Sign in to follow this  
the727kid

Broken Tinsel Lead

1900 watts severely clipped...that tinsel is burnt pretty bad...and by the looks of the back of the cone it looks like its had a rough life under tuning.

Thats what happens when you strap high current amps down that low..they shoot a bunch of current out and produce a LOT of excess heat..

Recone is the only way to fix it, unless you want to try to solder the lead back together.

I set the gains with a DMM to set at .375 (even tho amps see a .5 load) and they did not sound like clipping at all. I've read other people saying these subs can't handle that much power either and getting pretty hot at 1600rms.

Edited by The727Kid

That much power out of a high current amp strapped down low? No..you use your head with those amps and your not going to hurt the sub...i mean we threw 4 of them on a BTL and the tinsels weren't even remotely burnt...nor was the coil.

When you strap amps down that low you are attempting to put out more current then voltage to drive the sub....which is nothing more then heat...i've harped time and time again that there is NO need to run an amp below 1ohm on a daily driving scenario, it's too rough on equipment, amps and subs both.

Doesn't matter how you set it up with a DMM or not, only way to know you are not clipping them (which by looking how brown the tinsels are there was clipping/gobs of current present) is with a o-scope. The only gain that is functional when the amps are strapped is the one that is acting as the 'master'. - .375 per amp is a really low load..i'm honestly shocked you haven't killed them yet.

So if I unstrap the amps and run each amp at .5 (I cant run a 1ohm with my configs) you think they will be good?

So if I unstrap the amps and run each amp at .5 (I cant run a 1ohm with my configs) you think they will be good?

No.

nG

Stage 2's aren't going to take that kind of power either, its a issue with running the amps that low and producing a lot of excess heat...

Easy on the volume knob and the gains, it'l be fine.

That's the thing though, when I first put them in I had the gain set higher, then on the rebuild I set it probally ~7v lower and it was quieter, but I was like w.e and it still happened.

Your HU also has EIGHT VOLT pre-outs...

how high is your single gain set?

nG

It's barley up at all lol.

Nick

Just some question here. You were mentioning that loading the sub with high current may hurt the sub when you wire it to low ohm load. Are you referring to clipping or more watts?

Nick

Just some question here. You were mentioning that loading the sub with high current may hurt the sub when you wire it to low ohm load. Are you referring to clipping or more watts?

I believe he is referring to the manner as to which the wattage is delivered not clipping.

My understanding of it is when you load the amps that low the current increases more than the increase in voltage (current is the acutal flow of electrons, voltage is just the push). A greater increase in current than voltage is going to mean an even bigger increase in heat that has to be dissapated.

*Although I could be completely wrong*

So would cooling the amps significantly help? I have 10 computer fans laying around waiting for a home.

So would cooling the amps significantly help? I have 10 computer fans laying around waiting for a home.

The amps aren't the ones burning up...

Cooling is not relevant..you got happy with said volume knob and burnt the tinsel :)

Nick

I believe he is referring to the manner as to which the wattage is delivered not clipping.

My understanding of it is when you load the amps that low the current increases more than the increase in voltage (current is the acutal flow of electrons, voltage is just the push). A greater increase in current than voltage is going to mean an even bigger increase in heat that has to be dissapated.

*Although I could be completely wrong*

Dead on

I never "got happy" with the volume knob it is set to 60/80 and I maybe turn it to 62 at most on weak bass songs.

I never "got happy" with the volume knob it is set to 60/80 and I maybe turn it to 62 at most on weak bass songs.

Face it man, hes not trying to knock you. Dosen't matter how it happend, be it the gain was to high or you liked the volume knob to high. TO much current was pushed through the tinsel leads and they got HOT and went poof. That only happens with to much power. :)

Yea, I know it basically that. I'm just pretty sure they weren't clipping, but just couldn't take the power.

Haha I did read, but his first response to me was I was clipping all hell out of the amps.

So it is safe to say that loading with 0.5ohm but stays within the limit would be safe. I know that the amps may get little hot if wired lower than 1 ohm but do subs do to?

Anyone can explain about increase in current with voltage remains the same thinngy..... amateurs at work here... LOL

60 out of 80 on a volume knob is not relevant either...tinsels do not burn themselves clipping burns tinsels because it generates a ton of excess heat, aside from the fact that the sub is rated at 1000 watts rms :).

The days today of the high current amps loaded way down produce a TON of current, and when you get loose behind the gains/volume knob things are much more prone to burn and have problems...

I've thrown over 8000 watts through those tinsels, with a high voltage based amp, not high current...and it's pretty as can be.

Easy on the volume knob, or get a shop to tune the amps for you...otherwise you'll continue to have problems regardless of what you run.

So say at a 2ohm load 2000watts would be nothing for these subs. But at a .5 load, beause of the less resistance it more harsh on the subs?

Sign in to follow this