Sign in to follow this  
mgbcs

Minimum and maximum power

This summer I will be looking to upgrade my system. I am strongly considering an Fi product, but I do not yet know which one. I guess my question is what the minimum and maximum power you would suggest running on the SSD, Q, and BL. I would not be purchasing a BTL due to power requirments. I certainly do not want to blow a new sub, but I do not want to underpower them either. So, what is the power range, as well as optimal for each of the three? Thanks

I think the SSD's will do well with over 400 watts and MAX out at 1K (with flatwind)..

I'm giving my SSD 12's 1K each and they haven't grumbled about it in any way (i don't have flatwind but i have the copper coils)

I opt to only comment on the SSD since that is the only sub have experience with....

Edited by theabunai

I havent had any experience with the other subs but i own a Q 15' and give it lots of power daily. I would reccomend giving it no less than 1000 but no more than 1400. I am running a Hifonics BXI 1606 on mine and its probably only pushing 1400 and it will handel it but i wouldnt give it anymore.

But i have talked to a guy at my local shop who has an SSD and he said he gave it 2000 watts and it DID NOT like it and almost blew it, but it did take it for a short time. Thats my 2 cents

Wes

I am wondering what the max minimum rms wattage for the BL line is. How would they do on 500 watts?? Not planning on giving mine that much, but once I get a second I may have to run them at 2 ohms for 900 to 1000 watts total until I get a more powerfull amp!

I am wondering what the max minimum rms wattage for the BL line is. How would they do on 500 watts?? Not planning on giving mine that much, but once I get a second I may have to run them at 2 ohms for 900 to 1000 watts total until I get a more powerfull amp!

I'm with you. The BL is probably my biggest question. Are people running a lot more more to the BL than the Q? Pretty similar?

I am wondering what the max minimum rms wattage for the BL line is.

I'm wondering what max minimum rms wattage is.

I am wondering what the max minimum rms wattage for the BL line is.

I'm wondering what max minimum rms wattage is.

Meaning,what is the minimum rms suggested for the BL lines. They are rated at 1000 watts rms with no options. Will I be alright if I only give them 500 watts rms?

I ask because I dont have a new amp yet and was planning on getting my subs first. I just got one BL 10" and my dual 10" ported box is in the mail on its way.

I was planning on running 2 BL 10's off my 9.1 until I can get a bigger amp, something that will do 2000 watts at 2 ohms.

I am eyeing a DEI 2400D thats for sale on another forum. I am wondering if it will kill my alt though, if 2400 watts wont kill my stock 2004 Altima's alt, I could just get another 9.1?

So basicly, can you expect decent sound from the BL lines if you under power them? I understand I should buy subs according to my power requirements, but I planned on upgrading my amp AFTER I got the 2 BL's.

So I would be underpowering until I can get monies for the new amp.

there really is no minimum per say since any amount of wattage under the RMS won't hurt or damage the sub...

Though you need to realize that if you give it under the RMS the subs true ability won't be used...

why pay 250 for a sub and only use 150 from it.....? (this is for the other readers you mention upgrading the amps)

MAIN point is when you under power a sub most people will certainly end up clipping the amp and sending the sub a clipped signal CAN and WILL eventually lead to damage.... Why is this? Well most end up clipping it cause they expect the sub to put out MORE for the price they paid OR the the sub seems to want more volume... more volume usually leads to clipping where the amp is going beyond it's means...

As long as you are aware of the clipping it shouldn't be an issue till you get a more powerful amp

Edited by theabunai

Can't speak for the BL but the Q can take a lot of power. As for the minimum? I wouldn't go less than 750 on a Q but that is speculative. From a review of the Q, it seems to work really well with 800 watts and more.

I thought the BL and Q had similar power handling characteristics. It seems like the BL is filling the void between the 800 watt SSD and the 3kw+ BTL as far as power handling.

A few thoughts.

As long as you aren't clipping the chit out of the signal you aren't going to kill or hurt or damage a speaker by giving it less than RMS.

Fi BTL can take severe clipping at 5000w. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that with only a single 400w amp you could not cause a BTL to fail. EVER.

BL SSD and Q....could be another story.

The only thing you will get from giving a speaker less than rated power is quieter sound.

Sign in to follow this