Sign in to follow this  
dopey

SSD Review

I got into car audio about 12 years ago. I was a bass player and one day figured out that I could play CD's thru my bass amp. It was all downhill from there. I started listening to bass and rap CD's in the house. Then I realized I was missing something in the car. My first subs were Lanzar 12" OA's (designed for infinite baffle) in a large sealed box in the back of my 4Runner. Since then I have had Orion XTR's, Image Dynamics ID's, and some loud crappy Audiobahn's. I have always liked the sound of sealed systems, and the simplicity of build. I have heard MANY ported systems, and while they were always LOUD AS HELL, there were things I didn't like about them. Port chuffing was a BIG turnoff on most of the ported systems I've heard. Narrow frequency band was another.

I sold my last subs a few years ago, and ever since I've been missing them. I just got a job, and have some xtra cash. First purchase was car audio gear. I wanted loudest possible in my car, and something loud and nice for the wifes car. Her system is what I'm reviewing today.

I didn't sell the amp. It is a Lanzar VHC2000. The sub has the Copper coil option. And it's a dual 2ohm coil. The car is a stock BMW 330ci from 2002. The battery in these cars is in the trunk, so I ran 1/0 power and ground straight off the battery, about 4 feet. ( I didn't fuse the run either, I !DO NOT! recommend this, but it works for me.) For speaker wire, I had some 8ga power wire left over after a few older installs.

The amp is supposed to make 1100w at 4ohm mono, but I seriously doubt that's happening. Look at the amp, that power IS NOT coming out of it.

Anyway, the sub is sealed with approx 1.5cuft. The box is single walled MDF facing up in the trunk.

I listen to a wide range of music. Everything from 'drum and bass' to 'house' to rap to hardcore techno to metal to emo to old country to old jazz. All of this can be found in my CD case. Mostly rap and metal though.

The SSD has a HUGE low end. From 25hz to 40hz it (all by itself) is as loud as some systems with the same power and 2 12"s!!! It seems to be a little lacking in the upper bass, but thats fine with me, I live for the LOW LOW stuff. The low end of this sub makes me VERY happy. I just wish the 50-80hz would be as deafening. Songs like 50cent "Little Bit" are really loud, but "Toy Soldiers" isn't. "Toy Soldiers" was as loud on my last system as "Little Bit".

I need to talk about the sound quality. pucking WONDERFUL! Even my Image Dynamics didn't sound this nice. The bass lines on The Who's greatest hits sounded woody and accurate. The bass and kick drums on Van Halen's "Panama" were perfect. Tori Amos's piano sounded real and balanced on "Mohammed My Friend". I just haven't heard bass this accurate before. ( I haven't heard the "Q", but after this, I can't believe that there is a big enough difference to warrant the extra cost.) I just love this sub.

The upper bass (50-80hz) is softer and less defined. This allows it to blend with the factory system, and just fill out the lows. I plan ( and wonder if) putting this sub in a ported box would help "stiffen" the upper register. But I'm afraid that it will overpower the factory mids. I will built a new box in a few weeks and will update this.

Summing up.

Pros, cheap and loud. WONDERFUL SQ!

Cons, upper register isn't as loud as I think it could be.

This is the Lanzar that's powering it.

inside5.jpg

This is the box it's in.

IMG_0649.jpg

This is the 8ga "power" wire I'm using as "speaker" wire :)

IMG_0652.jpg

This is showing the HUGE excursion on 30hz, 31hz, 32hz, 33hz, 34hz, 35hz.

th_SSD30hz-35hz.jpg

Any questions?

Nice sub, and great review.