Sign in to follow this  
theabunai

Coil option question SSD & Q

Guys i am fully aware that the flatwind and the coppercoils are two options you can not get together...

My question is why can they not be done together (i am trying to learn all i can about the build of these subs for sheer knowledge) ?

I was guessing that scott hasn't found the right coil for the flatwind to get a favorable response to have both copper and flatwind....

And if there is any great advantages to having both, WILL they eventually be a way to get both options?

And if you guys were to find a way to incorporate both will the Q later have an option for the copper coil (I suspect the Q has a flatwind on it, thus no option for a copper coil)?

Edited by theabunai

Its not that they cant be incorporated together, its just that in many instances it creates way too much weight. There really isnt a point to making a flatwind copper coil that weighs 400 grams, just to do it if it doesnt have a benefit (especially for the extra cost). And making one that has similar weight and sizing to the current round wire copper coils so that it has optimal benefits for TS params... is somewhat of a waste as well. We try to optimize things for cost and performance. Doing it just to do it really doesnt make much sense... kind of like adding a 3rd magnet to the older X series as an option and charging more for it simply because we can. Doesnt do anything, so we dont have it.

We are working on more options for drivers, but we want to make sure that they provide a solid difference or gain before we offer them. I can add 50 different things to the lists simply to "hook" people and rack up some extra $$$s per sale. But I wouldnt be happy if I purchased an option that really didnt do anything. So far, the things we have available have been thoroughly tested and are known to make a real difference in performance or application. All future additions will do the same thing.

Along the lines of "updating" current drivers too... I will try to make most options retrofitable as well. Obviously if we produce a machining option, you cant add that to a preassembled driver, but as far as coils, spiders, and other palnned items, they will all be able to be used in current subs (provided that the "universal" option is selected or that the coils you have were gapped correctly or close enough for the newer coils). Im not designing new coils that are larger than the current "universal" gap. Really wouldnt see a benefit in doing so, and I also want to keep things swapable as well.

Thanks...

Scott

heh, scott got to it before i did :)

shoot me an email of you need anything else

-Nick

will do nick

I figured i'd post it since i think like 3-4 threads have people saying flatwind and copper coil

and one post said flatwind with the Q

so for info sake i'd figure i'd post the question

Fair enough, definitely a good thread.

Sign in to follow this