Oh, but my RUX-c701 would be hidden in the glovebox ;) So no one would ever know.

Is it possible to hook up an alpine h701 to an eclipse 8053 say, through the aux input? 

I'm not really sure why you would want to run the H701 through the auxillary input on the 8053. That would completely defeat the purpose of the H701, since you wouldn't be able to use any of the xover or time alignment functions.

The 8053 does, however, have digital coaxial output. Since the H701 doesn't accept coaxial in but does accept toslink (optical) input, partsexpress has a coaxial to toslink convertor for around $25, and a gentleman called Kev7909 on ECA can mod it to 12V DC for you for like $20 (I had him do this for me). That would work out really well, since most of the problems associated with the H701 (noise floor, etc) are all related to the analog inputs....plus you would have the advantage of running digital the entire length of the vehicle (no induced noise).

But yeah....Eclipse 8053 + Digi Out + C701 + H701 = Great combination

The 8053 and h701 will work just fine together.  I am contemplating doing this to keep the 24bit deck. 

Having a 24-bit deck doesn't mean diddly if you're bypassing the DAC and running digi out to the processor :fing34:

something like one of these?

http://electronics.search.ebay.com/phoenix...Z1QQsacatZ79839

and then just use the 8053 for crossover?

Can't.

The EQ would need 6 independent channels of input and output in order to use the 3-way xovers on the 8053. Only EQ's that I'm aware of that have that many independent channels are a few of the Audiocontrol models.

But you guys are saying that it's better to have 10 bands of para vs 31 bands of graphic?

I wouldn't agree with that statement.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but I wouldn't outright say one is absolutely better than the other. A 10-band parametric may work better for stereo A, while the 31-band graphic may work better for stereo B. It's all install, equipment and vehicle dependent.

Parametrics are good for targeting specific problem areas, whereas the 31-band graphic is better for smoothing the entire response

But the H701 has both...so it doesn't really matter :wacky: Use whichever happens to work best for your particular situation.

Main disadvantage with a parametric in most digital processors is that there are predefined frequencies which must be selected for the parametric EQ. It's not completely variable like most parametric analog processors are. There are a few digital processors, though, that offer complete control over the frequency. The Sony 4000x comes to mind (processor for the Sony C90).

But you guys are saying that it's better to have 10 bands of para vs 31 bands of graphic?  I'm not looking to win any type of SQ competitions by anymeans I'm just wanting something that sounds amazing.

I didn't say that either, what I said is that I would always prefer to have a parametric over a graphic. As Brad stated, whether the 10 bands will be enough are completely install dependent and comparing 31 bands with 10 isn't much of a fair comparison. The thing I don't like about graphics is that they are almost always only on 1/3 octave bins and aren't adjustable in location nor Q where with a parametric you can dial in your problems and eliminate them without coloring nearby bands that aren't problems. In a perfect world having both would be sweet!

graphic> parametric

Adjustible Q...meh

I love how easy it is to tune pioneers and a royal pain in the rear to tune alpines and eclipses.

wow, thx for the replies guys, answered a lot of questions I've always had.

Squeak, I was just giving an example on where to hook it up I hadn't actually thought about where it could plug in at. It was also 7:00 in the morning....lol

jntar, sweet man hopefully I'll have all my stuff here by that time. I'll have to meet up with ya

M5 I'm sorry, that's just how I was interpreting what you were saying, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth.

putting the c701 in the glove box is a good idea though ;). I'll def have to put this plan into motion with the next paycheck =D.