Sign in to follow this  
helotaxi

4 ohm home reciever

Anyone know of a decent home receiver or integrated amp that doesn't mind 4 ohm speakers? I had a Carver CM-1090 but my sister somehow got it. Still trying to figure that one out. She got my CD changer, TV, VCR and speakers, too. Not looking to spend too much and don't mind used.

Does it really have to be integrated? The reason I ask is that the Adcom amps will do just fine with that load and you can find them pretty cheap everywhere.

I don't have a preamp. Integrated is good [voice=Forest Gump] 'cause ya know, one less thing [/voice].

The setup will involve my old CDT speakers and probably an XM tuner and/or iPod for a shop radio. SIck of using the radio on the Harley while I'm working in the garage. A big cheap power supply would work, too. I have a matching set of US Amps USA-25s that would be fun on a set of comps and a sub (have the sub, HU and external crossover all sitting around, too). Since it will probably spend it's life in the garage I don't want to get too exspensive or too complex.

I'm just getting some ideas at this point. I'll need a new project once I'm "done" with the car.

You can always build a passive pre and just use an amp.

I could but me sitting around soldering stuff up isn't going to fly with the wife. Looking on eBay the Adcom stuff might work out even having to buy a preamp/tuner. Any other thoughts?

Perhaps an older NAD as well. Not positive they will all support 4 ohms, but I would sure think so. Again separates is the trouble. I personally don't know of any integrated solution that is 4 ohm happy, but would imagine that any receiver that has a/b outputs might be a possibility. *cringes

My CM-1090 didn't have a problem with it at all. I found a Harman Kardon when I was in HS that would have done the job, too but I don't remember the model number. Looking at it, separates might be the way to go for what I really want, anyway. F-mods and a pair of active subs anyone?

Integrated is good [voice=Forest Gump]'cause ya know, one less thing [/voice].

Bah.

Mo stuff mo betta :D

Not sure of your budget but I was just looking at an Onkyo A-9555. I think they can be found for about $500 and put out 200 watts per channel into 4 ohms. I'm diggin the silver version.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=A-9555...class=Amplifier

The Harman Kardon HK 3480 receiver is a good buy as well that will put out 150 watts into 4 ohms.

Amazon has it for $228. http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HK3480...r/dp/B0001FI49I

... and a small list of good budget stereo receivers... http://hometheater.about.com/cs/toppicks/t...tp2channela.htm

I'm looking for cheap. I don't really want something nice, it's going in the garage wihci typically has a layer of sawdust about a half inch thick over most of it. That's the main reason I'm considering used gear is because of price.

How about something with an IR remote repeater and placement in the next room? Will save on the gear and still allow you control.

Denon has a few 2 chan products that are 4 ohm stable and very affordable. Off the top of my head, I think the bottom two models are the DR-27 and DR-37, but don't quote me on that.