Sign in to follow this  
firey_kimchi

Aiming Tweeters

First time going active and need some help with aiming tweeters. My vehicle is a JDM '12 Subaru Forester XS. H/U is Alpine CDA-9887.  I've got SSA Evil tweeters in my A-pillars (in swiveling metal pods) and SSA Evil 6.5 mids in the front and rear doors. They're all being ran off a SSA IC150.4. Tweeters are on CH 1/2 and mids (x4) are on CH 3/4. Where should the tweeters be pointed/aimed? I've read several articles but they all say something different (point at the driver, point at opposite headrests, aim between seats up at the headliner, etc). Is it just trial and error? Anyone with these tweeters or helped with a system with these have any advice? Thanks.

Oh yeah, currently the sub is an OG SSA 12" ICON ported (2.5ft^3 @ 30hz)  but I might change to 2 12" Adire Audio Brahma Mk II sealed later.

Honestly test it out to see. Use some double sided tape or Velcro pads to place them in different locations. I like one location personally and that is on axis. I like my tweeters to be in my face, but I like pro audio as well so take my subjective input with a grain of salt haha.

Aiming is also tweeter dependent, on axis can be harsh to some people. There are people who like their tweeters mounted next to their mids as well. Some tweeters perform better off axis than on axis and vice versa.

They will have flatest response on axis if they are a traditional dome. Normally, the closer they are to the driver handling the next band (e.g., midbass) the better they will integrate.

I would try aiming them on axis at the intended listening first.