jntar

Weight loss and stress questions...help!

I need to ask a few questions to my fellow health gurus Aaron and Steve, along with anyone else...

So I am severely stressed as you guys know. I have been eating the same as usual maybe just a tad less. I am however back in the pool for about 50-60 laps 3 times a week.

Here is my problem...

I have gone from 185lbs to 163lbs in 3 weeks max (I am 6'2" and thin framed). I am still going down at a rate of 1-2 lbs every 2 days. I dont feel healthy, but I cant eat more without making myself feel worse. Nothing worse then over eating...I hate that feeling.

I look better, but I dont feel better, I feel much worse. No energy, light headed...not good. I unfortunatly cant go to the doc cause I have no insurance.

Can you guys give me a few ideas as to maybe what to eat or change? I dont know what is going on other then stress and I cant afford to have no energy and be light headed all the time. I mean two days ago I felt like I was going to black out swimming casual laps...that isnt good.

My schedule...

8:15 breakfast (eggs and toast)

10:00 snack usually an apple or banana

noon-1pm lunch (varies...usually some sort of meat with broccoli and carrots and ranch)

6pm dinner (varies anywhere from hamburger helper to occasional fast food.)

Your light headedness could be attributed to low blood pressure. Head to one of the pharmacies and test your pressure using one of those machines. Do this more than once - do it over a week or two to form a basline.

You could also have high cholesteral. Aside from eating healthy, exercising and being "regular" there is no other non-doctoral method of maintaining this. There is also no way of measuring it either aside from a blood test. If it is too high you may end up requiring meds. All this is *if* you have high cholesteral that is...

m

Just an question, how much water are you taking in everyday?

Your light headedness could be attributed to low blood pressure. Head to one of the pharmacies and test your pressure using one of those machines. Do this more than once - do it over a week or two to form a basline.

You could also have high cholesteral. Aside from eating healthy, exercising and being "regular" there is no other non-doctoral method of maintaining this. There is also no way of measuring it either aside from a blood test. If it is too high you may end up requiring meds. All this is *if* you have high cholesteral that is...

m

Thanks for the info. I will go check it out this afternoon.

Just an question, how much water are you taking in everyday?

2 to 3 20oz bottles of water a day. I know I should be drinking more...

I'm kinda having the same problems, I dropped 40lbs really quick without exercising or anything and I don't really have much energy. I also get light headed sometimes when I stand up and my eyes go completely black and I can't see anything for a few seconds...

I don't drink as much water as I should, could that be a factor?

Edited by ILuvJDM

Honestly both of you sound like you need to do what mark mentioned above. If this continues, you should see a doctor, even if it is just Patient First.

I'm kinda having the same problems, I dropped 40lbs really quick without exercising or anything and I don't really have much energy. I also get light headed sometimes when I stand up and my eyes go completely black and I can't see anything for a few seconds...

I don't drink as much water as I should, could that be a factor?

Dumping that much weight in that short of time is not healthy at all. Are you stressed - girl problems, work problems, etc? Are you on medication? Some meds (well lots actually) have these types of side effects.

I'm certainly no doctor, but I've seen my fair share of issues with myself, friends and family to make some general observations...

Also, google is your friend. ;)

Stress is a bitch. I felt pretty lethargic for a while and dropped a few pounds. I noticed my workouts turning to shit as well.

In my case it was severe high blood pressure. I caught it early and solved the problem right away - I started knocking off stressors one by one until I was 100% ok - HBP is the 'silent killer'

See a doctor/walk-in-clinic/something and explain the situation. It could really be anything from extreme stress to a hormone imbalance (either brain or stomach).

Keep going with that meal schedule ... even throw in something around 3:00PM - along with your 10:00AM snack, have a handful of chicken wings, a salad, or a cup of rice along with the fruit if possible. Same for the 3:00PM one. I eat more in my 12 hour shift at work than I ever have before in that same time period.

Good tips Steve............is there any 'easy cary' or no stove required meals, that are good for this part of the day??

J

Well...I am now officially fudgeed. I seem to have a vomiting issue for no reason. I cough I puke. I sneeze too hard...I puke. Doesn't happen any other time.

Well...I am now officially fudgeed. I seem to have a vomiting issue for no reason. I cough I puke. I sneeze too hard...I puke. Doesn't happen any other time.

It's probably a good time to see a physician.

Hopefully the vomit doesn't turn red before you get there.

It's probably a good time to see a physician.

Hopefully the vomit doesn't turn red before you get there.

definitely, keep us posted as to what you're feeling and what the doctor says

On a side-note, can lack of sleep cause the same side-affects mentioned above? I know I never wake up feeling refreshed, but rather like I've been partying all night. Even after 8-9 hours of sleep or more.

-John

Hope you get better man.............I don't have a clue as to what to think.

Now john as for you, it sounds as if ur having restless sleep. Wake up unrefreshed and basically feeling like chit. I would say go see a sleep doctor. Have them analize your sleep patterns.

J

On a side-note, can lack of sleep cause the same side-affects mentioned above? I know I never wake up feeling refreshed, but rather like I've been partying all night. Even after 8-9 hours of sleep or more.

-John

Yes - a lack of, incomplete, restless, or otherwise disruptive sleeping patterns can cause stress-like symptoms.

You're probably constantly tired throughout the day, have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep at times, a little more angry and short-tempered than usual, have difficulty with memory, and may have even lost interest in previously enjoyed activities.

You might be rapidly gaining or losing weight, noticing frequent headaches and/or chest pain, become dizzy when standing quickly from a seated or lying position, and so on.

Stress can be a major issue when it comes to sleep, and vice versa. A lack of sleep can cause you to become stressed, which just keeps the circle going.

The point is, we as men think along the lines of: if I wake up and I piss blood or cut a finger off, I *might* have a problem and I *might* see a doctor about it.

In reality, stress is a huge issue. You have to make sure the bills are paid, food is on the table, the house is clean, you have transportation, you have a good job, your family is taken care of, your woman isn't cheating on you, paying the fcking bill for her wedding ring. You need dishes, washer and dryer, appliances, other home furnishings. You need a retirement fund and savings. You need to figure out how to finance a home worth more than your life. You have to keep in shape and perhaps train for a sport.

On top of all of it, you have to make yourself happy. Where is the time for yourself? What do you do for fun? How do you relieve stress and is it really that effective?

I always put everyone in front of me. I still do. This is why I'm burnt out and don't know how to relax. I'm high strung, high maintenance, constantly angry, depressed and stressed. Being educated in both psychology and kinesiology, I seen it coming quite some time ago. I tried to change my habits and become a different person ... but it didn't work.

A little bit of stress is ok. Just don't go overboard. Catch it early and don't let it take control of your life. It's not a manly thing to admit, but I don't care ... stress is stress and it is a pain in the ass. It can and will control your life if you let it. Anyone can give up... but to hold it all together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart ... that's true strength.

It could be as simple as you having a meal too close to bed, shitty pillows, improper posture, seratonin imbalance, etc. I just had to preach for a bit about stress because it's a major issue with this type of discussion.

-John

Yes - a lack of, incomplete, restless, or otherwise disruptive sleeping patterns can cause stress-like symptoms.

You're probably constantly tired throughout the day, have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep at times, a little more angry and short-tempered than usual, have difficulty with memory, and may have even lost interest in previously enjoyed activities.

You might be rapidly gaining or losing weight, noticing frequent headaches and/or chest pain, become dizzy when standing quickly from a seated or lying position, and so on.

Stress can be a major issue when it comes to sleep, and vice versa. A lack of sleep can cause you to become stressed, which just keeps the circle going.

The point is, we as men think along the lines of: if I wake up and I piss blood or cut a finger off, I *might* have a problem and I *might* see a doctor about it.

In reality, stress is a huge issue. You have to make sure the bills are paid, food is on the table, the house is clean, you have transportation, you have a good job, your family is taken care of, your woman isn't cheating on you, paying the fcking bill for her wedding ring. You need dishes, washer and dryer, appliances, other home furnishings. You need a retirement fund and savings. You need to figure out how to finance a home worth more than your life. You have to keep in shape and perhaps train for a sport.

On top of all of it, you have to make yourself happy. Where is the time for yourself? What do you do for fun? How do you relieve stress and is it really that effective?

I always put everyone in front of me. I still do. This is why I'm burnt out and don't know how to relax. I'm high strung, high maintenance, constantly angry, depressed and stressed. Being educated in both psychology and kinesiology, I seen it coming quite some time ago. I tried to change my habits and become a different person ... but it didn't work.

A little bit of stress is ok. Just don't go overboard. Catch it early and don't let it take control of your life. It's not a manly thing to admit, but I don't care ... stress is stress and it is a pain in the ass. It can and will control your life if you let it. Anyone can give up... but to hold it all together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart ... that's true strength.

It could be as simple as you having a meal too close to bed, chitty pillows, improper posture, seratonin imbalance, etc. I just had to preach for a bit about stress because it's a major issue with this type of discussion.

damn, that post really made me realize that pretty much describes me. My idea of stress is someone freaking out and yelling at people which is something I don't do, I always have a good attitude about stuff even when I have a headache or I'm hungover etc... but I still think I'm stressed. My other problem is I'm sort of a perfectionist. I think about every situation and go over every possible outcome and that's one thing that doesn't let me sleep. I usually think over what all happened that day and lately I've been thinking alot about this audio stuff and I haven't slept that well

I think I should see a sleep doctor, because this is affecting every aspect of my life.

-John

-John

It could be as simple as you having a meal too close to bed, chitty pillows, improper posture, seratonin imbalance, etc. I just had to preach for a bit about stress because it's a major issue with this type of discussion.

damn, that post really made me realize that pretty much describes me. My idea of stress is someone freaking out and yelling at people which is something I don't do, I always have a good attitude about stuff even when I have a headache or I'm hungover etc... but I still think I'm stressed. My other problem is I'm sort of a perfectionist. I think about every situation and go over every possible outcome and that's one thing that doesn't let me sleep. I usually think over what all happened that day and lately I've been thinking alot about this audio stuff and I haven't slept that well

I think I should see a sleep doctor, because this is affecting every aspect of my life.

-John

this describes me too

and i also have the get 8-9 hours of sleep and still feel tired during the day problem, and during the school year that manifests itself as me sleeping in most of my classes

Justin, when I lost my job I went through the exact same shit. Literally everything you've posted, vomit included. I went to doctors for months and they found NOTHING wrong with me. They attributed it to stress and put me on medication. Well, needless-to-say, the meds worked for a short while, then I began hallucinating because of them. They are still in my mind to this day. Just a step away from reality, and they were not good hallucinations either. So I dumped the meds and just started to work on my mind. I would feel a panic attack coming on and I'd just have to stop what I was doing and calm myself down and I'd be okay.

Lately here, I have been overstressed and these same symptoms have arisen again. I've now had to re-train myself to take care of them like before. I've been doing great this past week, and IMO, if you follow suit, you may help your situation greatly.

Good luck my friend!

Thanks Ryan.

I have made attempts to lower my stress level. I dumped the girl, I have began working odd jobs around for cash, and I am trying to get my finances in order.

I am not getting sick anymore, but I am still weak. I still cant go to the doc cause I dont have the money, but I will as soon as I can.

Just do your best to maintain sustinance and relaxation man.........take time out to watch the squirrles (spell check??)

IMO they can actually be kinda soothing lil puckers.

J

man, i hope you guys get things worked out.

i don't know if this is relevant, but john, on your sleep problem. have you tried sleeping less? if i sleep 8-9 hours, i wake up tired as hell and lethargic (spl?). i sleep 6 hours, and i wake up a new man, ready to tackle the world. basicly, i don't go to bed until i am good and tired, but jsut before i'm to tired to move. don't know if that helps, probably not.

and though i'll be a hypercrite on this, you guys are too young to not go to the doctor. you can make payments if needed, whatever. but don't let stress take over. i'm the exact guy steve described, if a body isn't chopped off, bones aren't sticking out or blood is my urine, to hell with a doctor. i won't even take an aspirin for a headache. that's not smart guys. when i had my big stress, steve knows about this, i dropped 45pds in 3 months. i actually went and talked to a clergyman. and made a trip to colorado to visit my brother's grave. i got everything out that was tearing me up inside. and throw a huge monkey off my back. i've gained 30 of those pounds back.

do what you got to do, but get it out in the open, get it off your chest and worse case, get to a doctor. it might very well be physical, and yoru too young to not take care of it.

and lastly, we're here. corny as it may sound. if nothing else, pm one of us. i'm pretty sure nothing will leave those pms.

best advice i can offer, live with the wheeee. life is entirely way too short to make it serious. have fun and enjoy it, it ends far too soon.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I gotta echo kent here man.............whole heartedly.

Stress is a bitch and if you don't get rid of it, it will take you over...............

J

that describes the past 23 years of my life. Wish i knew how the hell to change it.

wow must be a fast metabolism.

i had the same problem, and even though my weight was dropping, i was eating like a horse, and i still felt weak. i looked good as well, but felt like complete crap.

maybe theres other habits during the day that must change (sleep, vitamins)

as with stress, it could be because of the fact that you feel weak and your weight is dropping.

i wouldnt be the one to judge, but somehow find something that puts a spark back in your life. i usually lift weights to relieve stress