Sign in to follow this  
theothermike

12" Fi Q D2 Review / 2.5^3 ft @ 30hz box

Well, around december i received my 12" Fi Q from my uncle who knew me too well i guess. It was given as a gift. So im going to break down this topic into the reveiw first, then into my ?'s

Packaging, First Impressions:

Upon opening the box, the sub was wrapped well and contained in a nice packaged box. only one of the blue things were somewhat worn, so it was slopped down a little, but as i said it was a gift, and probably not handled the best. But still was in perfect shape

When i opened the sub up to take it out and expect at the house, the first thing i noticed was how nice the magnet frame was painted. No scuffs. Later, after more inspection i noticed how stiff the suspension was. very nice. The build quality is great.

*I decided i was going to clean with rubbing alcohol the motor, and also the cone. 2nd part is a bad idea, dont clean with rubbing alcohol. Took logo right off and made a smudge of the glue i believe on the cone. I learned my leason this is my 1st system.* Question concerning this later.

Box:

I decided i hear everyone say they want a sub that hits low, so i decided a box at 2.5^3 @ 30hz after displacements would be adequate. with a double baffle and bracing. Pics later.

First listen:

I had a member of the CA forums set up my system iamamp3pimp (robin) did a incredible job. He dropped the car off. I got a few songs to listen too.

Hypnotize - Young Jeezy

This showed me how low the sub could get. At this time i didnt have the 2nd battery or complete big 3 done, but this song was enough to make me piss myself. My rear deck flexed so much that it was enough to move the top part of my trunk lid with 2 layers of deadening. The sub was loud and low, and very responsive and tight even in ported box.

Top back - T.I.

This song was prettty good at showing it ability to switch between frequencies. My amp was low passed around 60 though so it didnt hit the really high low note. But it was a very good demo from this expierence.

Last song

People of the sun - Rage against the machine

This song was very impressive, i could feel every kick pedal and low bass note common in rage against the machines music. It was a tad bit sloppy on the bass notes but than again they play like that. Very responsive and didnt have trouble playing both the kicks and bass guitar.

2 Weeks later, added big three, suspension is loosened on sub, and 2nd battery

The sub seems to hit even lower now and i adjusted the amp settings a little more now. I believe it passed around 65 hz now, and subsonic at 28 - 32hz. Phase is at 0 and bassboost is not at much either. I sending the sub around 1000 watts.

Songs like coming down da street - unk, knockin head off em - lil jon and put yo hood up (remix) - lil jon, all play loud and low, however i feel the sub is a little sloppier, but not much. I really enjoying this sub, and already have an addiction. I plan on upgrading to either another 12" Q or maybe sell the Q and buy a 15" Bl or maybe even sealing 2 12 or 15" ssds, not sure, but one thing is the same, i will be a life long fi supporter and customer.

PICS!

Trunk View

8321532655.jpg

Close up of my accident and me being stupid rubbing off logo

8321532744.jpg

ALL INTO THIS CAR

33317292460.jpg

Mike-

Edited by theothermike

Good review, pix?