Jump to content

Recommended Posts

icy_chris    18

Hey just seeing if anyone here has a little more experience here is my information on the set up have a 280amp alternator and good optima yellow top two runs of 1/0 and good grounds running a sundown zv5 15 d1 at 2 ohms on a svc6000 sundown amp. Have the sub sonic set to aproximate 30hz the box tuned to 32hz and low pass set to aproximate 75hz it is built to recommended specs 4.5 cubes after displacment and 68 cubic inches of Port have the gain set between 1/4 and 1/2 gain to take it easy for the first bit of playing and found its pushing but now distorted voltage drop is only 13.6 v lowest and find after a while has slight hot/wood smell the sub is just new and has about 2 hours of play time just seeing if anyone has noticed any same things on new higher power subs while breaking in for the first while this is only my second high power system fist was a sundown 2500 and fi btl v2 and never had a smell from it while breaking in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ManzKea    37

Interesting. Are you playing super low lows or something? And how do they compare to the btl v2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Billy Jack    146

If it smells like anything other then wood glue TURN IT DOWN! I have smelled similar oders right before my subs fried lol. That's a huge amp and at 2ohm the subs are still seeing 1k over recommended  RMS. And yes I know sundown under rates there subs but the do the same thing with there amps so best to stay within what Jacob suggest just to be safe. That and if your over driving the sub it's not gonna be but 1-2db's louder then you may burn up a high dollar sub. Or all it could be is the glue on the sub curing and you smelling it through the port. Have you checked the sub or amp for heat? N txt ime you experience this feel of the cone and touch the amp if it's ready to fry eggs on TURN IT DOWN!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
icy_chris    18
Posted (edited)

To manzkea no not really this was my first box design for it and wanted to try out a low tune and see how I liked it. It's hard to compare as I went from a 12" btl in a sunfire to a 15 in a small suv so far it has really good response to range of songs but definatly thinking of going back up to 34-35hz my last temporary sub I had in there was a 12" Rockford p3 and 500w prime and 2.35 ft3 box tuned to 35hz and loved it. And to Billy jack yes sorry forgot to add no the cone after 45 mins of playing was still cool to touch and amp was Luke warm nothing out of ordinary just had a wierd smell that I've never come across before but yes I've definatly been watching what I'm doing and when I do smell it turn my gain knob all the way down  for about half hour then bring it back up for a while. I also forgot this is in a ford escape so could be more noticable for if it is the glues and oils on the cone burning off from assembly 

Edited by icy_chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
///M5    2,198
6 hours ago, Billy Jack said:

If it smells like anything other then wood glue TURN IT DOWN! 

Yes.  ANY unusual smell is bad.  There is nothing fragrant about a car stereo...or at least there shouldn't be.


Your arbitrary 1/4-1/2 gain to be conservative is not conservative at all.  If it is distorted you are overdriving/clipping or the like which is most likely the cause of the smell.  Keeping going as you have it could end up being expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
icy_chris    18

Ok thanks for the input guys I will re do my gains and go from there it has the clipping light on the bass knob and it is far from lighting up as clipped and sorry the first post was suppose to read no distortion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
///M5    2,198

Clipping lights don't work, don't trust them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
icy_chris    18

Ok sounds good thanks first time ever having one it's been a lot better now and smelling in the back it's definatly only a wood smell left thanks for all the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Liro213    31
22 hours ago, icy_chris said:

Hey just seeing if anyone here has a little more experience here is my information on the set up have a 280amp alternator and good optima yellow top two runs of 1/0 and good grounds running a sundown zv5 15 d1 at 2 ohms on a svc6000 sundown amp. Have the sub sonic set to aproximate 30hz the box tuned to 32hz and low pass set to aproximate 75hz it is built to recommended specs 4.5 cubes after displacment and 68 cubic inches of Port have the gain set between 1/4 and 1/2 gain to take it easy for the first bit of playing and found its pushing but now distorted voltage drop is only 13.6 v lowest and find after a while has slight hot/wood smell the sub is just new and has about 2 hours of play time just seeing if anyone has noticed any same things on new higher power subs while breaking in for the first while this is only my second high power system fist was a sundown 2500 and fi btl v2 and never had a smell from it while breaking in.

How Do you like That zv5? I have never tried any sundown sub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ManzKea    37

So with the smell gone, gains down a bit, do you like your sub? Is it slamming as you hoped it would?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
icy_chris    18

After fine tuning the amp very finicky and running for a while it is a great sounding sub it hits tight and when it hits the tune of the box just the one absolutely blows my mind I will be doing some testing with my term lab hopefully some time this week comming up and will throw the numbers up for you guys and give it a few months going to be getting a second one and doing a wall enclosure for two at 1 ohm on the scv 6000 I would have put up pictures but it tells me the file sizes are too large to upload

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
icy_chris    18

If anyone wants to see the build its on Facebook good vibrations sub boxes and under the album 2005 ford escape 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
S.DeYoung    914
4 hours ago, icy_chris said:

If anyone wants to see the build its on Facebook good vibrations sub boxes and under the album 2005 ford escape 

Can you post some of the pictures here? Not everyone has facebook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ManzKea    37

Does it hit high notes I got the same sub and it lacks on the upper bass. I'm using an 8" sonotube tuned to 34.  Box is around 4.5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×