Sign in to follow this  
truckaudioman

Power for the fully loaded BTL

I have heard read many peoples threads about how much power they give their BTL's and cant help but wonder how much is actually enough (minimum power). I was looking at giving each about 2k watts for daily driving, is this enough? I don't wanna overdo it and burn out the subs cause I listen to my music horribly loud.

2kW is the manufacturer's recommended level.

if ur running it daily..i wouldnt go over 2500 watts..just to be on the safe side..

Lots of factors involved with this one. We rate them at 2000W RMS and you are good with that. While you probably wont be pushing things to their potential, the room for error is eased quite a bit. With cooling, a ported enclosure, and your subsonic set correctly, about the only failure mode would be massive clipping and heating up a coil (which you will smell before it becomes a huge issue and you simply turn things down) And at that... unless you have one heck of a nasty amp when clipping, the cooling should keep the heat in check.

Stepping up to 3kW on a cooled version, you often can reach mechanical limits of things... and your room for error gets reduced. With the 4kW and 5kW power that quite a few people are using, your margin of safety is gone and you can easily have both thermal and mechanical failures at that point. While most likely they dont feed them more than 3kW for most sessions, they definitely have the ability to ruin a sub. The only thing I feel that they do have going for them is headroom and plenty of clean power. I dont recommend that much power... and its not my call to make sure that you have the ability to set things up and use it correctly if you do.

I know for a fact that quite a few people will get on here happy as can be with 4kW+ per sub and no issues... but it would be irresponsible of me to give people the carte blanche to do so.

Thanks...

Scott

Thanks Scott. I was looking at running 2 RF4000's. I just wanted to make sure that 2k per sub will push them good enough, despite being rated at 2k. I keep hearing so many people saying this and that, I just wanted to make sure.

Sign in to follow this