Sign in to follow this  
tac2137

Question about Amp dial numbers..

I know this is a really stupid question but I want to make sure I'm tuning my amp correctly.

On my amp the subsonic goes from 10hz at its lowest and 60hz at its peak. If I turn the dial to it's 12 o clock position is that 30hz or is it 40 Hz due to it starting at 10hz and not zero?

Same with LPF. At its lowest it's 35hz and at its peak it's 300hz. At the 12 o clock position is that 150hz or is it 185hz due to it starting at 35hz and not 0?

I always do this equation to guess the SSF (I do the same to guess the LPF too).

60-10=50

50÷2=25

10+25= 35

So by my approach, the halfway point would be 35hz. But that doesn't mean my guess is accurate at all but now that I have a DSP, it takes all the guess work out of it.

Edited by jcarter1885

Honestly, it is a crap shoot that way.

One of the best ways to set the SSF is to use a signal source that will produce a sine wave. You can use an app or find an online source, Youtube has them too. Find out what your enclosure tuning frequency is (this is the point where cone excursion is lowest and port output is highest). Then play around 5Hz lower or however much it takes to get the woofer to unload and start moving like crazy. Now, with your SSF filter starting at the lowest frequency, turn it up until the woofer starts moving about half as much.

BAM! Your SSF is set.  If you do it by "looking at the knob numbers" and guessing your actual tuning frequency, you have no idea if it is working as intended...