Sign in to follow this  
JazzScreamer

AA Small Speakers

Willing to discuss specifics on the original and new ring design, and how they compare? Can we expect a good drop in inductance, or are we talking about a shorting ring design to simply decrease flux modulation by steering eddy currents back into the gap?

Bump?

Both... the new ring is slightly thicker and the sleeve wraps over the top vs just a sleeve on the original. In having time to go back through with a new FEA program, the changes seemed to make some sense for this run of them. While it wont be magically amazingly different, it is a tweak that could be made and I felt should be. While it reduces inductance, it also evens the inductance swing, reducing distortion a little further. With most measurement systems, inductance is a lumped measurement, meaning that it averages in and out stroke inductance (which can vary wildly). All to often people add a pole cap as it is very easy to do and they measure a decrease in overall inductance... while there is a decrease overall, it can be completely contributed to the outstroke (which already has the lower side of the inductance swing). So while they see this decrease as a good thing, it actually just increased overall distortion due to making the in and out shift even greater.

Nothing magical, just making things incrementally better.

Thanks,

Scott

Both... the new ring is slightly thicker and the sleeve wraps over the top vs just a sleeve on the original. In having time to go back through with a new FEA program, the changes seemed to make some sense for this run of them. While it wont be magically amazingly different, it is a tweak that could be made and I felt should be. While it reduces inductance, it also evens the inductance swing, reducing distortion a little further. With most measurement systems, inductance is a lumped measurement, meaning that it averages in and out stroke inductance (which can vary wildly). All to often people add a pole cap as it is very easy to do and they measure a decrease in overall inductance... while there is a decrease overall, it can be completely contributed to the outstroke (which already has the lower side of the inductance swing). So while they see this decrease as a good thing, it actually just increased overall distortion due to making the in and out shift even greater.

Thanks,

Scott

So what does this mean to the average JOE? I like reading about all the tech stuff that is involve in the making and tweaking of speakers, but you've lost me with all this tech talk. Is there a way you can explain this for the majority of the people on the forum.

By the way, it's great to read stuff like this on the forum. It tells me that some people know what they are talking about, unlike most other forums, where all the concern is.....

Is it louder?

What's the MAX wattage I can put into this Sub?

Not my cup of tea, but I've been there. (late 80's..Mustang hatchback and 2 15'' MTX subs...crazy times)Maybe age has caught up with me.

Edited by JazzScreamer

Thanks,

Scott

So what does this mean to the average JOE? I like reading about all the tech stuff that is involve in the making and tweaking of speakers, but you've lost me with all this tech talk. Is there a way you can explain this for the majority of the people on the forum.

By the way, it's great to read stuff like this on the forum. It tells me that some people know what they are talking about, unlike most other forums, where all the concern is.....

Is it louder?

Not my cup of tea, but I've been there. (late 80's..Mustang hatchback and 2 15'' MTX subs...crazy times)Maybe age has caught up with me.

What Scott is basically describing is decreasing both the inductance and inductance variation. The lower inductance is usually good for better transient response (meaning better top-end performance with what is usually considered a more "accurate" or "quicker" sound). The lower inductance variation is good for decreasing distortion. Overall, inductance only counts for roughly less than 10% of the total distortion product (which is why he mentioned there would be no magical changes) but it is a logical improvement to be made.

Thanks for the reply Scott. Much appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Is it louder?

What Scott is basically describing is decreasing both the inductance and inductance variation. The lower inductance is usually good for better transient response (meaning better top-end performance with what is usually considered a more "accurate" or "quicker" sound). The lower inductance variation is good for decreasing distortion. Overall, inductance only counts for roughly less than 10% of the total distortion product (which is why he mentioned there would be no magical changes) but it is a logical improvement to be made.

Thanks for the reply Scott. Much appreciated.

Got it. Makes total sense now.

Sign in to follow this