JEREMIAH

mj18 SQ/SPL

so what dos the mj-18 sound like? SQ/SPL I am going to buy one and put it in a 4cu/ft@29hz

what would you campar it to :takepix:

I would run that volume sealed, not ported!

I dont have a program installed, but u'd probably gain next to nothing by porting it.

Keep it sealed.

Incar, my MJ18's are clean, very articulated, and have awesome dynamics. Finesse is a good word to describe them with. They dont benefit much from high power levels though, so there's really not much point in giving each one more than say, 500 watts RMS.

I built one in a 3.5cf sealed box and gave it 400watts. It is probably one of the cleanest, and most accurate 18's I've ever heard. It does get loud as well, I would have one for my car but don't have the room. This speaker takes a long time to break in, and I really mean that, it gets louder the longer you use it. It also sounds better the more you use it, but defenitely go sealed on this speaker.

but did int mark say 4cu.ft @29hz is recommended ???

If you want to go ported, I would suggest a minimum of 4.5 cubes. If you cannot achieve that internal volume and still desire a ported config, use plenty of stuffing (fibreglass) to help absorb the backwave.

Going ported will provide you with more output, but as the others have said, it will not be quite as articulate as if you went sealed.

Best,

Mark

I can attest of the quality of sound from the MJ-18 sealed. You could try to go ported and tune it nice and low and have a massive bottom end. There is the possibility you might lose a tiny bit of accuracy, but I think it will be fine in car.

will I just don't know what to do I want something (a LOT louder ) than my maw-12 in a 2cu.ft@33hz

but I like SQ to will a mj-18 give me that BOOOOMMMM!! people 1/2 mile a way are like heay what's that?

I want to be able to See my hair move will I get that with a mj-18 in a sealed box? @500Wrms? ..

O and I have a trunk car ( Toytoa Camry). so what do you think?

I dunno how far away my setup can be heard (2x MJ18's in 3.25cf sealed a piece, off 2kw RMS), but I've had the drivers window halfway down, and people 40 feet away turn around with a "OMGWTF" look on their face....

Is there any way you could run a pair of MAW15's?

They'll be easier to fit rear-firing, work better in 4cf sealed total, and have more cone area than the MJ18.

If you want some output force, port and MJ-18 or try the 15's sealed. There are plenty of people happy with 15s sealed.

i dunno if you can make your hair move with only 500 watts...but maybe....you're probably gonna need a system with at least 1k watts to be able to actually see your hair moving...that being said the mj18 will be a helluva lot louder than what you have right now and will sound very nice in a sealed box...

i agree with viperoni though, 2 15s would be better in this application, and you would definitely feel your hair moving and people would hear you from a ways away :fing34:

yes I know that two 15" maw-15 would be better that one mj-18 but I dont have the $$/power for the two 15"

that is why I want the mj-18 for $107 to the dor it's like the most LSQ you can get for the $$...so a mj-18 in a 3.5cu.ft sealed

box will be a LOT LOUDER than my one 12" ported right?

Edited by JEREMIAH....

if I make a ported box 4cu.ft@27hz with a lot ofstuffing will that work. how mene db will I gan

with this box ^^ over the sealed ?

if I make a ported box 4cu.ft@27hz with a lot ofstuffing will that work. how mene db will I gan

with this box ^^ over the sealed ?

3.729 deeebeeez.... AT LEAST ....

it's very hard to predict how much you will gain. experimentation is key in getting the right sound.

4 cubes @ 27Hz for an MJ18 ?

depending on the 12, a sealed MJ18 has the balls to come out on top.

well it's just if I can go ported I would like to. but if I only Gan like 1db with a 4cu.ft@27hz box over a 3.5 cu.ft sealed box

than I might wont to go sealed..O and I like low end..

Edited by JEREMIAH....

will I just don't know what to do I want something (a LOT louder ) than my maw-12 in a 2cu.ft@33hz

but I like SQ to will a mj-18 give me that BOOOOMMMM!! people 1/2 mile a way are like heay what's that?

I want to be able to See my hair move will I get that with a mj-18 in a sealed box? @500Wrms? ..

If you want that get a fricking mega-phone...... :dammit:

If you want that get a fricking mega-phone...... :dammit:

hahaha :shutup:

Where did all these fancy smilies come from?

Jeremiah, you've been struggling with this for at least a couple of months now. Just buy the damn driver already - be done with it. Build yourself one box and see how it sounds to you. If it shakes the ground you stand on, you're home. If you don't like it, build a different one. What's the most it will cost you? $20?

C'mon man, quit living inside the box modeling programs. Take back your life...

Best,

Mark

OK first box is going to be 4.314cu.ft ( be for driver displacement) with 36.25" of port area the port will be 2.5"W and 19"H

tuned to 27hz and I will get poly filler the kind that is in a roll how many inches thick should do? do I staple it in.

sooo that will be the first box what do you all think? yea/nay? project FTW! :)

I don't know what it will be tuned to after driver displacement and poly filler less that 27hz/more than 27hz?

OK first box is going to be 4.314cu.ft ( be for driver displacement) with 36.25" of port area the port will be 2.5"W and 19"H

tuned to 27hz and I will get poly filler the kind that is in a roll how many inches thick should do? do I staple it in.

sooo that will be the first box what do you all think? yea/nay? project FTW! :)

Ok good. At least you've decided on a box size and a driver. Shheezzz...

Don't worry too much about the driver displacement. Too much emphasis is placed on this for no reason. Do you really think you will be able to tell the difference between a 4.314cu. ft. box and a 4.5cu. ft. box. I don't think so...

Take that poly fill and stuff it... handfuls of it, don't worry about stapling it down. Keep it away from the port area of course, but stuff it nice and tight. Right up to the back of the driver.

Then listen to it...

Keep the stuffing near the driver, I would keep it away from the port as much as possible. It needs to resonate as much as possible, you dont want stuffing absorbing the port's work.

Also bump the tuning up; 32hz would be a better choice if you like rap/hiphop.

Now go out and do it :)