Aaron Clinton

Tweeter and Xover assistance

Are your plans to use the "factory" measurements or re-do them yourselves?

I'd spend the money on the Morel or Seas then and use just a 1st order crossover. It would allow you to upgrade the crossover later if you felt the necessity, but give you nice drivers to work with. The only other crossover pieces that you should add would be a zobel to knock out the tweeter impedance rise and perhaps an L-pad of sort to bring the levels of both drivers close.

He probably wouldn't need impedance compensation on the tweeter since most units already have low inductance to begin with. Gio and I found the MLI to sound better with a higher order xover (18db pumped through the DCX) but we were listening to drivers straight out of the box. I'm sure exercising and work-in would result in a much more dynamic sound than what we were hearing.

Aaron, exercise the cones of the drivers before you start playing with them.

Yes sir. ;)

Are your plans to use the "factory" measurements or re-do them yourselves?

Which ever we decide is best. Kinda want to make this a SSA team project. :)

Always best to measure.

If this isn't meant to be a very critical set then get a dayton tweeter and then their 3-way crossover that best matches and be done with it. I personally like the sound of more silks than alloys so I would go with http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.c...tnumber=275-070

Goes low as well. XO points as low as 1800 :) This should help if you decide to design and build your own XO.

Me personally for a bedroom, I'd just slap a pre-made XO and be done. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=260-150 Of course the woofer plays to high for my liking, but it works good enough.

I would like to do silm 3-way towers with side firing subs, but I dont think I have space for them at the moment. Plus I only have a single MAW-12 instead of a pair for a true 3 way. I would like to do in my next set up for my major HA downstairs, doing 2 to 4 MLI's in the same tower, then my MJ-18 get a buddy and put them in a stupid large box. I could change the future of my RL-i 8's future and make it the sub for this install, but the MAW-12 matches up well because of the dual 4 coils and added surface advantage.

But for now this is getting me back into doing a HA speaker, because I have not done one in years. The last one I did was actually using a 2-way folded horn set up in undergrad. IT way my buddies in college, using an old RF 6.5" and Morel silk dome in large FH box. Sounded awesome, no need for a sub what so ever.

So this is just a basic set up for a sweet little set of 2-ways with the single sub.

The IX-18(make it 2-4) and and an IB manifold for downstair HA :) 'nuff said.

I have decided on Custom Audio Technology doing my crossover. So since he is here, we can pick the exact parts (as a group :) ) and he will build it for me. That way it will make it even more of an SSA DIY set up. ;) Also with me being me, the more custom tweeks or adjustments I can have my hands in and less premade the better.

But thank you for your suggestions, please give me more ideas.

Haha, you're a control freak, eh Aaron?

I know the feeling.

You won't need anything in the way of impedance EQing in the way of the tweeter, thats for sure. Most tweeters have an inductance of around .1 or so. I don't recall Le being listed on Mach5's website for the MLI, but we can figure something out.

An L-Pad could definately be thrown into the mix, based on the tweeter, and what type of enclosure we use for the MLI.

Nonetheless, if you want to keep this under 100 for tweeters and xovers you're probably going to have to keep your tweeter cost to a minimum, as parts can get rather expensive.

If you select a tweeter that can be integrated in a 2nd order slope then your cost of parts will go down. You're looking at roughly 50-60 bucks in parts. You'll want to get a tweeter with an Fs of 1khz or less.

Audio stuff is funny, because where you give you must take.

A higher Fs tweeter can be used on a steeper slope, but at the cost of more xover parts.

A lower Fs tweeter can be used on a shallower slope, but generally a tweeter with a lower Fs costs considerably more.

Less expensive drivers also have some consistency issues.

All that said, I'm here for you and I'll help you out wherever you need it.

CT

So if the parameters are a low reaching soft dome tweet...

do you guys feel the Seas 27TDF would be a good start?

i had the 27tdfc and i really didn't like the sound of them. i prefer the morel mdt29 by leaps and bounds. Of course i had them in the stratus dropped in the dash reflecting off the windshield (same spot the morels were). It just seemed like no matter how much i attenuated them they were still too bright.

but at the same time people on htguide absolutely love them, so it's more likely my personal prefernce than the actual tweet.

I dont tend to like overly bright tweets.

I have a set on the way here as well, but haven't heard them yet. On other sites they are regularly called the poor man's millenium which I have heard. The millenium tweet is outstanding and I wouldn't call it bright at all, even though it is very detailed. I would expect that Matt's mounting had some definite influence on their output but won't really be able to comment until I can listen to mine. I will let you know when I do.

edit: from pure speculation I think that would be a great tweeter to start out with.

Here's the first round of Gio's MTM using the HiVi tweeter. Despite the high rise, Gio said it is quite pleasing to the ear.

Gio-freq-resp.jpg

I seemed to like them more than Mark. Mark is also very picky about beers. I think next round we should look at a far field response. I know you won't like me saying this, but it may need some BSC. :o

Edited by gmilitano

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl....amp;orefer=dotd if you could get your moofers to work, thats a cheap arse tweet

Wow that is cheap, but does not take much power. :fing34:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl....amp;orefer=dotd if you could get your moofers to work, thats a cheap arse tweet

Wow that is cheap, but does not take much power. :fing34:

Cheap tweets are cool, and sometimes you can really find a "diamond in the rough." Sometimes, though, you run into consistency issues, and cheaply built tweeters. Am I pushing you away from buying the Hi-Vi's? Of course not. They could be a solid performer. Hell, you can buy expensive tweeters with consistency problems. We can give you all of our advice, and personal experience, but in the end it's up to you and what you want to spend.

Ideally what you want is a silk dome with a flat FR graph, low FS (1khz), no crazy resonance peak in a rather inexpensive package.

:OhYeah: (Haha, Dane Cook)

CT

I seemed to like them more than Mark. Mark is also very picky about beers. I think next round we should look at a far field response. I know you won't like me saying this, but it may need some BSC. :o

BSC is for babies...

What about the morel MDT29?

$$$ for the project, maybe the 20's...

ok so what are the top 3 as of now???

Theres a Dayton equiv. of the MDT29 that is supposed to be almost the same...

*trying to find the link*

*edit*

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=275-075

Do we have a winner???

Theres a Dayton equiv. of the MDT29 that is supposed to be almost the same...

*trying to find the link*

*edit*

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=275-075

Do we have a winner???

Go for it mang, looks like a nice tweet.

CT