Sign in to follow this  
arande2

Enclosure/Port Questions Q18

Hey, this is my first post here at the SSA forum (oh whoopee :OhYeah::ehh: )....

My question (YES, QUESTION!) concerns the tuning and enclosure sizing for the Fi Q18 D2!

Firstly, I'm not too sure about the relationship between enclosure volume and tuning frequency. I did see the enclosure sticky, but am tuning differently than the sticky shows and am also not sure if the size stays the same for all tunings or not...I'm thinking it changes. I plan to tune to 16hz and wondered if 30ft

Edited by Andre

Hi Andre, glad you made it over here.

Hey, this is my first post here at the SSA forum (oh whoopee :OhYeah::ehh: )....

My question (YES, QUESTION!) concerns the tuning and enclosure sizing for the Fi Q18 D2!

Firstly, I'm not too sure about the relationship between enclosure volume and tuning frequency. I did see the enclosure sticky, but am tuning differently than the sticky shows and am also not sure if the size stays the same for all tunings or not...I'm thinking it changes. I plan to tune to 16hz and wondered if 30ft

I'm not sure I understand why you need another speaker for Infinite Baffle? Or did someone use IB to stand for Isobaric?

I'll go out on a limb and say that 30cubes is a bit on the large size...that's effectively an IB anyway...in which case you won't have ports, so there will be no high velocity port turbulance to overcome.

Why not build a 2.5" cube...4" wide slot port, 46inches long...gives you a tuning freq of 23hz, 114sqin of port area, and 10ish cubes (after bracing). That will give you a very flat response down to, or below, 20hz

Otherwise I'd go sealed.

http://www.passdiy.com

Check out "El Pipe-O"...sounds like a transmission line with a long line length is what you're looking for.

A 30cF box is technically IB, sure...but it's past the point of practicality. Just not a good way to go about it.

I thought I replied but I guess not. Heh.

Well I'm liking the idea of TL and the FS of the Fi suggests strong output to high teens. I still need to learn a good bit though. I wonder if I can design a box which will hold multiple 18s and a TL that will accomodate the extra driver area if I add on..putting only one driver on in the beginning. Hmm....lots to learn on that subject.

I just realized something.

I don't have any mdf.

I don't have any tools.

I don't know anyone that has either.

I'll have to save more money to afford the wood and use of tools. Hmm.

Well that's ok. It's kinda far down the road anyhow.

Edit: Nevermind about that... I have a friend that's willing to help out when the time comes...

I have a new question now...If I tune to 19hz with 20ft

Edited by Andre

Sign in to follow this