Sign in to follow this  
menikmati

Lookin at SSD's with copper coil

How would the upper-bass response (45-60hz) of the SSD's with the copper coils in 1.1 sealed? Are they also pretty accurate? I was considering two 12's hoping to get a flatter response and keep up with the accuracy and low-end of the Q (2.2 @ 32). I'm running 1200w to the Q but have around 1500w on tap with an MD2.

The copper coil SSD's sound freaking great and LOVE the lowlows...but they dont hit the 45-up range as hard.

They really shine as low end SQ monsters.

I hope this doesn't sway you from the SSD as I love mine. Great SQ and takes more than RMS easily.

Did I mention they sound GREAT???

1500 won't move 2 SSD's sealed the way you want...ported?

If you want flat, go with a bigger Q. It would be cheaper to have your Q rebuilt to a 15". They are pretty flat with good SQ ported and sealed.

What impedance is your q?

1500 won't move 2 SSD's sealed the way you want...ported?

IIf you want flat, go with a bigger Q. It would be cheaper to have your Q rebuilt to a 15". They are pretty flat with good SQ ported and sealed.

What impedance is your q?

I'm sure it would, I'm only looking for a better response, not insanely louder bass. Would the Q be better for what I need sealed? If so I can run two at .5 ohms in a sealed box.

Try them sealed i guess, there's no need to rewire them and run your amp that hard, it'l actually be running at .35ohm...

Btw if your that big into SQ you probably shouldn't be running amps that'l run that low anyways ;) class D amps aren't the greatest of sound quality amps..

Put your q into a ported box and see if that's not what youre after.

Porting will raise the levels of 40-60hz, but you lose alot of the sub-25hz (not real important, to me at least).

And ported boxes get louder. And are easy to build...and and and..

Really, the only con is that they are a little larger.

It is in a ported box. I'm not an SQ-freak, I just want better response from 45-60.

Tune higher?

Going sealed will PROBABLY not bring the peak up...it will probably make the peak point seem lower.

edit: Try a BTL? Mine SLAMS NUTS between 40-70.

Edited by dopey

It is in a ported box. I'm not an SQ-freak, I just want better response from 45-60.

Tune higher?

Going sealed will PROBABLY not bring the peak up...it will probably make the peak point seem lower.

edit: Try a BTL? Mine SLAMS NUTS between 40-70.

Try tuning to 45ish hz. My SSD15 couldnt hit squat for high end at 33 hz, now its finally vibrating my volvos steel hatch to the point where its almost too loud. To give a comparison, "this is why im hot" @ 33 hit lows amazingly, but couldnt hear the highs... the stock midranges were hitting harder. @46 Its gettin to the point where its too loud on the highs.

Just my .2

I'm totally confused by this thread...

I'm totally confused by this thread...

I thought I was the only one till now

Yeah, confused so you decide to post and tell people instead of trying to help. But of course RIckRolled, you're better than everyone else. I really don't see what there is confusion about, people don't know how to read.

I simply just asked if 2 12" sealed SSD's with the copper coil would keep up with the accuracy and the low-end of the Q (2.2 @ 32) and have slightly more output in the 45-65hz range. Basically a flatter response.

Honestly, the question wasn't that complicated. I'd email Scott, but even then I'd have to try at least 4-5 times to get one response. And I still need to pick a bone about being confused. Seriously, you've heard the SSD, you've heard the Q, and in a box close to my specs at that. So I'm sure you could answer the question if you'd please, but you decide to let people know you're confused. Thanks.

I dont hear the drop off in response that you do...in that same enclosure...and i'm assuming that jim didn't/doesn't either.

Said in the email try to seal them, a single ssd 12 sealed with 700 watts is more then enough to vibrate the mirrors on my car...don't see why the sealed output of 2 Q's wouldn't be enough...

Probably because of my trunk car. 1998 Passat, not exactly an output type of vehicle. I've heard same exact setups in my car and someone elses, my cabin is just hard to get loud. I only have a single Q, running two sealed might not be favorable for my electrical system if I wanna run them at .5 ohms (the Q I have is D2). Probably just gonna look at 2 SSD's w/ copper coil sometime in the future.

Edited by menikmati

Yeah, confused so you decide to post and tell people instead of trying to help. But of course JimJ, you're better than everyone else. I really don't see what there is confusion about, people don't know how to read.

I simply just asked if 2 12" sealed SSD's with the copper coil would keep up with the accuracy and the low-end of the Q (2.2 @ 32) and have slightly more output in the 45-65hz range. Basically a flatter response.

Glad to see who has the attitudes around here...

I was confused because I seemed to be getting two different vibes from the thread...one of

a flatter response and keep up with the accuracy and low-end of the Q (2.2 @ 32).
and the other of
I'm not an SQ-freak, I just want better response from 45-60.

Neither the Q nor the SSD has a steep rolloff, I used a 60Hz@24dB/octave crossover point and it sounded fine. Any higher and localization would start to be an issue.

What you're describing sounds like a lack of midbass.

FWIW.

I have some CMX's right now, getting some Germaniums installed sometime next week, so we'll see if that makes a difference. Doubt it will, but we'll see. There's just a bit more impact in that frequency range with previous setups I've had.

I simply said I'm not an SQ-freak in response to NDMstang's post saying that if that that big into SQ I shouldn't be running amps that low. I'm not that big into SQ.

As for your confusion, I guess if my system right now had slightly more output around 45-65hz, then it'd probably have a flatter response also. So I thought that in my application a flatter response and better response from that frequency range would go hand in hand, therefore that might be the reason you got two different vibes. Hopefully that'll help you help me.. heh, sorry for coming so harsh the first time, my bad.

Having your doors properly deadened and all large holes sealed up will allow your midbasses to extend deeper, and perhaps give you more of the upper bass you feel is missing, without trashing the soundstage.

CMX's shouldn't have a problem with going that low, but install is everything when it comes to this.

I havent measured any roll off until a fair amount above where you should be crossing things (80Hz+).

With the sealed SSDs you will gain ouput in that region and loose some where the current setup peaks and is tuned to... then itll pick up again on the ultra low stuff. Itll be a flatter overall response than the ported Q, and it seems like itd get you closer to what you are looking for... but I do agree with JimJ in that it might be a lack of midbass up front. Are you measuring a drop in teh 45-65 range with a meter? Or is this where you feel it is lacking? Over the years I have had many people tell me a sub lacks this and that... and what it comes down to with punch and attack 9/10 is a lack of a solid midbass upfront to really pull things forward.

Thanks,

Scott

Yeah, I've got about 2 good layers of Damplfier on the inner skin of my door panel, and 2 layers on the outer panel. The doors are also pretty much sealed up. The midbass is really live and peppy rather than full and powerful.

My 2 SSD's play well in the 40-50 hz range...

Sealed usually brings your tune a bit higher with a much better gradual rolloff (IMO)...

It still hit the lows but down into the 30-34hz range it does begin to show it's limitation (though i am giving it close to 1100 watts each so this coupled with my enclosures Fb is around 42hz may be the issue more then the freq response ~meaning playing below tuning with 1100 watts)....

I have ADS 6.5 mids in my doors and i read (i believe it was Jimj not too sure) someone mention fab a custom MDF piece instead of trying to make it fit into the factory crap-ass Plastic...

So i took it out fabricated a nice MDF panel then plopped them back in.... BIG difference in response and had a little bit of booooom to them....

Now i don't suffer from the dreaded "upper range lacking" issue...

And now with a brand new audiocontrol x-over/eq and a new sundown 100.4 I'm going to biamp and go completely active cause i really do love the crisp clean sound of music ALONG with my boomy bass....

Edited by theabunai

Sign in to follow this