trentonc24

RLp 15 SQ Box

Ok so heres the deal, its really complicated to build a box to it in your car and that will allow pvc pipe to be used instead of a slot port. I decided to use a pvc pipe because I read it has advantages over slot ports. Ok heres my question. I need to see what you all think of the box design I have came up with. I'm using .75 mdf. The box is going to be a CRX style box, and I'm trying to make it for decent sound quality. The dimensions are 11x31x24, which is equal to a GBV of 3.4 cubic ft, and a Net box volume of 3.1 Cubic ft. The pvc port is going to be 6 inches wide, and 17.7 inches long, which is supposed to tune it to 33hz, the 6 inches will give it 28.2 cubic inches of port area. Is this enough of port area to have decent sound quality? I can't find 7 inch pvc, they don't sell it around here, nor can I find 5 inch to make two 5 inch ports. I'm not worried TOO much about port noise because the port wil be facing the back and I doubt i'd hear it anyways. And another question, with the port facing the back, should I put the port on the left, or right side of the box. I'm guessing the right side because its the furtherst from the drivers ear possible, which is supposed to create less cancelation. Please give me your opinions, will it be ok like it is, or should I change something? Thanks alot

6" pvc is plenty of port for your 15....the box sounds like a winner to me. as far as port placement goes, only your ears will tell ya, or a mic, which is better...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

while it seems u know what your doing, and i didnt do the little math that it takes to figure GBV, make sure you are using internal demesnions to find volume. I may steal that box, as I need one for the mustang.

edit: I did the math, and those measurements put you at 3.64 gross, before any displacement, and im guessing you said 3.4 with driver installed in the box?

Edited by saywhat?

while it seems u know what your doing, and i didnt do the little math that it takes to figure GBV, make sure you are using internal demesnions to find volume. I may steal that box, as I need one for the mustang.

edit: I did the math, and those measurements put you at 3.64 gross, before any displacement, and im guessing you said 3.4 with driver installed in the box?

It was going to be around 3.1 net volume minus the port area and driver displacement. I did some slight tweaking to the measurements to make it fit better and now its coming out around 2.9-3.0 cf. I'm almost done with it, just gotta sand it and paint it

Here is a picture. Its not finished yet, I still have to sand it and paint it. I'm painting it with truck spray on bedliner, but you can get the overall idea.

25z2gw4.jpg