mrogowski

SPL-12 Volume Test

This build log will hopefully provide enough information to those folks who are interested in the SPL-12 for high volume car audio use.

The criteria consists of:

- Mach 5 SPL-12 wired for 4 Ohm use

- 3.8 cubic foot bass reflex enclosure tuned to 46Hz

- 2001 Pontiac Bonneville

- Crest CPX-3.0 PA amp providing 3000 watts power into 4 Ohms

- CD source with all necessary test tones

- TermLab

Here starts the frankenbox

spltest-1.jpg

Frankenbox meet frankendriver

spltest-2.jpg

Box inside trunk

spltest-3.jpg

Details

Box tuning turned out lower than expected as the impedance measurement shows below. The port tuning ended up being 40Hz and not my expected 46Hz. For interpretation, the dip between the two humps is the box tuning. The lower hump is the peak of the port and the upper hump is the peak of the driver in the box.

spl-impedance.jpg

Happy and Disappointed

I knew the Bonneville wouldn't produce stellar results as it's a highly damped environment to begin with and separation between trunk and cabin is above average. I chose a frequency of 42Hz to burp as that was the highest output frequency in my test sweep.

I took three sweeps which obtained 139.9db at the highest peak. During the first two burps my Crest power amp kicked out and during the third, the breaker to the garage blew. It was at that point I knew I wouldn't get anymore out of my current setup. The amplifier output peaked at 108 volts AC to produce the highest volume level.

So overall, I was disappointed that my system could not produce more output, but I was happy that the driver took the power with ease, and seemed like it was looking for more. If I had an extra 2000 watts I would not have hesitated to use it on this driver.

After the tests, I played a couple of songs from the DB Drag CD to see how the sound quality was. What came to mind immediately was the bass being very solid and tight. I noticed no overhang whatsoever. The bass actually left me feeling excited as I listened to it, if that means anything to you. Needless to say, I found myself turning the volume higher and higher, only to trip the power amp again. It certainly won't win any SQ competitions, but what I heard, I liked.

I can only conclude (in my own biased way) that this driver will perform quite well for a daily, but make sure to have an ample supply of power as you will need it. For the pros, I leave it to you to decide whether the SPL-12 would work in your setup. I see myself using one in my car..

Best,

Mark

Looks like a nice start! That box is tuned lower and is larger then the one I tested. It should really help the bottom end grunt.

Finally the Bonneville is getting some love eh mark. ;)

Time to break out the Orions. :)

Is internal bracing in order in this build?

Edited by Puggsley456

looking forward to seeing this...

building the box in da house, eh?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

The Frankenbox is nearly complete. I doubled up on the baffle around the sub for added strength, but other than that, no special surprises.

I have to head out of town tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get the unit into the car on Sunday. If time permits, I will make up a Sonosub with the IXL-15 and burp that.

m

Mark, was that 3.8 before displacements?

Was it tough getting it in the bonneville?

Its net volume, and no, it slid in there nicely. The box is deeper than it is high.

m

I spy a vacuum. I suspect the CEO was not happy with the SPL dust on the floor. ;)

More power and open cabin I vote. :)

Yeah, she had cleaned the area up - then in I walk with everything.... again. :D

Side note: Does it feel any different for you with your companies logo on the driver?

It did for me. :)

very impressive, im curious how they would work sound wise in a daily app? Being SPL subs, of course I know that its not going to have the best SQ but its not design for that. Still be able to drop low? Maybe a pair running off a pair of 3000d's strapped? ;);)

I was planning to do a frequency response of the unit in my car, but I'm not sure just how much info that can/will give you. Every environment is different. I could do up a nearfield response to show the actual response if that will help...

I was planning to do a frequency response of the unit in my car, but I'm not sure just how much info that can/will give you. Every environment is different. I could do up a nearfield response to show the actual response if that will help...

Quite understandable Mark, thats very true every car is different. I know that everything that Mach5 has put out has had very nice SQ and im pretty sure this will as well considering what it was build for. If nothing else, I just enjoy looking at it lol, its a really good looking sub, thanks for the input.

any more input on how it sounds? I'm trying to decide between one of these a 12" btl or two 10" q's off 2000 watts i cant decide

Well, I can tell you from my limited listening in the Bonne what I *didn't* hear:

- Flabbiness

- Muddiness

- Mellowness

- Strain

Of course, one would say those first three aspects are box/install dependent. The volume I was listening at was more than what I would ever apply daily, and the sub did not have any crossover applied to it.

I can say with confidence that this is a hard-hitting unit, provided the right power is applied to it. With 2kw you should make it pretty happy.

I know in some spl subs the gap is very tight which can cause problems when ran daily is that true with this one? also will it perform decent in a smaller box 2.5-3.0 cubes im trying to downsize without losing any loudness and hopefully not too much sq. Sorry for the newb questions i know just enough to get myself into trouble

So long as everything remains linear there should be no issues. At the risk of sounding like a salesman, 2.5-3 would be fine. You won't lose much if any at all. I chose to go big because I want to use the box for future testing...

Do you have any experience with the btl? and how do they compare? I am kinda favoring this because it already has the 3rd magnet and it looks like a compareable btl would run me 409 shipped and this is 340 i love the sound of my truck now i just cant comfortably fit a passenger which sucks

sorry for threadjacking man

I'm sorry, I have no experience with Fi's products. Ok, I take that back. I was able to get my hands on a 15" BTL but not to listen to it.

BTW, the pricing you see on the website includes shipping. I guess I should make that more clear eh?

That would be a nice touch if there was something showing the shipping is free. I kept trying to get SSA to add the shipping on so i could get a total price to make a comparison.

Everything i hear about this driver is good. I will be ordering one when as soon as i get enough money saved. Are they in stock right now? And is it better to order through ssa or through the mach 5 site or does it matter?

Edited by thacarter546