philip

what did i do wrong?

this is a test box i built. okay it's 1.1cu. ft. and i had it tuned from 32-36-40-48. after trying all of these, the other box i have in the car is louder. do i not have enough port or wrong place? i don't know. at 32 hz the test box has a smoother transition. all the rest of the tunings were okay, not great. anyways my question is what size box would you guys recommend for spl and at what tuning? my car peaks at 43 hz in the old box. maybe i was expecting too much but after hearing the bl in my existing box i got all excited. just wanna try and make an spl box the one i have now is a pretty good dd. thank you in advance to everyone. btw it's a 3" port and a 10"bl

jun20_001.jpg

this is a test box i built. okay it's 1.1cu. ft. and i had it tuned from 32-36-40-48. after trying all of these, the other box i have in the car is louder. do i not have enough port or wrong place? i don't know. at 32 hz the test box has a smoother transition. all the rest of the tunings were okay, not great. anyways my question is what size box would you guys recommend for spl and at what tuning? my car peaks at 43 hz in the old box. maybe i was expecting too much but after hearing the bl in my existing box i got all excited. just wanna try and make an spl box the one i have now is a pretty good dd. thank you in advance to everyone. btw it's a 3" port and a 10"bl

jun20_001.jpg

its 1.1 cubic feet before or after all displacements?

also what was your other enclosures specs?

after displacement. it actually comes out to 1.098. other box is about 2 cu. ft. after displacement and tuned to around 33-35. i say about because i used packing peanuts to check.

philip

just a friendly reminder to check all your crossovers and SS filters a new box will need you to re-adjust all those gizmos to get it where you have a nice output......

Also some swear by it but i don't like external ports (i am not skilled enough to have them work well for me)......

I'd invert it or go slot port with rounded edges (though you may need to recalculate the volume for the port displacement)..

What are the ID dimensions of the box?

I think the 1.1~ ish volume is a good size.... What is your port area (i would suggest about 15~16 square inch of port area)...

the 15-16 is what i thought but ndmustang, i think it was, said a 3" aeroport was enough. so, i just tried some pvc and made different lengths just to try it out. i only made it external so i could adjust the tuning. i don't mind slot porting either, i just thought if i built a test box, i could convert it into some glass project. i'm just looking for some direction. sorry, i have the box at work but it is the inside dimensions minus the .11 for the woofer=1.1. lol i wanted the 1.2 but i measured once and cut twice, then ran out of wood. that's why it's 1.1 instead of 1.2. btw i had extra resin so the inside is glassed also. any help before i start rebuilding is greatly appreciated. i only wanted to build a test box to check the output and where i might put the woofer and port. still wanna build some spl box though. also, keep in mind that my whole set up is electrical, amp, sub. no xovers. stock deck, wal-mart converter. lol and before anyone gives me this, i know, dirty signal! but if i can't put out on a dirty signal, i can't put out on a clean one right? i'm planning on a 360.2 just wanna keep everything looking stock. hope this helps.

also, the ss filter is not adjustable on my amp it's either on or off. thanks in advance guys.

A aeroport is a LOT different then just pvc.

PVC in an enclosure is just like having a round port, it isn't flared, and you won't have enough port area.

Honestly man if your wanting to do spl the least you can do is get an aftermarket deck and get rid of the line out converters...

lol. thanks ndmustang. i was just trippin. just wanted to try some different stuff out. i don't know why i didn't realize the port flare would increase the port area. i'm dumb. shipping on prec. ports. or aeroports is killer. more than the part istself. i just wanted to try it out before i bought it. i still really didn't try it out because its not the same. excuse me while i cry in the car out of pure ignorance. all is not lost though, i can still use that test box and use a real flared port right?

you can either get a flared port, or just use a larger pvc port. The cutout for a flared port is bigger than the port diameter so you could go bigger and not ruin the possibility of adapting an aero

also aero ports can be smaller since the flare reduces the chances of scuffing or port noise...

PVC needs to be a little bit larger to avoid this problem...

Where a 3" aero won't produce port noise a 3" pvc might...

Aero has a different formula for Sq ft.

PVC is pretty much circumference times length....

i'm actually kind of embarrassed now that i look at what i did. i just got all excited to try something and had scrap wood laying around the shop. i know i need to get rid of those inline converters but do you guys think a 360.2 would get me around that problem or am i just putting on bandaids? still kinda want everything looking stock but i think i've been avoiding this for quite a while.

the rockford 360.2 would make it sound much better BUT if i am not mistaken you need a palm pilot to adjust the equalization and other features... I believe even the 360.1 requires a palm pilot...

this is from the manual for the 360.2

While 3Sixty will run without an external controller, a Palm

Edited by theabunai