Sign in to follow this  
battles

buying a 12" mag -- enclosure help please

Not breaking any new ground here, I know, but looking to get a bit more input before I do some spending.

My ultimate goal is to have a great SQ substage. I was curious what the best route would be in terms of an enclosure.

Sealed?

Ported?

Tuning?

Size?

Sub firing upwards?

Port firing rear?

SI Suggestions:

Sealed 1 to 1.3 ft^3

Ported 2 ft^3 tuned to 32 Hz

I'm sure I'll end up staying close to these, but which end of the 'spectrum' would yield the greatest sq potential of an SI Mag D2 12"?

Other information that may or may not help:

Car - 1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sub behind rear seat, ample enclosure space)

Amp - USAmps DE1000 (1000wrms+ @1ohm)

Deck - Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS

Music - 70% metal/punk/hardcore --- 30% hip hop

Once again, thanks for any help. I'd really like to hear from some guys that have been through trial(s) with this subwoofer and different enclosure options and speak from experience.

Cheers!

You'd be hard-pressed to come up with a better option than an SI Mag in the recommended sealed alignments...I'd say start with a cube and add polyfill as desired.

You'd be hard-pressed to come up with a better option than an SI Mag in the recommended sealed alignments...I'd say start with a cube and add polyfill as desired.

:fing34:

If you're after SQ first and foremost, go sealed.

If you want to knock your head off from time to time and still have great SQ, go ported. Jim heard the Mag ported...Loyd's car is ported, and I wish mine were ported. :) ...but with what I wanted to do, I didn't have room for ported.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

If I do end up deciding to go ported, what specs would be best to follow to keep the Mag as close to a SQ subwoofer as possible?

Cheers!

I loved the MAG 12 in 2.0 @28hz.

and I wish mine were ported.

Bah, yours sounds fine as it is :)

Those door panels, on the other hand...:D

I'd suggest doing a ported box first and if you don't like the sound build a sealed one. That way you won't worry about what you "might" be missing ;)

Yeah, the doors are getting re-done as soon as I get another Koda or another component set. The rattles/buzzes kill me.

If I do end up deciding to go ported, what specs would be best to follow to keep the Mag as close to a SQ subwoofer as possible?

What we recommend on our web page. :) 2 cubes tuned in the low 30's.

Mine is about 2.1 Cubes at 32hz, great output for me. Sometimes I like to knock my head off, and sometimes I dont, but wanted the option. A little more SQ I would tune a little lower, closer to 28-30hz. I have heard both, sealed and ported, you cant go wrong with either.

Thanks again for the help fellas.

Can anyone confirm Bigbirney's suggestion (that tuning a bit lower will help improve overall sq)?

If I do go ported, is it standard belief that sub firing upwards and port firing rear is the best setup for a wagon/hatchback (1999 subaru impreza wagon).

Cheers!

Edited by battles

Tuning lower doesn't necessarily improve "SQ" persay. What it will do is flatten the response which some people will attribute to "SQ." The difference between 32 to 28 is going to be negligible anyways.