Sign in to follow this  
allConfused

amp rack

hey would you guys mind if i posted my amp rack plans that i need a little bit of help on, i know ive been pushing the limits of stupid non sub related stuff lately so i wanted to ask first hehe :)

howdy. im desinging an amp rack, and the dea behind it is theres going to be a peice of plexiglass covering the amp. the plexi glass will be flush with the carpet of the rack and the amp will be about 2-3 inches below the plexi. its hard te explain how im making the whole structure in words, but basically i have about 1 foot of room for how far back the amp will be from the plexi, so you can make suggestions about that. but the amp will still be encased in a box so all airflow from the fans will be hitting the amp still. the amp will be sitting on a peice of MDF. and the walls will be made of 2x4 wood. heres a picture of the plans. this is a top view picture.

540512_11_full.jpg

the striped out yellow area is the 2x4 that wil sourond the amp.

the big red box in there with + represents the area the amp will take up.

and the 2 blue boxes are the 4.65 inch fans capable of 106CF air movement per miute each.

the light blue lines fom red box to 2x4 represent how much space is between amp and wood. longways there is 2.5 inches per side and up and down there is 2 inch per side.

heres my question.

1. how far away should i keep the fans from the amp?

2. the air pushed in by the fans needs to escape. my idea was to drill holes or cut out some sqaures in the top plexi sheet so the air can get out though there.(heat rises)

so where should i put these holes if you think they will work properly?

i dont wanna make holes too big becuase the point of the plexi sheet is to protect the amp from "foriegn objects". 1 or 2 inch diameter circles is about as big as i want to make them.

P.S. there is much more to the amp rack than this, this is just a small segment where the amp will be.

this makes me want to cry. I had an amp rack very similar to what you are trying to do, until this lady rear ended me at 40 mile an hour while I was sitting still and demolished it and my car.

anyways... here is how mine was done. I had three 12w3s at an angle in the against the back of the trunk, then on the floor of the trunk I had my amp rack. It was made all out of MDF. I held three PPI PC amps had neon lights inside it (hidden, you could only see the glow) and fans, with plexi glass covering all the amps. and there was only about an inch or so between the amps and plexi. On each far end of the rack (left and right sides) there were what I think they are called, push/pull fans. and they had vents on top of them to where if you looked down at the rack you saw the plexi glass then on each far side of it was a narrow metal vent. the fans circulated air across my amps and out the vents into the rest of the trunk. My amps never got the least bit warm. These fans were long and narrow type. This is kinda hard to describe in words but I will try and find an old pic to post what I am talking about.

hope that helps. I would not put the fans under the amp, I would have the air flowing across the amp.

yeah the fans will blow over the amp. im a bit confused about your psuh/pull fan thing. first your says fans that pull air out then i read you had slits where the air escaped?