Sign in to follow this  
madscientist

help me decide

So I am trying to decide between either a Q or a BL. I will be picking up either a 12 or a 15, depending on what kind of car I finally decide to get (is it sad that size of the trunk to fit a bigger box is actually a big factor in my decision?).

So I am looking for something clean, but powerful. I listen mostly to rap, but I like to mix it up with some rock every now and again. One of the big problems I have with my current setup is that my subs can't seem to keep up with a quick bass line. So I am looking for something quick, yet powerful enough to feed my need. Now I understand the BL will get louder than the Q but at the loss of SQ. How much of a loss are we talking about? Can anyone explain the major differences I will encounter with the two?

Finally, as far as amps go, I was thinking about jumping in on that SAE-1000D preorder. How important is it to have some overhead on your amplifier. Am I really going to notice a difference feeding these subs 1000W from the SAE-1000D versus giving it 1200W from another amp?

Sorry for the newb questions... just trying to get my feet wet with some of this stuff. Thanks guys.

both the BL and the Q will do fine and get quite loud. they may not be at peak performance. if you arent gain happy either will sound fine with a good clean 1000 watts or even less but can take plenty more.

as for sound quality, the BLs can keep up with quite fast beats like you would hear in rock or metal. nothing passes by mine weather it be some hard ass jeezy or some metallica and im running 18"ers so i guess the smaller you go the speedier they may be, ive heard thats a myth though?...

good luck with yer purchase, you should be happy with either one, i hear there isnt a whole lot of difference to the ear between the two...

IMO the size of the sub isn't as big a factor as the setup and enclosure. I helped my bro setup his 12" BL in a box that isn't at all the right specs for it, and while it sounds deep, it just isn't getting the quick notes as well as my 18" BTLs.

I believe his sub will sound awesome once we get the right box on it, but that's a major factor.

(is it sad that size of the trunk to fit a bigger box is actually a big factor in my decision?). -No. I had a mustang gt, and while I decided to go to an suv to haul stuff and for work/family reasons, sub/box size did pop in my mind more than once ;)

I think if you build your enclosure well you'll be happy with either.

IMO the size of the sub isn't as big a factor as the setup and enclosure. I helped my bro setup his 12" BL in a box that isn't at all the right specs for it, and while it sounds deep, it just isn't getting the quick notes as well as my 18" BTLs.

I believe his sub will sound awesome once we get the right box on it, but that's a major factor.

(is it sad that size of the trunk to fit a bigger box is actually a big factor in my decision?). -No. I had a mustang gt, and while I decided to go to an suv to haul stuff and for work/family reasons, sub/box size did pop in my mind more than once ;)

I think if you build your enclosure well you'll be happy with either.

That is exactly why i want an extended cab dakota (building an spl vehicle next). When deciding on new vehicles it is my first thought, how much room/ cost would doing a system in that vehicle. That's why i have been doing neons, cheap expendable vehicles so i don't feel guilty tearing them apart and modifying almost every panel.

What do you consider a well-built enclosure? I was thinking of getting an SUV, so I was thinking of putting a 15 in a 4.0 ft^3 box tuned to 30 Hz or so in a sub up, port back kind of configuration. I am very new to building ported boxes - I've always built sealed ones but I wanted to try something different this time around since I will have some space to do it.

Can anyone recommend me a couple amps to power one of these things other than the SAE-1000D? Something in the $300 range?

What do you consider a well-built enclosure? I was thinking of getting an SUV, so I was thinking of putting a 15 in a 4.0 ft^3 box tuned to 30 Hz or so in a sub up, port back kind of configuration. I am very new to building ported boxes - I've always built sealed ones but I wanted to try something different this time around since I will have some space to do it.

Can anyone recommend me a couple amps to power one of these things other than the SAE-1000D? Something in the $300 range?

I just mean that it's built to match the specs of the individual sub/vehicle well.

What do you have agains the SAE-1000D.

Good price... I know you cannot get a crossfire 1000D for that...

I don't have anything against the SAE-1000D. Actually, when I saw it I thought that it would probably be perfect. Good product, good company, good price. My concern was that maybe I wouldn't be giving these subs all the power that they could handle. I'm not one to leave resources untapped. I'm also very hesitant about purchases like this because I want to make sure I have researched all my possible options before committing to something.

The BL definately keeps up with the quicker bass notes. I have mine off of a MB quart raa1000 and I'm very happy with my output. I think I'm going to order the sae1000 though because sundown is a great company and their warranty policy is hard to beat.

I don't have anything against the SAE-1000D. Actually, when I saw it I thought that it would probably be perfect. Good product, good company, good price. My concern was that maybe I wouldn't be giving these subs all the power that they could handle. I'm not one to leave resources untapped. I'm also very hesitant about purchases like this because I want to make sure I have researched all my possible options before committing to something.

My other suggestion would be a Crossfire VR1000D ( You need to buy used as they are not made new anymore) or a eD 9.1 (Also used, new is about $360.

Sign in to follow this