Sign in to follow this  
johny24

1 Q 18" review!!!

First off, I could NOT be happier. Alot of bang for the buck, and that's what I needed from this sub. It sounds excelent, especially for being in a box thats 11.6 cubes. I set the amp to send the sub the full 1000 watts when the bass boost is all the way up. When I listen to music, I have the boost all the way down cause its still loud, but sounds perfectly in tune with the mids and highs. Whenever I get bored is when I crank it up, but personally my ears dont like the pressure all too much. This enclosure was intended for music with the tuning at 28-30 hz, and I never planned on competing, although I went to a db drag on the 15th. I entered and qualified with a 138, quite the ugly score, but I was using the db jam cd that you can borrow from the judges. I played some stupid track I was told to, it didn't work out well. So first round comes along, I hit 145.2 with jeezy on my own cd because I knew it would play properly. The track was hypnotize, and it hit 145.2 at 39 hz. I am thrilled with that for my first try!

I can add more once I shrink the volume of the box a bit, I could also comment on the higher tuning before I lengthen the port.

NUMBERS:

-145.2 db with music on the TL

-1000 watts rms (lanzar opti1400D)

-11.6 cube box

-tuned to 28-30hz

-125 square inches of port (flared out to almost 200)

-18" of Fi "Q"uality

Pics today after school

Edited by johny24

not bad at all. I understand what you mean, it's good to have balance- not just pure bass all the time. Good job on your first try, I'm waiting for a show near me myself.

Repost a copy in the review section. ;)

ok so photos are in order from the begining of the build to the final product, with some sub shots at the end!!

mounts for dancefloor

DSC01590.jpg

dancefloor

DSC01589.jpg

sides of the box

DSC01592.jpg

I like to call this the "frame method" to building walls

DSC01593.jpg

compared to a 12" type-R

DSC01597.jpg

again with the R, in the cutout for the Q18

DSC01596.jpg

Test fitting for the next couple pics (I'm poor, I didnt have saw horses at this point)

kylessub001.jpg

kylessub002.jpg

kylessub003.jpg

All framed in nice and neat

morewallios003.jpg

morewallios001.jpg

Q in the wall for the first time! (looks off center but my seats are just adjusted differently)

FiQ18002.jpg

And so fiberglassing begins

DSC01663.jpg

DSC01665.jpg

DSC01664.jpg

DSC01666.jpg

After a long time came bondo and paint (although I got lazy with the bondo, it still looks sweet as heck)

FiQ18011.jpg

FiQ18010.jpg

FiQ18012.jpg

Now for sexy subwoofer poses!

morewallios011.jpg

morewallios010.jpg

morewallios009.jpg

morewallios006.jpg

morewallios005.jpg

kylessub005.jpg

kylessub004.jpg

Edited by johny24

I must say that is one h*ll of a commitment right there to a sub. Not everyone glasses in a box and wall to their car :)

I am definitely glad you like it and its working out well for you.

Thanks for the pics and review!

Scott...

I cant afford a 1500watt amp right now, savin up for a new car :)

Wow saving up for a new car. That means when you sell this car, you can add to the advertisement stating it comes included with a 18" subwoofer enclosure, lol. Props for the successful project. It must be really loud right there next to your ears.

haha i cant sell it, i crashed it almost 2 years ago plus its 12 years old.

what do you think an '07 VW golf would sound like with 2 18"s in it? im wondering the same haha

Sign in to follow this