Sign in to follow this  
///M5

Pre-amplifier Options

I need a pre-amp and pretty quick. It doesn't need a phono stage, just a volume knob. Passive would be fine and perhaps even preferred. I don't plan on keeping it very long or if I do it will be relegated to office/bedroom/garage duty. Something that is already depreciated so I wouldn't lose on buying it would be perfect. So if anyone has any recommendations or anything for sale let me know. I am open to about anything. I would prefer to spend less than $300 but don't want something super disposable either. If there was a cheap solution, in particular that was portable that could be sweet too. The current application is just as a source (single) for the whole house stereo while I sell it. It will be connected to most likely satellite radio via an M-audio sound card.

I see used Adcom pre's selling for under $300 all the time...you can probably find used Bottlehead Foreplay 2's on Audiogon for under 3 Benjamins, but that may be too nice for what you're using it for :)

Passive "preamps" have their own quirks, using transformers instead of just pots gets around most of the output impedance problems but the cheapest TVC I know of is the Promitheus TVC....gets rave reviews but at $320 is a little higher than your budget.

I am sort of Adcom'd out. If another one hit me in the face I'd bring it home though I suppose. Oh by the way, no such thing as too nice and my budget is flexible. If there were a reasonable solution for much less I'd do it, but if it is nice enough I may keep it for a while. It could become the office pre-amp.

Google Promitheus TVC. People seem to love 'em, I was considering buying one until the ARC SP-9MKII came along and blew that budget out of the water :OhYeah:

There's a guy on another board I'm on who's selling a Counterpoint SA-3 tubed pre for $300, I asked for pics, might be another good option if it's in decent shape.

Looks good!

Anything with tone controls gets sneers from the audiophool crowd...eff 'em, probably sounds great :)

Sexy:

topview.JPG

Begs for big aluminum knobs though.

Looks good!

Anything with tone controls gets sneers from the audiophool crowd...eff 'em, probably sounds great :)

I'd prefer not anyways, using a pc as a source I will have more than plenty of tuning options.

Sexy:

topview.JPG

Begs for big aluminum knobs though.

I also hesistated on it because my amps have wood sides, the cabinet is wood, the last thing I needed was a wooden preamp :D

Parts Connexion (sp?) has the big sexy aluminum knobs :coolugh: