Sign in to follow this  
bigrank916

Building bookshelf speakers

I decided to make a present for the old man and I know he loves small bookshelf speakers that really rock. He listens to pretty much only classic rock. I was on parts express and found a nice set of 2 way boxes for cheap. I'd like to use those as the reviews on them look pretty decent. It gave recommendations for the driver and tweeter to use and I'll be getting those as well. Only thing I wasn't sure of was crossovers etc. What else do I need to buy to put this all together? Here are the links to what I'm getting. 

Bookshelf boxes

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-br-1cab-br-1-6-1-2-2-way-speaker-cabinet-pair--300-645

Drivers

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dc160s-8-6-1-2-classic-shielded-woofer--295-306

Tweeters

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dc28fs-8-1-1-8-silk-dome-shielded-tweeter--275-075

If you know of anything similar that would sound better than this I'd love to hear about it. As I mentioned before, building a home audio setup is new to me. I only know how to plug the shit in :)

A few questions:

1. What is your budget?

2. Are you against making your own boxes?

3. What knowledge do you have in building crossovers?

If this is your first attempt at a project like this I would suggest a kit.  There are numerous plans available at various price points.  This is a much more difficult task than first time builders tend to think.

9 minutes ago, Miller said:

A few questions:

1. What is your budget?

2. Are you against making your own boxes?

3. What knowledge do you have in building crossovers?

If this is your first attempt at a project like this I would suggest a kit.  There are numerous plans available at various price points.  This is a much more difficult task than first time builders tend to think.

1) Considering what this would cost I'd say about $200

2)No not entirely but I liked that these has a laminate already on them. They have flat cut set for building your own as well but its just plain MDF. Not sure how to make that look good. 

3)Absolutely zero

This is my 1st attempt at building a home speaker. I knew it wouldn't be easy but I know it's mainly matching one thing to another. That's why I thot it might be easier going with the recommended speakers for those boxes. Are they not any good?

I have never heard these speakers personally.  A lot of people appear to enjoy the sound of them.  They look fairly easy for a first build if you follow the kit.

Here is a link to the kit which is what you should buy instead of trying to determine your own crossover.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-br-1-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-monitor-speaker-kit-pair--300-640

This looks like it will still require soldering the crossovers together, which is why I asked your knowledge of building them.  It is a fairly easy crossovers with instructions and pictures included in the manual.

26 minutes ago, Miller said:

I have never heard these speakers personally.  A lot of people appear to enjoy the sound of them.  They look fairly easy for a first build if you follow the kit.

Here is a link to the kit which is what you should buy instead of trying to determine your own crossover.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-br-1-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-monitor-speaker-kit-pair--300-640

This looks like it will still require soldering the crossovers together, which is why I asked your knowledge of building them.  It is a fairly easy crossovers with instructions and pictures included in the manual.

Damn I never saw that!! Thanks dude that's exactly what i needed. I can solder as well so that will be ok. I appreciate the help!!

The Dayton boxes are nice.  

If you want those drivers I am sure that kit is fine.  There are tons of upgrades....but they all require budget increases.

Just as an fyi it isn't unusual to spend as much if not more on the crossovers than the drivers.  The full rangers in my office have nearly $250 in crossovers for two $35 drivers and no tweeter.

14 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

The Dayton boxes are nice.  

If you want those drivers I am sure that kit is fine.  There are tons of upgrades....but they all require budget increases.

13 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Just as an fyi it isn't unusual to spend as much if not more on the crossovers than the drivers.  The full rangers in my office have nearly $250 in crossovers for two $35 drivers and no tweeter.

I'm not really sure about what i want as I don't know too much about them. I just know the old man would like a homemade set that he's never heard of before. Originally I wanted to make him a tower 3 way setup. I'm sure the budget for that is muuuuch more lol.

That is something I wasn't aware of. Damn that's a lot. I'm sure it sounds good tho they way you like to set things up. Total control ;)

I find the idea of Bigrank916 quite nice, and also want to build a small speaker on the shelf to listen to music and work will be more effective. Thank you for sharing this idea