Audio Junkies

Why no dual tweeters on speakers?

Just curious why no speaker manufacturer uses dual tweeter setups? I see multiple mids on a single speaker all the time, but I have never seen dual tweeters on a single speaker.

What would be the cons and pros of using two tweeters per speaker (four total for stereo)?

The question becomes "why?"

Most dual mid setups I've seen have been a mid bass and a midrange coupled with a tweeter per channel. Each driver plays its own set of freqs. For a dual tweeter setup to sound good, you'd need to do the same. If the first tweet can't play up to 20kHz, why use it at all? It would really just be an extended range mid at that point anyway.

Only reason I can see for dual tweets would be a tweet in the kicks playing the full signal strength, and another smaller tweet in the a-pillar that is attenuated like 6dB & playing 10k & higher to bring the stage height up.

Only reason I can see for dual tweets would be a tweet in the kicks playing the full signal strength, and another smaller tweet in the a-pillar that is attenuated like 6dB & playing 10k & higher to bring the stage height up.

Even then I don't think that is the way to bring the height up.

I might have misread but i think he meant more of a why do MTM's exist but no TMT

i'd have to say that most tweets have more than enough output, the dual mids are to help the output and make the LFE a little better

im using a 16 tweeter setup :)

Yeah, but you are from Florida and that is the norm down here. ;)

I should have mentioned in the beginning, I was asking this question from a home audio perspective. I understand it would be complete overkill in a car.

The question was sort of based upon when the tweeter would be the limiting factor. If someone were to run eight midrange drivers with subs to back them up, is one tweeter going to cut it?

I've seen tons of crazy speakers, many of them utilizing multiple drivers in different frequency ranges, but never dual tweeters. The only thing close would be a line source setup.

If you have the midrange and low-end to back up dual tweeters per speaker, would there be any benefits from it?

Center-to-center spacing would create very strange "combing" and power response artifacts.

If you need more output than what a typical 92db sens. 1" dome can provide (which I do) - its time to start looking at horns.

Oddly enough, today I got to listen to two different pairs of McIntosh speakers with five 1" tweeters per speaker.

XLS360pr.jpg

"The five tweeter Bessel Array is combined with a precision 6-1/2" woofer/midrange driver and precision crossover network forming the common "Voice" of the XLS Series."

From what the salesman was saying, some of the tweeters are wired out of phase. I listened to some Diana Krall on them and just wasn't feeling it. I was not impressed.