Sign in to follow this  
04-edge

is it possible?

well ive had my btl in for a few months now, but now, i want something louder. I also want to free up some room in my backseat, just because my current box is HUGE back there. what im wanting to do is recone my 15" fully loaded to a 12", and build a better/stronger box for it. i plan in the future getting a second 20.1, strapping them and adding a couple of batteries. I really want to break 150 on music, would i have a possibilty with a set up like that? i know its all install dependent, but with a good install, could that be possible, without having a fart box?

Edited by 04-edge

with a 12? doubt it...

you'd have to build a peaky enclosure, then it wouldn't sound anywhere near as good on music..

Agreed with Nick... VERY tough to do something like that... How big is the 15" box right now?

Well, this idea would take some extra work, but you could try and work out a sort of variable Fb port. Build an enclosure with a very large slot port. When you want to switch to a daily tuning, add a layer of mdf inside the port (lining both sides of the port wall). It's not the greatest solution, but it is an option if you're really hard up for big numbers out of a single sub, while keeping some daily capabilities.

Well, this idea would take some extra work, but you could try and work out a sort of variable Fb port. Build an enclosure with a very large slot port. When you want to switch to a daily tuning, add a layer of mdf inside the port (lining both sides of the port wall). It's not the greatest solution, but it is an option if you're really hard up for big numbers out of a single sub, while keeping some daily capabilities.

Or you could use AeroPorts, and either swap out PVC lengths for daily/SPL... or plug up one port for daily (to lower tuning).

I did this one summer when I competed, had 4 4" Aeroports, external, and had my SPL length PVC and daily length PVC.

nG

Or you could use AeroPorts, and either swap out PVC lengths for daily/SPL... or plug up one port for daily (to lower tuning).

I did this one summer when I competed, had 4 4" Aeroports, external, and had my SPL length PVC and daily length PVC.

nG

True, not sure why I was only thinking slot port. Utilize several aeroports for high SPL, and plug them for daily usage.

Great point Noah.

the box my 15 is in right now is 4.5^3. but with the dimensions i have in my truck, its just not optimal for a sub that big. like i HAVE to have the sub facing forward, and the box can only be 12-14 inches deep. the port extends almost the whole length of the box, and i had to trim part of it off to clear the magnet, i couldnt brace anything because the port was in the way and i didnt want to put a big a$$ dowell rod in the middle of it. thats why i think that if i build a better box for a 12, double up the mdf on all the sides that i can, add some bracing, and ill be able to posistion the sub in almost anyway i wanted to, to find out what is the loudest...

like i said, i think it would be bad a$$ to break 150, without having a fart box. but if i do switch to the 12 i definately dont want to lose any spl, which again, i think with a better box i wont, because mine right now does flex a pretty decent amount...and i have some other screw ups which id rather not talk about................

Edited by 04-edge

You keep saying not lose anything, are you currently breaking 150 on music with the 15 you have now? If you have the port sort of snaking through the box, wouldn't that act as bracing in any area where you'd need a dowel?

Edited by tejcurrent

i highly doubt im breaking 150, especially not sealed up...the port does help as bracing, but the front, and the back im guessing as well, flex a good amount. I personally thought with building a better box and when i strap the 20.1's breaking 150 wouldnt be all that hard, especially in my truck since its so small, but i can see thats going to be harder then i thought...so with that said, i definately dont want to lose any spl with this transition, which like i said, the box for the 12 would be much more managable and i could figure out the sub/port firing direction that works best in my truck, unlike what i have now, and it HAS to be firing forward for both, straight into my seats...

i highly doubt im breaking 150, especially not sealed up...the port does help as bracing, but the front, and the back im guessing as well, flex a good amount. I personally thought with building a better box and when i strap the 20.1's breaking 150 wouldnt be all that hard, especially in my truck since its so small, but i can see thats going to be harder then i thought...so with that said, i definately dont want to lose any spl with this transition, which like i said, the box for the 12 would be much more managable and i could figure out the sub/port firing direction that works best in my truck, unlike what i have now, and it HAS to be firing forward for both, straight into my seats...

Good luck! hopefully you wont do all that experimenting to find out that sub/port forward is the best configuration in there anyway :P

Sign in to follow this