filtor1

Fi Q 12" Review

Great review. I would have said the same thing if I were writing the review. Definitely needs about 24 hours of hard use to break them in. I did get a good gain in the 70-150 hz region as the sub got looser.

Here is my $.02...since mine got deleted.

I went from an RE XXX 12 (XBL2 version). The Q12 is louder. "Operation Spirit" by Live has a really fast kick drum beat in the beginning. There is the slightest lag only noticable in the really quick bass notes. The XXX 12 played them a tad sharper. But if I were going to the Q12 from any other driver, I probably woudn't be saying this. The Q does everything that the XXX did while fixing the XXX's weaknesses. The Q is lighter, cheaper, louder, and more linear. The only edge that the XXX has is power handling which is a moot point since the Q seems to get louder.

These subs can handle more than 1000 watts. I have a US Amps USA-2000 powering 1 Q12. The Q complains when I start really wailing on it for awhile. Otherwise, I estimate that it can handle 1200-1500 watts in the hands of a responsible adult.

My only complaint was the packaging which was pretty messed up when I got the box. Not sure if Fedex was unusually rough with my stuff or the packaging sucked. Scott assured me that he uses pretty strong packaging so I'll blame Fedex.

But I went to a USACI sanctioned event 3 days after I got the sub. Scored in the 136s. Considering that my BMW's trunk eats up a lot of db's and the sub was extremely stiff, that's a pretty damned good score.

Edited by bigjae1976

Good job on the write up, once I get the SSA Review section back up this can go in there.

Great review. I would have said the same thing if I were writing the review. Definitely needs about 24 hours of hard use to break them in. I did get a good gain in the 70-150 hz region as the sub got looser.

Here is my $.02...since mine got deleted.

I went from an RE XXX 12 (XBL2 version). The Q12 is louder. "Operation Spirit" by Live has a really fast kick drum beat in the beginning. There is the slightest lag only noticable in the really quick bass notes. The XXX 12 played them a tad sharper. But if I were going to the Q12 from any other driver, I probably woudn't be saying this. The Q does everything that the XXX did while fixing the XXX's weaknesses. The Q is lighter, cheaper, louder, and more linear. The only edge that the XXX has is power handling which is a moot point since the Q seems to get louder.

These subs can handle more than 1000 watts. I have a US Amps USA-2000 powering 1 Q12. The Q complains when I start really wailing on it for awhile. Otherwise, I estimate that it can handle 1200-1500 watts in the hands of a responsible adult.

My only complaint was the packaging which was pretty messed up when I got the box. Not sure if Fedex was unusually rough with my stuff or the packaging sucked. Scott assured me that he uses pretty strong packaging so I'll blame Fedex.

But I went to a USACI sanctioned event 3 days after I got the sub. Scored in the 136s. Considering that my BMW's trunk eats up a lot of db's and the sub was extremely stiff, that's a pretty damned good score.

Thanks for your comments. I think :insert name of shipping company: are usually hard on everything. :(

True. But if that's my only beef, then Fi is doing REALLY well.

Agreed. I haven't heard of any being delivered from Fi that were damaged yet. So the packaging is doing it's job.

Review bump.

I put the redirect up there, so its fine. ;)

Nice review dude, I didn't get the Q series but i got 2 SSD15's still waiting on the second one to get here before i put them in the ride should be here tomorrow!!! I looked around in the forums and i couldnt find anyone running dual 15 ssd's. I built a box to 8 cu ft tuned to 33hz, I will be pushing them with a hifonics BX1505D. Let me know what you think!? Also i would like to add I Have a litte beater car i drive when i dont want to waste gas in my daliy car. I am thinking about turning it into a bass racer! would an 18Q do the Job? Should i go for the BL or BTL series ...dont have much money right now thats why i am looking at the Q series.

Chris,

I know this thread is old. But do you have a long-run review of the Q subs? Are you still considering them as good as you thought back then? Any other subs that were up there with the Qs?

Thanks.

I think Chris moved the Q to his HT setup and has a larger setup with Havocs in it now.

Thanks,

Scott

great review indeed, if i didnt have to put a stroller in the back of the new car, my Q would definitely be in it. by far the best sub i've ever owned. maybe a few years from now ill do it again. but sadly i have to deal with the stock subwoofer for a while :(