Sign in to follow this  
harold

post your stories

okay i dont know about the rest of you, but i love hearing stories about how 'x' sub blew my friends away or my co-workers. the 'x' sub in this case will definitely be the magnum. so just post what you have accomplished or what other people have said after hearing it.

i'll start. yesterday was the first time i've really let anyone see/hear my 15'' mag. the first words out of my friend's mouths were "holy chit that thing is massive". then they were all that thing moves soooo damn fast it's crazy! i've never seen a sub move faster than that. good stuff. post away people!

I'll tell you all about IASCA finals two years ago when we took my sisters car down there (black '02 Sunfire - the first official demo vehicle). We paid for a 10x20 booth space with AC power, a banner, etc. We barely squoze (is that how you spell it) her car in that 10x20 along with a table to put up the Magnum, flyers, and business cards.

Anyway, we had a lot of people sit in there and ask us "you said you have two 12's right?" That was the most common response. The other most popular comment was "that's ported...it's got to be with only 600 watts." And I absolutely loved it when people would ask anything about the box, how many subs, how much power, etc, and I would pull down the rear seat and show them the 1.4 cube sealed box it was sitting in with a Hifonics Z600 sitting on top of the enclosure with 8 awg power wire feeding the amp. When they saw the tiny power wire, small box, and single sub, everyone said "wow."

We did that install to prove a point - that you won't need 1000 watts on a single 12 to have great sounding, loud, accurate bass. Not only was it a 600 watt amp, but it was being fed with 8 awg power and ground wire so it was more like 450-500 watts at best.

And then there's the time at the WV meet where I took a Magnum fresh out of the box from the build house and plugged it into a wall 5 times. That was cool. :slayer: I sold the sub too - it was in perfect working condition. :)

A guy at my school has a Jimmy with four 12"s in it. Two of them are JL 12w7's and two of them are some sort of new Audiobahn subs (why he mixes and matched them I dont know). He has a JL1000/1 pushing the two 12w7's and another ~600 watt amp pushing the two Audiobahns...

...this isnt really a success story, though, because it was really no contest...ill continue now...

...anyways, everyone at school thought that his system was just absolutely godly and that nothing could get louder, but obviously no one had ever heard a Magnum. His install was absolutely terrible! He had all four subs sitting in a sealed box (2 on top, 2 on front) that couldnt have been more than 4ft^3, and the amp settings were all set to their factory settings (gains way too high, filters all the way down).

Anyways, one day as I was coming to school I thought I would show off a little bit so I turned my 15" Magnum up and rolled down my windows as I was pulling into the parking lot. There was a free spot right behind his Jimmy for me to park in so I switched my song over to Lil Jon's Knockin' Heads Off and pulled up right behind him. You should have seen him break his neck to try and see what kind of beast had pulled up behind him B)

He got out and asked how many subs I had back there...I told him I just had one 15 and more or less this is what happened: :thud:

Loudest and cleanest sub I have ever heard :slayer:

I haven't had much to compare mine to, except my previous setup of 3 12w3s. Which I am very happy with my Mag, that is why it is in my car and my 3 12s are just sittin in my room. Anyways I was at work one night and this guy has an eclipse with 2 Kicker 15s, not sure what model, and 1000 watts running them. He asked me what I had and I showed him and gave a brief background on SI. Then he just had to ask, "let's see what it sounds like" after listening to his for a minute we got in my car and I put in some Outkast for him. He was blown away at how my 1 15 with 600 watts sounds better and is louder than his 2 with 1000 watts. It was clearly louder and very much cleaner sounding than the two kickers. So that was the first time I really had anything compare mine to and was plesantly pleased. Now I just need to find some more people to compare mine to. And I need to find me a PPI PC2350 and really power this sucker.

my mags beat EVERY JL dub sev that they faced off against B) . i was always proud of that fact. go to a competeition with $1200 worth of gear, meet people who payed $7000 for theirs, and blow them out of the water.

that and nick claims that i ruined his hearing :)

Hmm, well, I was first instroduced to SI through SIN and Lloyd's testing of one driver. Seems after that quite a few people jumped on the bandwagon and all I heard was nothing but hype for the Magnum, especially from Clarke!

So me, being the optimist took everything with a grain of salt and was actually negatively biased towards the Magnum due to the sheer fact of all the hype.

Then I get on this site one day and see a photo of the 15" version, and just HAD to have one. IT was very odd but something struck a nerve and I was hooked. Just on sight mind you.

So now I figure I get to see what all the hype is about.

The day of reckoning arrived when I was playing around with my 15, 4.2 cubes and 1200 watts.

I won't articulate, but anyone who knows me knows I am a tough critic with a very hard to please ear. Needless to say, I don't believe I have had a more joyous set of ears since the day I heard my MAG! :slayer: