geoffstgermaine

Tiny RL-i8 Enclosure Question

I've been considering putting a sub into an '00 Integra. Basically I am looking that I suppose what would be called an SQ sub, in that I am not greatly concerned with SPL as I don't listen to music very loudly and I also would prefer to have a near flat frequency response between across the sub and the main speakers.

Ok, so I'm doing a little modeling and one thing has me troubled. I see on the SoundSplinter RL-i8 page that the recommended sealed enclosure volume is 0.2 to 0.65 cu ft with optimal car being 0.5 cu ft. From my modeling I'm coming up with about 0.09 cu ft for a Q=0.7 alignment. Is there some reason that I wouldn't want this sort of alignment in a car? I was wanting something in the 0.5-0.7 range which necessitates an enclosure between 0.1 and 0.2 cu ft. A tiny enclosure is fine with me as I'd prefer to have it as small as possible.

Any thoughts?

Mike usually recommends bigger enclosures compared to the optimal enclosures calculated by a program.

go with his recommendations. .5 cf sounds good. if you don't like the sound, you can always add some fill to compensate for the small airspace.

i had my pair in 0.25 sealed each, not enough bottom end IMO

they're in 0.35 or so sealed each now, and it's much better, still going to add some polyfil though

Mine were in .4cuft and they were enjoyable.

I agree with above, try to stay .4 and above.

i'll disagree a bit. i ran mine in .17ft^3 and it was very productive. yeah, it lacked a bit of bottom end, but was still very responsive and dropped low. i liked it better ported, but they can indeed work very well in very small enclosures.

btw, i still have that enclosure sitting here if your interested. 3/4" mdf, non finished. make an offer.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: