korndawg

Sub for Rock.Metal

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse. but I need help narrowing my decision down to one sub. I listen to NO rap, so big SPL isn't that important to me. I listen to alot of rock and metal, so fast, tight bass, ala Mudvayne, Slipknot, Korn, Tool, Seether.... So LSQ is what I want. Anyways, I want a single 12" sub that will probably be in a ported box. Not sure on the size, but hopefully not huge. Maybe around ~2.0 cu. ft. The amp i have is a Kicker ZX1000.1 birthed at 1152WRMS. K, here's my choices....

FI Q

TC9

TC2000

TC3000 (little more than I want to spend, but if its worth it....)

Which would be the best choice and why? Thanks!!

you're going to want to concentrate on midbass more than subbass

and you'll probably want to go sealed over ported actually

you're going to want to concentrate on midbass more than subbass

and you'll probably want to go sealed over ported actually

Yeah, right now, I don't have great midbass. I'm running Diamond Hex 6.5 comps but I'm hoping to upgrade to Rainbow germaniums in the near future. My subs right now are shot, so I'm in need to some new boom. Also, sealed is the way to go??

i'm with acid...

stronger midbass, and a good sealed enclosure, on the smaller side of things.

as to your choices, i have only experience with the tc9 based rl-p and love it. of course the rl-i8 i own is pretty badass as well. both work great in sealed or ported applications, and the rl-p (tc9) can handle the 1100 or so watts fairly easily, though it's not needed.

the Q has earned it's marks though, and would be well worth the look. also, the mag and the bm should be in the running from SI.

have you spied the homespun SSA woofer? it's projected to be in around $250 and power handling right in your range. but i believe impedance might be an issue. holler at denim for more info.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

The SSA sub will start dual 2 but if need be we will have to offer another coil set up. But I agree with Tom and Kent, with the above choices, I would lean towards the Q/RL-p/TC2000. All three of different design, but all three very good at what they do.

I've seen more recommendations for the TC9 over the TC2000, why is it that? What advantages does the 2000 offer over the TC9? Is it more SPL, SQ or what exactly. I'm a noobie when it comes to high end subs. To prove it, right now, I'm running OLD 10 inch MTX black golds - haha.

nothing wrong with black golds!!

not sure of all the differences between the tc9 anc tc2000..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Haha, I think my black golds are something like 10 years old (around there) Seems like everyday I get less and less bass out of them They were nice back in the day, but now its time for some new technology :)

For your application it is all about the install. What you desire is going to be some brutal work out of your mids and you are going to have to deaden the piss out of your doors to get it. That will make a HUGE difference. Since in metal doesn't have a lot of super lows I'd recommend a sealed enclosure for simplicity for you as well. An Rlp sealed in 1.25cuft will do the job nicely.

I'm running 2 15" RL-P's ported 2.8^3 @32Hz each. I listen to a LOT of 80's metal, Tool, Pantera, etc... and it sounds amazing. Kick drums have MAJOR impact, but not overpowering. Never tried them sealed, but I have no regrets going ported.

I'll be doing a single 15" FI Q 2.8^3 @ 31Hz for the GF's car. Should have it installed next weekend, so if you haven't purchased by then I'll let you know how it sounds as she also listens to a lot of metal.

I also agree that your midbass has to be up to par to complement your sub.

I'll be doing a single 15" FI Q 2.8^3 @ 31Hz for the GF's car. Should have it installed next weekend, so if you haven't purchased by then I'll let you know how it sounds as she also listens to a lot of metal.

I've got a 15" FI Q in 3.5^3 @ 32Hz right now. I've played some hardcore and a bit of death metal on it and it didn't sound that bad, assume it would sound much better on a 12". I love my Q though and I would definitely recommend it.

The BGs were awesome drivers in there day. They can still hang now if you ask me. I know MTX was still rebuilding them a couple years ago, so it may be worth checking into if you still like them. They were MTX's premium driver when they came out.

The BGs were awesome drivers in there day. They can still hand now if you ask me. I know MTX was still rebuilding them a couple years ago, so it may be worth checking into if you still like them. They were MTX's premium driver when they came out.

I guess its a possibilty, but I would sure like to try out the FI-Q if its as great as everyone says it is.

I've got a 15" FI Q in 3.5^3 @ 32Hz right now. I've played some hardcore and a bit of death metal on it and it didn't sound that bad, assume it would sound much better on a 12". I love my Q though and I would definitely recommend it.

Why do you assume it would sound better on a 12"? My old 15" Tempest in a ported box sounded very good playing anything, just wasn't loud enough. The RL-P's are plenty loud and very musical for lack of a better term. I've yet to hear a system even close to being as accurate as mine is, not saying there isn't better, just that everyone else around me is running junk. LOL

"Didn't sound that bad" isn't a very glowing review, got me a little worried now as the GF has BIG expectations for this sub.