zpeedyrosalez

a lil someting i like to share.

hey whats up well its my first time on this forum. and umm i wanted to share someting so u can tell me wat you think... umm i been writing this info in this months and i migth give you a lil preview of the first 3 parts that i made and i will like to know your feedback.

i wanted to do a full write up of all the things i know in car audio.. its not a big list since i dont know everything but hey at least i know something :-) well its been almost a month that i started doing this and umm i got some good info finished and i want you to see it..

plz dont start bein an @sshole if you have a problem with some i made pm or email me at extrmndor3@msn.com.

thanks

Hi, before reading or taking any info from the write up I made, please include that im not responsible for any troubles or problems/mistakes you make. And if your sharing this info go right ahead and please include or give me props for this write up.

Part 1

What

Part 3

Tips of finding your special subwoofer taste:

Not all the subs are the same if we took out loudness or spl.

Some drivers are different that others. Some driver can reproduce a 16 hz note without any distortion some drivers cant do it.

Spl: some specs and information you want to look for spl will be a stiff spider since is what helps the subwoofer move without bottoming out. A flexible surround, a low weight cone to increase efficiency, a big surface area to move some air.

If your going with the big boys you will have to look for higher power handling, great cooling option if you are going into high powered systems and a high power coil and a anodized coil for better thermal management. And finally on a spl sub will always be less xmax compared to a sq sub a high efficiency ration ( or spl typically good efficient subs are up to 90 dbs at 1 watt/meter) and a lil bit high Fs rating above 35hz.

Sq: some specs to help you find out a good sq woofer is mainly a stiff suspension, a low Fs rating, a high xmax ( is the one of the main things u can see a woofer going lower than the other since to make a tone one octave lower than a specified it needs up to 3 times more xmax to reproduce that tone) an oversized back plate so it can allow the woofer more excursion without bottoming out, a extended pole piece to extend the linear magnetic field for the woofer,

Some specs or info can be shared for both applications and are really important like a rigid frame so it can avoid unwanted resonance noise that some cheap frame make, a food Bl rating for good linear and magnetic field.

There

oh ehll i will throw some of other chapters i finishes.

Part 4

Building an enclosure and calculating volume:

To begin with if your making your own box first u have to make sure all the walls are properly mounted rigid and invulnerable to flexing when is subject to high pressure. On I suggest using

There is a lot of good info in this topic!

Sq: some specs to help you find out a good sq woofer is mainly a stiff suspension, a low Fs rating, a high xmax ( is the one of the main things u can see a woofer going lower than the other since to make a tone one octave lower than a specified it needs up to 3 times more xmax to reproduce that tone) an oversized back plate so it can allow the woofer more excursion without bottoming out, a extended pole piece to extend the linear magnetic field for the woofer,
Not always. Altec/JBL did wonders with low displacement, extremely low Mms, low Xmax drivers, that happen to sound excellent :)
try to use aero ports( they add up to 3 dbs when used property when compared o regular ports)

A sweeping generalization...

Keep in mind that EBP is not 100% accurate but is very helpful that

You lost me when you said "dampening material.(when needed)", deadening it is pretty darn near the most important part of the install if you ask me...it made me stop reading.

It looks like you have done some research, which is a great start but there are a lot of things beyond that.

Welcome onboard!

You lost me when you said "dampening material.(when needed)", deadening it is pretty darn near the most important part of the install if you ask me...it made me stop reading.

It looks like you have done some research, which is a great start but there are a lot of things beyond that.

Welcome onboard!

i have to disagree with you my friend.

some cars comes with already good amount dampening material already installed some doesn't come with not eve at least a decent amount of dampening material. and if your going with a small system and your car comes with a decent amount of dampening material you really dont need more since the beginner set up will never make your doors or roof really rattle. and even your doors speakers with the factory dampening material will never pick up unwanted peaks or door resonances.

when your car is not equipped with dampening material or it comes with cheap like some ford vehicles just come with a really slim layer of plastic you do really need dampening material...

when i put the parenthesis i had this in mind. if you want u can take alook again or i will psot it again.. "(when needed)"

some cars comes with already good amount dampening material already installed some doesn't come with not eve at least a decent amount of dampening material. and if your going with a small system and your car comes with a decent amount of dampening material you really dont need more since the beginner set up will never make your doors or roof really rattle. and even your doors speakers with the factory dampening material will never pick up unwanted peaks or door resonances.

when your car is not equipped with dampening material or it comes with cheap like some ford vehicles just come with a really slim layer of plastic you do really need dampening material...

when i put the parenthesis i had this in mind. if you want u can take alook again or i will psot it again.. "(when needed)"

Sound deadening lowers road noise and creates a relatively acoustically dead environment. It's crucial for a great sounding system. I haven't come across a car yet with good enough factory sound deadening.

Edited by greenflames10

i know sound dampening is very helpful i know what sound deading do to cars interior exterior and acoustics.

but there has been some cars that offered an option sound dampening option where they put tons of dampening material and from there if you have a small system you really will not be needing more. and they are maninly in high end cars, like mercedez, some Cadillacs and Lincolns or any other high end cars.

thats why i put the parenthesis (when needed) but most of the time you really need it.

Welcome onboard!

i guarantee you ///m5 can show that no car (save maybe a real highend bmw or mb) comes with enough sound deadening. and with his taste, setup, even with a single 8 subwoofer, he will dampen the hell outa a vehicle. he's after absolute perfection. the box for his single 8 weighs in at over 90 pds, so it doesn't flex.

while i'll agree that for most basshead installs, sound deadening isn't of upmost importance, bor someone like ///m5 who is after serious sq, it is indeed. and i agree with ///m5, today's cars don't have enough damping from the factory. you can never have too much, unless your chasing tenths on a meter.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Welcome onboard!

i guarantee you ///m5 can show that no car (save maybe a real highend bmw or mb) comes with enough sound deadening. and with his taste, setup, even with a single 8 subwoofer, he will dampen the hell outa a vehicle. he's after absolute perfection. the box for his single 8 weighs in at over 90 pds, so it doesn't flex.

while i'll agree that for most basshead installs, sound deadening isn't of upmost importance, bor someone like ///m5 who is after serious sq, it is indeed. and i agree with ///m5, today's cars don't have enough damping from the factory. you can never have too much, unless your chasing tenths on a meter.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

yeah msot cars only come witha thin layerof plastic dampening material liek i said on my last post.

Mine didn't even get that... just the backing on the carpet.

I upgraded that slightly. :)

Scott I would say a little more then that ;)

The Maybach has some good deadening. :)

Can I toss another wrench in the gears :D There is a difference between deadening and dampening. :)